passenger front window won't roll up

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default passenger front window won't roll up

My Volvo 240 1990 DL passenger front window will not roll up. It's electric. My cousin rolled it down, and it rolled down with no problems. but nothing happens...no noise or anything...when trying to roll it up. Is this the switch or the motor that is at fault? Any suggestions? my drivers window works with no problems, but that is the only one.

Last edited by dman777; 07-25-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try BOTH switches, driver's and passenger's door, and if they both do nothing, then it'd be the regulator or motor inside the door, most likely.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:09 AM

ya, both window switches won't work on it. the happened once before and suddenly out of the blue it worked once and the window rolled up and i never rolled it down again(until today). If I got the door panel off, is there a way to roll it up manually? I never use that window and don't care if it works. Also, my book doesn't really good directions on getting the panel off. it is hard? i tried useing a flat head screw driver to get the panel off but it won't budge.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:48 PM

i'm going to try and take the motor from the rear window door and use it in the front just so i can get the window up. right now i am trying to get the door panel off. the bently book i have doesn't give much detail on taking the panel off. in fact, it even fails to include an extra screw in the arm rest.

do i need to take off the inside door handle ****? if so, where it the screw and what size?

thanks,
-darin

Last edited by dman777; 07-26-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:19 PM

There is a chance that BOTH switches are faulty, so try swapping them around to eliminate that possibility before you start digging into the motors which by the way rarely go bad. By that I mean, use a switch you know is good, to test the window in question.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Here's a site on door handle repairs. It shows removal of the door panel. First remove the arm rest, the window control, and the unlock ****.

http://cleanflametrap.com/doorHandle.html

Old 07-26-2009, 05:13 PM

ok, good news and bad news! i got the door panel off successfully without breaking anything. i'm really happy about that. now the bad news: i replaced the switch with the one from the rear door that i knew it was working, tried in on the front passenger side, still the window won't roll up. Here are my symptoms:

1) When I hit the press down(for window to roll down) i can hear the motor make a click noise. But when I press up I hear nothing.

2) With ether switch(the one from the rear that i used to test and also the current one) on the bad window: there is a spark from the switch casing when pressing on the down button, but when pressing up there is no spark. there should be one because when i used the same switch on the rear window(that works) there is a spark for ether direction.

Is this the the motor, the window regulator, or both that is bad?

thanks,
-darin

Old 07-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like it is either the motor or a regulator. Try clicking the swithch on the drivers side to make sure it is not canceling out the other switch. Or unplug the driver side door switch (for that window). Also, you can try tapping the motor. I once had a switch the broke on the inside and it may stop the others from working.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:17 PM

ok, i'll have to check the other side. i tried tapping it but no success. i'm in luck because i found someone who will sell me a used one for $35.00 with the motor and regulator, so i'm going to buy it just to be safe. whew.

thanks,
-darin

Old 07-29-2009, 08:43 PM

Bad news, this looks like a wireing problem. Here's what I did:

I bought a used window motor and regulator. It was in really good shape and made in 07. After I installed it I noticed I when was wireing it up the ground wire from the car switch harness was burnt...like greasy black instead of copper. After wireing it up the new window regulator and motor it did the same thing the old one did: the window would roll down but not up(I made sure to use a good switch). So i bypassed the burnt ground wire and hooked up the good black wire from the motor to the switch but still no luck.. So I went to the driver side panel and took it apart. I noticed the window switch harness on the driver side panel that goes to the troubled passenger side window had red tape around it. I unplugged the switch harness(on the drivers side panel) and plugged it into a working window switch harness to make sure that switch wasn't bad. It worked fine...so it's the harness with the red tape that seems to be the problem. To make things even worse, the passenger side window will NOT work at all(roll down) if the switch on the driver panel is not plugged in. What do I do at this point? I'm really starting to feel defeated.

Here are the photo's I took of the wireing harness on the drivers side:
http://picasaweb.google.com/darin.he...WindowWireing#

Thank you,
-Darin

EDIT: I have an idea. All i need to do is get this window up one time and that's it...never need to use it again. How about if I buy some extra wire and run the front motor to the rear passenger side window switch harness? Would it hurt if it powered two window motors at the same time(just to get the front window up)?

Last edited by dman777; 07-29-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I would NOT wire both windows together. It would be best to get a harnest from a junk yard or something. The drivers door with all the switches is the master controler so I do see why the passenger side will not work with the drivers door disconnected.

In the mean time, you should be able to lift the window up with the motor out, then install the motor to keep it up.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:56 PM

Go to www.stepbystepvolvo.com for guides on window switches. Lots of times the contacts get corroded; it's not hard to clean the contact surfaces.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by rspi

In the mean time, you should be able to lift the window up with the motor out, then install the motor to keep it up.

do I just take off the motor or the gear box also?

Thanks,
-Darin

Last edited by dman777; 07-31-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:52 PM

Anyone have a good website to buy repair parts for this type of problem. I have a 90' DL 240 My window switch mechanism is all messed up also. In order to get any window to work I have manually switch the switches around. The only one that works in my passenger switch on my driver door.

Thanks.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by tedv
Try BOTH switches, driver's and passenger's door, and if they both do nothing, then it'd be the regulator or motor inside the door, most likely.
So I am having the same problem, but I have a 1992 volvo 240 wagon. The passenger window will roll down normally but it will not roll back up. When I use the passenger switch it rolls up and down normally.. any thoughts? Thanks

Old 10-04-2016, 06:00 PM

I'm assuming you are saying that the "passenger window will roll down normally but it will not roll back up" refers to the driver master switch. Since the passenger switch works, my guess is that the contacts need to be cleaned at the master (driver) switch that controls the passenger window.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by fredbyte
I'm assuming you are saying that the "passenger window will roll down normally but it will not roll back up" refers to the driver master switch. Since the passenger switch works, my guess is that the contacts need to be cleaned at the master (driver) switch that controls the passenger window.
Yes I am referring to the master switch, any pointers on how to get inside the switch box itself? I'm 17 so I'm not so mechanically inclined

Old 10-04-2016, 06:52 PM

Go to Home and click on "Replacing Window Switch" and "Refurbishing the Window Switch," both in left top column. Now is your time to learn some basic physics (electrical circuits). Physics is a good thing to learn in high school and college. I first learned to work on cars from my father when I was in my teens, before the age of the Internet. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2016, 03:44 PM
Default Just get a stick and prop up the Glass Window

Just get a stick and prop up the Glass Window. Easy fix since you are not planning on using window again.

Aloha, tug Boat Annie

122 volvo 64,68,65 1800 volvo 68, 72 240 volvo 92 and 240 wagon 89

Old 10-27-2016, 06:30 PM

If you've got a broken regulator arm or a jammed one, rather than replacing the power window regulator assembly, look for a manual one with a crank. It's probably less expensive and easier to maintain.

Quick Reply: passenger front window won't roll up