Need another persons opinion on fusing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need another persons opinion on fusing! (SOLVED)

So proud and recent new owner of a 1982 GLE
I've been doing some decent work bring her back up to speed (as the car is currently de-registered)
One article included changing out the old fuse box for a more modern one from skandix that uses blade fuses. I have however had a few teething issues one of them being that fuse number 12 keeps blowing. All my 8 amp fuse slots have 7.5 as that's the closest i could get and they're working fine without failure in my other 8 amp slots. Cept for 12. Putting the car into reverse immediately blows the fuse, didn't do that before with the old fuse box and so this is the part where i need someone else's opinion.

Looking at the old fuse box (I've kept it and all the old fuses in their original spots) and number 12 on the old box the fuse has a 16A printed on the side (is pink as well)
I know that there were no issues at all with fuses blowing in reverse before changing to the blade type box so i'm wondering if i just throw one of my 15's in instead of a 7.5. The manual says 8amps though and so does other posts i've seen related to this, so i'm very 50/50 because if a 16 before didn't blow anything on the old surely a 15 on the new wont blow anything either. You guys are the experienced folk so i'd like to hear your views!

Last edited by TheDuck; 04-25-2022 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Solved!
Old 04-25-2022, 08:24 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Attach an ammeter in place of the fuse and measure the current draw before upping the amperage on the fuse - Be sure to have a way to disconnect the ammeter quickly in case it's a direct short. So if the fuse draws 10 amps you know it's ok to put in a 16a fuse. However if it draws over 10 amps (most volt/ohm/ammeters have a 10 amp or so limit before an internal fuse blows in the meter) You have a short somewhere. Easy way - remove the wires at the fuse one at a time until you find the circuit that is drawing too much current. Maybe the ac compressor - just guessing, don't have a wiring diagram in front of me.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
Attach an ammeter in place of the fuse and measure the current draw before upping the amperage on the fuse - Be sure to have a way to disconnect the ammeter quickly in case it's a direct short. So if the fuse draws 10 amps you know it's ok to put in a 16a fuse. However if it draws over 10 amps (most volt/ohm/ammeters have a 10 amp or so limit before an internal fuse blows in the meter) You have a short somewhere. Easy way - remove the wires at the fuse one at a time until you find the circuit that is drawing too much current. Maybe the ac compressor - just guessing, don't have a wiring diagram in front of me.
I never thought of that. I'll give it a shot when i'm home i suspect it probably wont be a short on the account of never having issues with the old fuse box but wanting to be thorough. I'll reply back if that's the solution.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
Right test done and it was about 9.56 Amps so threw in a bigger fuse and all is working now. No parts went boom, although i did have to give one of my reverse lights a little tap to get working
Thanks a bunch for that.

Last edited by TheDuck; 05-01-2022 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Spelling error! Get outta ere!
Old 04-30-2022, 12:49 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Try and find a shop manual for future reference.