My recent hard start rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My recent hard start rebuild

As I had mentioned on a few posts my wife's car is a 1989 740GL which we bough new. It now has 307,000 miles on it and other then the rear seal leaking it has been pretty reliable. The typical repairs have been brakes and rotors along with the usual 50K belt changes. So about a year ago I started to have some minor starting difficulty. I didn't think to much of it until it started getting worse about 3 months ago and then became very difficult and even no start at times. The code was a 2-3-1 lean/rich fuel so I decided it was time to rebuild the fuel system. Started with the typical replace the fuel pump relay and then both fuel pumps and filters. At that time I found that the in tank pump was not working and the small rubber hose was cracked. After putting everything back together it started OK but still had problems so I checked the cold start system and checked the injectors. After going through the wiring diagrams and doing a little online search I zeroed in on the Radio Suppression Relay which I had no idea what it's function was. Hearing that this was a problem part and it's function was to power the injectors I just replaced it. This was the major hard start contributor and should have been the 2nd place to look after replacing a bad fuel tank pump. Oh the symptom was the car would start cold but after driving it for a while and trying to restart it , it would sometime start and sometime not. If you let it sit for 10-20 minutes it would usually start. So after replacing the relay and deleting the code it runs and starts just like new. Both codes are 1-1-1 so we are good to go. I just thought I would share this experiance.