no start/rough start /die

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no start/rough start /die

Ok i just finished rebuilding my b23f in my 83 245. the engine is installed all plugs, grounds, hoses are installed (i think). The car ran at first but very poorly. there was a hiss from a vacuum leak, that i assumed was causing the poor idle. I redid the timing belt and distributor to make due it was right, and now the car won't run.
My first concern is the injectors. They all have the same color wires and i do not know which injector goes to which cylinder.
I did find over a dozen corroded wires, Due to the insulation deteriorating. Replaced. I believe i replaced all failed wiring.
I am out of ideas any one have any?
Thanks

Old 05-22-2013, 09:32 PM

if at first start it ran rough....then after re setting the three timing marks: cam, intermediate and crank shaft...something went wrong there TURN YOUR CRANKSHAFT 360 DEGREES, CLOCK WISE BACK TO THE MARK AND TRY AGAIN
WIRE SET NOT IN SEQUENCE....FIRES LIKE THIS: 1-3-4-2

Jetronic right? and not K-jet....the latter has a giant rubber funnel under the intake manifold

QUESTIONS:
white distributor cap? just a bit different than the others.

INSPECT:
coil connections for contact and corroded wires.(my problem...turn on first try then nothing after) I had one connection still connected but only with the wire insulation..
Solenoid connections (starter)

Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 PM

since the first no start, i have reset timing several times, as well as the distributor.
jetronic
Orange distributor cap
It is acting as if the timing is off but the the marks all line up at cylinder 1 tdc
As well as the distributor.
The block and rotating assembly are from a 91 B230f and the head and remaining components are b23f
I was told there wouldn't be any problems with this swap
could this be the problem?

Old 05-23-2013, 05:58 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I would check for spark, fuel, compression - in that order. When you put together the new engine, did you drop in your old distributer? I haven't pulled a distributer out before but perhaps it isn't aligned properly with the half-shaft?

Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 AM

I have spark because it does fire for a second our two before it stalls and i have fuel because it is backfiring into the intake, which is why i it seems like tuning is off. I will check compression tonight.
The distributor turns with engine rotation i checked on line for compatibility between the old intermediate shaft and the new engine and they had the same part number

someone pointed out to me that the new b230 had a different stroke length than the b23 and that the electronic ignition and fuel module may be different?
Could this have an effect on the engine?

Old 05-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

The electronic ignition system is different on the two - this was mainly why I asked the question about which distributer you used. If you used all parts from your original ignition system, you should be fine. You just can't mix and match parts from the two.

From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like an ignition timing issue. The correct order for firing should be 1-3-4-2. Make sure the spark plug wires are in that order. After that, I would go back and double-check the alignment of the timing belt. For this, don't rely on the timing marks of the harmonic balancer to determine TDC as the outer pulley may have slipped. Instead, align the groove of the crankshaft with the casting mark on the engine. There is a diagram here that shows this alignment:

Engine. Seals, Belts, Crankcase Ventilation

As far as the stroke being different on the b23 vs. b230, this shouldn't be any problem.