Need '92 Volvo 940 A/C liquid line - cannot find!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Need '92 Volvo 940 A/C liquid line - cannot find!!!

I am melting down over here. Never had such a simple task turn into a complete and total cluster****!!!!

All I need is the liquid line for a '92 940 (I have an early model '93 with threaded fittings on the condenser). Part seems to be unobtanium. Used is out of the question, since the threaded end strips out and breaks off the line every time.

The problem with making my own line is this damn thing goes from a #6 (3/8" OD) to #8 (1/2" OD) line size, where it connects to the orifice tube section of pipe to the evaporator.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Does anyone that lives in a warm, dry climate have a used one they're willing to sell me? I'm 100% out of options.

Attached Thumbnails Need '92 Volvo 940 A/C liquid line - cannot find!!!-img_5982.jpg   Need '92 Volvo 940 A/C liquid line - cannot find!!!-img_5983.jpg   Need '92 Volvo 940 A/C liquid line - cannot find!!!-img_5984.jpg  

Last edited by Smithsonite; 06-23-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to a junkyard that I know has a '92 240 on Sat. Does the 240 have the same line or no?

Old 06-23-2016, 09:17 PM

I appreciate that, but I ended up dropping the line off at a company in the city this afternoon - they specialize in high-pressure hoses for industrial applications. My buddy who is a truck driver recommended them.

Said "no problem" when I brought the mess in- they can make anything there. Could have it metal again, or just a hose - I'll probably go with the hose since it's cheaper, easier to install, and easier for me to repair in the future if needed.

Didn't expect this project to drag out for 4 days, but it is what it is. Also found out I have the wrong accumulator too. :roll eyes: Just had to drive down to Eeuroparts to grab the correct condenser yesterday. Batting 1000 on this one ...

This project was 10x more aggravating than our '86 Grand Marquis was. That was a walk in the park compared to this! Tough finding parts, and I'm discovering differences between early '93, and late '93 models. What a pain in the ***!! I posted '92 since that's what fits my early '93.

i'll post up some pics of the new line when I get it back. Hopefully this will help anyone else that comes across this nightmare in the future.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:41 PM

Finally got this project done. HOLY COW what a NIGHTMARE!! Parts today are just not what they used to be. Everything is made in china with the cheapest possible garbage - nothing like what these cars came with off the showroom floor back in the day. Lots of bending incorrectly bent lines, and fighting parts that just don't line up like the OEM stuff did. Condenser was bent right out of the box from eeuroparts - had to drive all the way down there to grab it after Rock Auto sent me the wrong one. Car is a '93, but must be an early model '93. It shares more parts with '92 and back than '93 & up.

Anyway, the fight was worth it. Had 31°-38° vent temps today in the high 70's - it's the same on setting one or setting 5 - system works great! Using R12, so that has alot to do with it I would imagine.

Got my custom line, but even that ended up screwy. They had no straight fittings - only a 90° in stock. Would've had to wait 2 weeks for the fitting to come in, and I had had enough of waiting by that point - my pickup was unusable due to all the parts, nuts, bolts, and o-rings I had laid out on the tailgate, and our '86 Grand Marquis was getting rained on and then baking in the sun - needed to get this project done ASAP, so settled for the 90. Looks goofy, but it works - that's all I really cared about anyway.

So, the only parts I reused on the whole system were the evaporator, metal orifice tube line, and high pressure vapor line (compressor to condenser). Everything else is brand new. Best to start fresh on a system this age anyway.

Totally amazed at Volvo quality in those days. Every single pressure switch works! This system sat inop for who knows how many years. Car itself sat a year and a half in my yard - not parked on pavement, but on dirt - about the worst way to store a car. Was buried under 9'-10' of snow off my barn roof for 2 straight months one winter. It all works! Amazing!

The one thing that failed was the fan relay. Once I got it out, I found it was an aftermarket KAE brand. The contacts weren't even square to each other - they overlapped, hanging over the edge of the other, which overheated the contact (close to 20A on low!) and caused it to stick. Fan wouldn't shut off when I shut the car off. It just ran and ran and ran. After I unplugged all 3 switches on the condenser, plus the temp switch in the radiator, and it STILL ran, I knew what it was - gave the relay a whack, and it shut off. Grabbed the OEM Volvo relay off my parts car, and that one works great! That one's been sitting out back a year and a half with the hood half open.

If only they built stuff of this quality still today.

Anyway - figured I'd post up some closure to my issue. VERY happy with the system!

Attached Thumbnails Need '92 Volvo 940 A/C liquid line - cannot find!!!-img_6017.jpg   Need '92 Volvo 940 A/C liquid line - cannot find!!!-img_6018.jpg   Need '92 Volvo 940 A/C liquid line - cannot find!!!-img_6020.jpg   Need '92 Volvo 940 A/C liquid line - cannot find!!!-img_6021.jpg