Need Advice For Aftermarket Radiator Install 740/760 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice For Aftermarket Radiator Install 740/760 Turbo

I just purchased an aftermarket radiator from ipd and have a few concerns before install.
Specifically all of the brass connections all located at one side of the radiator.
Since the radiator itself is plastic I am worried about over-tightening
How tight should the brass fittings be tightened and is any plumbers tape required?
Also do any of the fittings on the radiator require more tightening or are they factory tightened?
And any other words of advice you may have.
I bought all new hoses, clamps, radiator switch and seal and thermostat that I will install at the same time. I will also do a flush as well.
Thank you so much.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:18 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by SwedeAtHeart
Since the radiator itself is plastic I am worried about over-tightening
How tight should the brass fittings be tightened and is any plumbers tape required?

Also do any of the fittings on the radiator require more tightening or are they factory tightened?
No plumbers tape needed, they are flare fittings, use two wrenches if possible to prevent movement inside the radiator.

You should not have to tighten the large nuts holding the trans oil cooler inside the side tank of the radiator - they generally never leak there

The nuts on the oil cooler lines - may not come easily loose - be careful trying to get them undone, use 2 wrenches, I have seen destroyed oil cooler lines where the nuts (the people using the wrench) twist the lines - maybe have some penetrant (sp) handy if needed.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
No plumbers tape needed, they are flare fittings, use two wrenches if possible to prevent movement inside the radiator.

You should not have to tighten the large nuts holding the trans oil cooler inside the side tank of the radiator - they generally never leak there

The nuts on the oil cooler lines - may not come easily loose - be careful trying to get them undone, use 2 wrenches, I have seen destroyed oil cooler lines where the nuts (the people using the wrench) twist the lines - maybe have some penetrant (sp) handy if needed.

Thank you so much!

Old 10-17-2020, 08:52 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

yeah, i'd say its *critical* to use two wrenches, preferably 'flare wrenches' which are like a box wrench with an angle offset on the handle and a missing side, so they can be slipped over a pipe. make absolutely sure the fitting thats on the plastic tank does not turn at all, while you tighten the flare nut down on it.

Old 10-18-2020, 07:55 PM

thank you

Old 10-24-2020, 03:35 PM

I have installed the new radiator. It is leaking from the brass to plastic connector on the radiator that connects the small hose from the reservoir. It is a connection that the customer is supposed to install-a brass fitting you are supposed to screw into the radiator. It is brass into plastic. I am afraid of over-tightening. I have snugged it but have not applied a lot of force.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:12 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I have installed the new radiator. It is leaking from the brass to plastic connector on the radiator that connects the small hose from the reservoir. It is a connection that the customer is supposed to install-a brass fitting you are supposed to screw into the radiator. It is brass into plastic. I am afraid of over-tightening. I have snugged it but have not applied a lot of force.
The Nissen OE radiators I've installed came with all the fittings already installed.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:37 PM

It is leaking from the brass to plastic connector on the radiator that connects the small hose from the reservoir. It is a connection that the customer is supposed to install-a brass fitting you are supposed to screw into the radiator. It is brass into plastic.
The factory and the nissens radiator have plastic nipples - so I don't know what to say other than buy a better radiator. (sorry) These guys have a nissen for $118.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/417...RoCiL0QAvD_BwE

Old 10-24-2020, 04:44 PM

Also, the 2 brass connections for the automatic transmission coolant that come mounted on the radiator are loose. They have 2 male attachments on either side-one screws into the radiator and the other side for your connection. These are loose in the radiator and can be turned by hand. Should these be tightened or should they be left loose?

Old 10-24-2020, 05:41 PM

These are loose in the radiator and can be turned by hand. Should these be tightened or should they be left loose?
You should contact your vendor for instructions - to make sure if something breaks while you are doing things that don't normally need to be done - you will still have a parts warranty