Late 80's 240 Fuel Pump(s?) Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late 80's 240 Fuel Pump(s?) Questions

Restoring a late 80's Volvo 240 and was wondering...

A) Where is this external pump that I keep hearing about?

*I yanked the internal pump after pulling the tank for a deep clean because that, along with the filter and other internal parts, were trashed.*

B) Is there any recommendations on brands or where I should pick up new fuel delivery parts (internal/external fuel pumps, fuel filters, fuel lines *see question C*, the whole shebang)?

C) What goes behind changing fuel lines and is this necessary after a two year sit with a full tank of gas or will a fuel/engine additive do the trick for cleaning those out? If not necessary, will doing so improve performance? Driveability? MPG? etc?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 AM

A: driver side under belly before rear tire....protected by triangular metal....three bolts

B: Local junk yard for main pump...found new one on a wagon that had bee in an accident.
for intank I bought mine from a local auto parts as they stocked it and had the sock filter as well for 58 bucks...but these guys carry them. FCPEURO.COM or IPDUSA.COM

C: fuel line should be fine.
change out the main fuel filter...late model had them on the engine bay...others next to the main pump under the car...
WHEN YOU ARE READY TO REPLACE THE MAIN PUMP...UNDO THE fuel LINE CLIPS BOTH WAYS...SO YOU CAN DROP THE ENTIRE PUMP UNIT....ABOUT 4 CLIPS TOWARDS THE ENGINE AND ABOUT 3 TOWARDS THE TANK....8MM I BELIEVE.

USE TWO BRICKS OR A BOX,, UNDER THE PUMP ASSEMBLY TO REST IT ON AS IT WILL NOT DROP COMPLETELY TO THE FLOOR
USE TWO WRENCHES TO BACK UP YOUR FITTINGS AS YOU UNDO THEM...DONT TRY TO LOOSEN THE NUTS/FITTINGS WITH ONE WRENCH... IF YOU KINK OR RIP THE LITTLE FUEL LINE FROM FILTER TO PUMP....(IF THEY ARE NEXT TO EACH OTHER) YOU CAN USE FUEL INJECTION HOSE...DON'T USE REGULAR HOSE....you will need tiny hose clips here...

Last edited by analogies; 06-05-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:23 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

if a car has been sitting a couple years, I think I'd siphon what you can out of the gas tank, add 5 gallons or so of fresh gas, disconnect the fuel return line back by the tank, run it into a bucket, and hot-wire the fuel pumps to flush out the fuel pumps and lines. AFTER doing this, plan on replacing the fuel filter.

only replace the fuel lines if they show signs of damage.

the fuel you siphon out of the tank, as long as it isn't TOO nasty, add a few gallons at a time to tanks of clean gas til its gone.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by analogies
A: driver side under belly before rear tire....protected by triangular metal....three bolts

B: Local junk yard for main pump...found new one on a wagon that had bee in an accident.
for intank I bought mine from a local auto parts as they stocked it and had the sock filter as well for 58 bucks...but these guys carry them. FCPEURO.COM or IPDUSA.COM

C: fuel line should be fine.
change out the main fuel filter...late model had them on the engine bay...others next to the main pump under the car...
WHEN YOU ARE READY TO REPLACE THE MAIN PUMP...UNDO THE fuel LINE CLIPS BOTH WAYS...SO YOU CAN DROP THE ENTIRE PUMP UNIT....ABOUT 4 CLIPS TOWARDS THE ENGINE AND ABOUT 3 TOWARDS THE TANK....8MM I BELIEVE.

USE TWO BRICKS OR A BOX,, UNDER THE PUMP ASSEMBLY TO REST IT ON AS IT WILL NOT DROP COMPLETELY TO THE FLOOR
USE TWO WRENCHES TO BACK UP YOUR FITTINGS AS YOU UNDO THEM...DONT TRY TO LOOSEN THE NUTS/FITTINGS WITH ONE WRENCH... IF YOU KINK OR RIP THE LITTLE FUEL LINE FROM FILTER TO PUMP....(IF THEY ARE NEXT TO EACH OTHER) YOU CAN USE FUEL INJECTION HOSE...DON'T USE REGULAR HOSE....you will need tiny hose clips here...
Thanks x100 for the helpful advice. Both fuel pumps, filters and the sending unit are out and am cleaning the parts I need to salvage. Looking forward to putting it all back into the 240 tomorrow and seeing how she sounds while running!

Old 06-09-2013, 01:39 AM

was your filter on the engine bay or next to the fuel pump? If it has been sitting for a long time I would freak out about the crud in the fuel and would siphon and add clean fuel as stated here.