HELP NEEDED ASAP PLEASE - 240 S/W Stalls

Old 11-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP NEEDED ASAP PLEASE - 240 S/W Stalls

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I really appreciate if someone could help me ASAP PLEASE.

I look through all the posts and found nothing about my problem.

I have a 1989 240 Station Wagon and I'm having issues lately.

My car stalled last night after I came back from shopping. I was trying to start the car and somehow the engine won't run, sounded like no gas was going to the engine.

After a few hours later, I called the tow truck company and a trucker tried starting the car before towing, and it worked, the car started right away. I drove home and this morning I was able to start the car and when I stepped on the brake and reverse the car, then engine stalled. Tried to start the engine and it wouldn't run.

Weird things happened a few days ago, when I was driving, then engine light came on, and I was trying to get the codes, but unfortunately the diagnostic code tool inside the hood has been disconnected by my mechanic. (don't know how to connect it back)
I checked my Air Mass Sensor connectors, all the wiring inside the hood, fuses, O sensor, and found nothing unusual. Then I disconnected the battery for a few minutes. - Engine light never came back since.

The next day when I started the car and when I stepped at the brake the defrost switch light came on and would only go off when I turned off the keys.

Please let me know what I should do to make this car run. I really don't want to take it to the mechanic as they will rip me off for this type of electrical work.

Thank you,

Wagonfreak

Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: HELP NEEDED ASAP PLEASE - 240 S/W Stalls

How old is the fuel pump relay?

Old 11-26-2008, 11:33 PM

If it's a B230 engine with LH-Jetronic fuel injection, go to www.stepbystepvolvo.com for free diagnostic guide for no-starts.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:21 AM

Thanks for replying Tech and Frebyte, you are probably right, I did look up at other websites and this one, sorry, didn't do a good research first before I posted, that most likely is the fuel pump relay. I am the 3rd owner of this volvo.

I just call the volvo dealer here and ordered the fuel pump relay for Cdn. $64.00 plus tax (that's a lot for a little relay, but I need it to find out if that's the cause)

My car has only 200k Kilometres and the fuel filter was changed at 155k KM - and I don't have to change until 50k mile (75k KM).

Tonight I will put the new relay and drive for a bit and see.

As for the diagnostic tool inside the hood, do any of you know how to connect it? Would've hoped it worked cause the codes will tell me more about the problems.

Thank you!

Old 11-27-2008, 11:05 AM

Gremlins (occasional no-starts) are hard to find and diagnose. Once you get a dead engine (always a no-start), it's easier to diagnose. The fuel injection relay is a good choice. You also want to check the connections to "87/2" on the fuel injection relay and the connection at the main fuel pump. Sometimes those connections work loose, giving a no-start condition.

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2008, 03:18 PM

Thank you Fredbyte. yes, I will try to diagnose the Fuel Inj. relay as well.

Thanks again all, I will let you guys know about the outcome soon, cross my fingers!

Wagonfreak

Old 11-29-2008, 12:17 AM

No luck yet, very frustrating now... The fuel pump relay works better, cuz it's new, and I felt a stronger "click" than the old one. The old one was replaced in 1998. Then I cleaned my fuse box and used dialectic grease. I started my car then turned off. Started again w/out
problem. Took my car for testing, when I stopped at the stop sign, heard broken noises from the buzzer (seat belt reminder) but sound it like someone grabbing a chicken's neck, yeah forgot my seat belt.. then I put the seat belt and buzzer stopped, wanted to make a right turn and noticed the turn signal indicator lights were off, and heard a few clicks from the relay then nothing at all.

So tomorrow I will buy one flasher relay (turn signal relay), and am not sure if the buzzer relay is damaged or not, but I don't really need it at this time. My manual doesn't say anything about the fuel injector relay and when I changed my fuel pump relay under the glove compartment I found no other relay.

Hopefully no more problems after fixing the turn signal indicators.

Any further advise would be appreciative.

Thanks,

Wagonfreak

Old 11-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Administrator

How does the engine speed sensor look?

Old 11-29-2008, 02:47 PM

Hi Tech, I don't know how the speed sensor looks like, but I think it's not that sensor. I just put the flasher sensor and now the indicator signals work. I also found out that my car now has 2 fuel pump relays??? one with 4 prongs part #1324675 and the other is the new one I bought for 64.00 part #P2037-2621 with 6 prongs. I disconnected the 4 prongs fuel pump relay and the car still started. Also good news the seat belt reminder relay has been fixed, I re-soldered all the points. (saved me $20 buck from a used one) part #136 2268.

Now I have drive the car and find out if there are any other problems that might arise.

Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks,
Wagonfreak

Old 11-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Administrator

The speed sensor is on the back of the motor. It goes into what looks like the top of the transmission. Look at the outer shielding. If the outer shielding is cracking falling off replace the sensor when you can that will make the car stall as well.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:32 PM

The speed sensor is on the back of the motor. It goes into what looks like the top of the transmission. Look at the outer shielding. If the outer shielding is cracking falling off replace the sensor when you can that will make the car stall as well.
Thanks Tech, I'll look for the speedsensor tomorrow andtryto get back to you.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:44 AM

Tech, I didn't drive my car for a few days, was trying to get more info on pricing for most of the relays. The seat belt relay costs $195.00 Cdn. (ouch!) and the defrost relay $64.00 both plus 13% tax. I didn't buy them yet.

Finally found the speed sensor and it looks OK, though, no cracks and the rpm on my gauge (got it from my friend's VW Rabbit) looks fine, doesn't go up and down much, just tiny bit.

So I started my car without problem this time, I think the new fuel pump relay helps. But the turn signal died again on me when I almost got home. At home I started my car without a problem, just the turn signal. Thought the relay was bad. Check the fuse box and all fuses were OK. Fuse #13 is for seat belt reminder, defrost and something else and it looked OK, but old. My brother told me to change some of the fuses because all of them are old and see if it will fix the problem.

Yesterday I got the ceramic fuses 16 and 8 amps from Volvo and the turn signals are working fine so far. No problems this morning starting the car and the signals work. Knock on wood, hopefully will last for a while.

I really appreciate your help guys and a BIG THANK YOU!! I'll be back!

Wagonfreak

Old 12-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Glad all is good so far.