No Starts Relay issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Starts Relay issues

Dear 240 GL Volvo users: Volvo 240 GL 1992 Canadian import model adventures: Where to begin it started with hot no starts then a stall but always a restart when the things cooled down. My alternator was giving signs it needed to be replaced and winter corrosion on electrical connections was showing up. I replaced the alternator which solved the problems of erratic voltages. So after cleaning everything I could find the problem of starting escalated to a no start condition either hot or cold. I knew I had a problem on my hand. As I knew the wiring was good I looked for the Fuel Pump Relay. I could not find it where it should be. But I did find in on the passenger side under the kick panel tucked up beside the computer. Taking it out was no problem and further taking it apart posed no problem. What I found was typical of the type of soldering found on these relays. I used a jewelers 10X magnifier and examined the points to my amazement they were in perfect shape next looking at the printed circuit board I found the solder was crystalline and a ring around one connection point. That’s it, so to be sure I used a Fluke Digital Multi Meter to check continuity of the relay devices and the diode by the way there are two relays on the circuit board. The continuity check reviled a lack of continuity on the board all the parts on the board however were in perfect shape the solution re-solder the whole board. So that is what I did and the relay device put back into the vehicle. I tested it and the my efforts paid off the vehicle is running in perfect shape. I have gotten use to the start up purr of the fuel pump and it is back.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keith McCourt
Dear 240 GL Volvo users: Volvo 240 GL 1992 Canadian import model adventures: Where to begin it started with hot no starts then a stall but always a restart when the things cooled down. My alternator was giving signs it needed to be replaced and winter corrosion on electrical connections was showing up. I replaced the alternator which solved the problems of erratic voltages. So after cleaning everything I could find the problem of starting escalated to a no start condition either hot or cold. I knew I had a problem on my hand. As I knew the wiring was good I looked for the Fuel Pump Relay. I could not find it where it should be. But I did find in on the passenger side under the kick panel tucked up beside the computer. Taking it out was no problem and further taking it apart posed no problem. What I found was typical of the type of soldering found on these relays. I used a jewelers 10X magnifier and examined the points to my amazement they were in perfect shape next looking at the printed circuit board I found the solder was crystalline and a ring around one connection point. That’s it, so to be sure I used a Fluke Digital Multi Meter to check continuity of the relay devices and the diode by the way there are two relays on the circuit board. The continuity check reviled a lack of continuity on the board all the parts on the board however were in perfect shape the solution re-solder the whole board. So that is what I did and the relay device put back into the vehicle. I tested it and the my efforts paid off the vehicle is running in perfect shape. I have gotten use to the start up purr of the fuel pump and it is back.
Very nice intelligent work sir...impressive