I have to ask Enthusiasts Opinion :D

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have to ask Enthusiasts Opinion :D

First i would like to say hello glad to find this site. Little back story i am 27 years old. Had an 88 volvo 240 dl for my 2nd car. (first was a karmannghia that got stolen) Anyways forward through the cars till now. I was driving down the road in my e30 (84 bmw) And it caught on fire. So i have to find a car to drive till i fix my car. I have been looking over craigslist and its really hard to find a decent car. Anyways tonight i came across an 88 240 DL. 1 owner car. Short story Guys mother was the first owner of the car. She drove it until last year she bought a new car and gave it to her son, he drove it for 1 year until his dad passed away and then he got his dads new car. So he figured he does not need 2 cars so he is selling the one. I went out to look at it. 106k miles. Here is where i need "Enthusiasts" advice. Is there any reason not to buy it. The price is 1100 dollars. Not a dent on the car. The chrome strips around the door and stuff are flaky, but the paint is very decent for the age of the car. Tires are about 80 percent or more. Interior is very clean. There was oil coming out of the oil cap. I checked the levels and the levels where fine, Im guessing the reason for the oil leak, i remember there being a filter thing that gets clogged and when it gets clogged will cause oil to be pushed out of the cap. I wish i could remember the actual name of the item. I know the original ones where metal, but i think all you can find now are plastic. But if its clogged it will cause oil to forced out the oil cap. Anyways back to the car. Newer exhaust. Looked under the trunk carpet, clean. I did not find any rust. All the wiring on the motor looked fantastic, I know the wiring can fall apart on these older cars. Every receipt was in the car for any items for the car. Also the maint book was filled out, only thing about that is in the maint book i didnt see a timing belt done. Only saw oil changes/sparkplugs. Normal maint stuff. The OD button i think has gone out as if i pushed the button nothing happened. But i am fairly sure the car is in Over drive "on". The fan clutch was nice and sold no play in the water pump. So really everything looked fantastic except the oil out the oil cap(which i think i know whats the problem) and the O/d button not working. Any reason not to buy it for a daily driver? Anything else i should check? I am decently mechanically inclined if i can find a manual to walk me through it so i dont second guess my self. My dad is a mechanic but he has been doing it for so long that he really hates all cars, so he just keep telling me to buy a new civic, problem is it is not in my budget. Anyways just would really like opinions. Thank you very much