Please help? B21ft: Cold start, hard! Warm start, no problem! Have experience /input?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help? B21ft: Cold start, hard! Warm start, no problem! Have experience /input?

Hello folks,

First off, can I take a second to thank everyone here? I'm new, and one must always appreciate when a newbie gets any kind of help!

A question... My '82 240 turbo b21f has problem to where it takes 8 or 9 tries for the car to start and actually STAY running. I can start it up and make it stay running the first time by squirting some gas or a lot of starting fluid inside the intake before starting though.

Warm starts are no problem. She starts RIGHT up. Now when she sits for 30 minutes or so, it takes maybe 3 tries, max, before she stays running...

I've heard some things about the "Warm-up regulator"... could it be this that is faulty? How about the cold start switch? It seems that the car is just not getting enough gas upon cold start. Could it be that the fuel system is not staying pressurized somehow? Boy, my 240 would be embarassing to take a date to dinner with in this state.

Things Ive done: Check both fuel pumps, (GOOD), Check air filter, (GOOD), Install clean fuel filter, Check vacuum lines.

I would REALLY appreciate some help. Thanks a BUNCH.

Rod
DecalService.com

Old 10-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Default RE: Please help? B21ft: Cold start, hard! Warm start, no problem! Have experience /input?

[align=left]I think the '82s had that old Jetronic crap. Sorry, I'm not well versed. Did you try all the basic stuff, like compression check, tune up?
[/align][align=right] [/align]

Old 10-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Please help? B21ft: Cold start, hard! Warm start, no problem! Have experience /input?

On that car it has a relay under the hood and a valve that should buzz all the time(forget name) but that helps with cold start.
Also how much gas is in the car?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:31 PM

Cold start problems: Old 240s have a cold start injector and a thermo time switch. It's easy enough to switch out the cold start injector (and it's reasonably priced, I believe). There is a procedure for testing thermo time switch (Haynes, Bentley), but it may be easier (and cheaper) to go to a junkyard for a replacement. Brand new thermo time switch from IPD is about $125. I believe it is on back of engine, but never had to replace mine.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:58 PM
Default Hard to start problem SOLVED

Dear Volvo owners.
I had very hard time finding a logic answer for the hard tostart when cold problem
I been reading many many many posting regarding this problembut no one (( I MEAN NO ONE )) ever really came up with solid answer on how toresolve this headache.
I am not a mechanic but I analyze everything in logical wayand I think I might find a very good answer (hints) to resolve this nightmareand help others.
I bought 2001 V70xc with about 190Kmiles and it came withhard to start (specially when cold ) problem, I did the usual things , Tuneup,plugs etc, etc,
Next day same problem,, came on line and start to read,, youtube, every available resource and still no luck.
I even replaced the ignition coils and still no difference
Finally I start to go little deeper in the problem which isthe spark plugs ,, every time I rook them out they are fully covered withsoot,, not light coat but a lot.
I realize it is RICH running issue, too much gas, less airand did every possible vacuum leak test you can think of, everything is tight.now time to think more about the gas, the supply, the fuel pressure and relatedmatters. I started with the filter was unusually heavy (after I drain the gasfrom it) which indicate tons of dirt inside, then checked the fuel pressure atthe fuel rail during running engine it was 55 PSI , Next day start fresh earlymorning,, fuel pressure is ZERO when the car is cold,, turn the ignition on andthe fuel pressures remain ZERO. ,, I even changed the antenna ring, no luckstill.
back to the wiring diagram and replaced the fuel relay underthe dash board ,, now I got about 40 PSI when the ignition is on but still hardto start,,
My last resort was the readjust the fuel pressure and theidea came from watching something related on YouTube
I purchased ((ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR)) fromEBAY, under $20.00 and for extra assurance I purchased in-line CHECK VALVE for$6.00 from ebay
that was the answer for my problem,,
Damn I hit it right,, after 4 months of searching and tryingdifferent things ,, OMG what a release
Please review the attached pictures and see what I did,,that might help the next V70xc with a headache (NO START ) owner

Old 03-01-2017, 11:40 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

you posted that on a 8 year old thread about an early 80s Volvo 240 Turbo with the B21FT, in the 240/740/940 forum, these 'redblock' cars have little or nothing in common with your 2nd gen V70

Old 03-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Thumbs up 240/740 Hard to start

I had this problem as well several years back, To solve the problem it is very very very simple, Look for 2 green relays next to the firewall or next to the electric fan shroud , swap the 2 relays or buy 2 new ones, your hard start problem will be solved
Good luck

Old 12-04-2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by tmounib
Dear Volvo owners.
I had very hard time finding a logic answer for the hard tostart when cold problem
I been reading many many many posting regarding this problembut no one (( I MEAN NO ONE )) ever really came up with solid answer on how toresolve this headache.
I am not a mechanic but I analyze everything in logical wayand I think I might find a very good answer (hints) to resolve this nightmareand help others.
I bought 2001 V70xc with about 190Kmiles and it came withhard to start (specially when cold ) problem, I did the usual things , Tuneup,plugs etc, etc,
Next day same problem,, came on line and start to read,, youtube, every available resource and still no luck.
I even replaced the ignition coils and still no difference
Finally I start to go little deeper in the problem which isthe spark plugs ,, every time I rook them out they are fully covered withsoot,, not light coat but a lot.
I realize it is RICH running issue, too much gas, less airand did every possible vacuum leak test you can think of, everything is tight.now time to think more about the gas, the supply, the fuel pressure and relatedmatters. I started with the filter was unusually heavy (after I drain the gasfrom it) which indicate tons of dirt inside, then checked the fuel pressure atthe fuel rail during running engine it was 55 PSI , Next day start fresh earlymorning,, fuel pressure is ZERO when the car is cold,, turn the ignition on andthe fuel pressures remain ZERO. ,, I even changed the antenna ring, no luckstill.
back to the wiring diagram and replaced the fuel relay underthe dash board ,, now I got about 40 PSI when the ignition is on but still hardto start,,
My last resort was the readjust the fuel pressure and theidea came from watching something related on YouTube
I purchased ((ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR)) fromEBAY, under $20.00 and for extra assurance I purchased in-line CHECK VALVE for$6.00 from ebay
that was the answer for my problem,,
Damn I hit it right,, after 4 months of searching and tryingdifferent things ,, OMG what a release
Please review the attached pictures and see what I did,,that might help the next V70xc with a headache (NO START ) owner
can you send me pics of how you attached the adjustable regulator?

Old 12-04-2019, 07:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Warm start

Hey brotha im glad you figured it out and didnt give up.
Yes i had that issue before, but on an 89 740 na.
it was only the main fuel pump check valve not holding pressure. Easy enough fix... Take care be safe Osss

Old 12-04-2019, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bwillis
can you send me pics of how you attached the adjustable regulator?
I don’t see the attached pictures!?
Also, what pressure did you set the adjustable fuel regulator to in order to start the car?? Thanks

Old 12-04-2019, 10:52 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwillis
I don’t see the attached pictures!?
Also, what pressure did you set the adjustable fuel regulator to in order to start the car?? Thanks
that was a 2-3 year old post about a V70 XC (Cross Country) which has *NOTHING* in common with a 240/740 except the Volvo logo on the grill. totally different engines, totally different fuel injection, etc.

The following users liked this post:
digital.mick (11-13-2021)