Locked out of my trunk! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked out of my trunk! Help!

Hi guys,
Well I'm back with another problem that I hope somene can help me with. My 86 240s trunk is locked and I can't get it open. When I bought the car it only came with one key and would not open the trunk either manually or by the central locking system. Of course I assumed that the owner had the trunk manually locked and all I had was the valet key.
Well I called Volvo and had them cut me a master key that does work in the door lock, ignition and glove box lid but it still will not turn the trunk lock to open it up.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the trunk open?
Is it possible to remove the back seat and crawl through and take apart the locking mechanism?
I figure that either the trunk lock has gone totally bad or the previous owner replaced the lock at some point and has lost the key but either way I"m locked out and hoping not to have to call a locksmith.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

Old 06-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Default RE: Locked out of my trunk! Help!

The easiest thing to do would be to take it to a local locksmith and have them make you a key or just pick the lock. Im not sure what it would cost probally not a ton of money. Just hope there isnt a body in there
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-22-2007, 09:48 PM

My buddy locked the keys in the trunk of my car one time. What I did was remove the seatback of the rear seat and crawl through the hole into the trunk. Once you get the trunk open you can remove the lock and take it to a locksmith.Have him re-key thelock cylinder to match your existing key.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 PM

Yea a locksmith would be the easiest way to do it. I don't know if yours has it but on my '82 244 i have an armrest that folds down in the middle of the back seat and there is a flap that opens to the trunk. It is supposed to be for hauling a pair of skis but it has saved my *** when i've locked mt keys in there a couple times.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:40 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the answers. As I said before, I was trying to avoid a locksmith simply becasue I spoke to one and he said he would probably have to drill it. The way he talked, you have to know a lock to pick it and since this one is a Volvo....well he just wasn't comfortable trying it.
Now since I first wrote, I do have my trunk open now. What I did was take a chance that the lock cylinder had froze up due to not being used. This car has sat for the last 4 years so I knew it was a possibility. Well what I did was take some powder graphite and blow it into the cylinder. I then took my new $13.00 key (from the Volvo dealer) and began to work it back and forth. At first it wouldn't move a bit but after about 5 minutes of doing this I began to notice a little bit of play side to side. Well this was encouraging so I added more graphite and kept right on. Well after about another 5 minutes, suddenly I was getting pretty good movement and then in probably another five the lock finally started moving completely through in both directions. At this point I tried the latch and heard it click. That was good but since the trunk has been sealed for who knows how long it still wouldn't open. I actually had to do a dead lift on the trunk lid to get it to unseat off of the weatherstripping. Man it was tight!
Well once I got the lid up in the air I added more graphite and began working the cylinder again. I kept at it until everything was working freely in both directions. Right now the lock works like a new one which has me relived.
More good news is thatthere were no bodies in the trunk. That's always a bonus. There were however 4 very old fishing reels that work which usually fetch a pretty good price on Ebay. I was happy to see that. Unfortunately there was also a bag of "something" in the passengers side wheel well which had once been like dirt or perhaps bentonite clay. Of course the bag had disenegrated and the wheel cavity was full of this junk. I dug it all out and cleaned up as best I could . I was very surprised that there was a little bit of surface rust there but other than that the well was in great shape. A little POR15 on the place and it should be as good as new.
So, just another tale in my adventures of Volvo ownership. I think that once I finish working on this thing I am going to absolutely love it.
Thanks again and have a great weekend.
Dave