Regina vs. Bosh fuel pump relays on my 1994 940 wagon

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 09:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Regina vs. Bosh fuel pump relays on my 1994 940 wagon

I've been dealing with a fuel system issue, my wagon ran low on gas. It was parked, then wouldn't start after it sat for a day...it will crank and crank, but no go. It did run once...and now will not at all again.

The relay second from the far right was warm, which brings me to my question.
The car is a Regina, I'm having a hard time figuring out which relay is the regina, and I've heard that there can be an alternate location for the relay on the regina relay panel...

If this is so I'd love to know about it folks.
It's a 1994, I know model years were different as well
Thanks!

Old 12-24-2014, 10:03 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the last couple years of non-turbo 940s, they got rid of the fancy double fuel pump relay they've always used (leftmost relay in the middle row), and instead used the under-the-hood 'radio suppression' relay to power the ECU, and a simple relay in the rear-most row second from the right to power the fuel pumps. This is the same on bosch and regina cars.

if you ran out of gas, you might have damaged the in-tank fuel pump. I doubt hte relay would fail.

more likely, you need to do a complete no-start diagnosis, and determine via elimination if your problem is ignition or fuel injection related, then narrow it down.

Engine Tune and Performance

Old 12-26-2014, 01:42 PM

It did start, and even drove a bit as well. I went out the other day, turned it over and it just about started on the first key turn then nothing.

The fact that it ran, then didn't, then did makes me think fuel. And I did feel the relays once after it stalled, 2 were warm/hot to touch as well.

Also, when I go to bleed the Schrader valve on the rail there's no gas. One time when the car stopped running on the road it DID have fuel come out, and then it started up.

Now, no fuel and no whine from the pump,but I'm not sure I'd hear it anyway.

I've seen about 3 locations for this relay, I have both so I'd like to just start with checking these first, access to the panel is difficult, I'm disabled and I can do some work, a tune up isn't a problem but laying on my back, is plus I'm 6'5" and I've got huge hands. I can only reach the fisrt row of relays as it is.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:43 PM

It did start, and even drove a bit as well. I went out the other day, turned it over and it just about started on the first key turn then nothing.

The fact that it ran, then didn't, then did makes me think fuel. And I did feel the relays once after it stalled, 2 were warm/hot to touch as well.

Also, when I go to bleed the Schrader valve on the rail there's no gas. One time when the car stopped running on the road it DID have fuel come out, and then it started up.

Now, no fuel and no whine from the pump,but I'm not sure I'd hear it anyway.

I've seen about 3 locations for this relay, I have both so I'd like to just start with checking these first, access to the panel is difficult, I'm disabled and I can do some work, a tune up isn't a problem but laying on my back, is plus I'm 6'5" and I've got huge hands. I can only reach the fisrt row of relays as it is.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:52 PM
no mo volvo

remove the cigar lighter/cubby thats above the ashtray for relay access. to remove this, you unsnap the plastic bezel around the cigar lighter, then theres a screw or two behind that square bezel, remove those screws, and the tray comes right out, with just the wires to the cigar lighter hanging out, after this, it should be MUCH easier to access the relays.

according to my electrical greenbooks, a 1994 Regina should have a single fuel pump relay in position "M", the row closest to the fuses and 2nd from the far right. relay position "N" at the far right is empty, as is relay position "E" (middle row, far left) which is where all prior 740/940 had their combination fuel ecu/pump relay.

note that when the engine isn't turning over, the fuel pump doesn't run either, except for 1 second when you first turn on the key, and when you crank the car.

a regina car also only has an in-tank fuel pump, there's no "main" fuel pump under the car. the intank pumps are hard to hear.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:35 PM

I switched the relay out, and yes that's exactly what my relay panel looks like, but no luck.

Same thing, I turn the key and the engine sounds like it's going to fire up for a second or two and then it stops and won't start. Just turns over and over until the battery dies.

I'm going to try changing the filter, then I guess maybe the fuel pump, unless there's a chance another relay could be bad, say the ignition relay. I'll try putting the other 12 amp in there.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:36 PM
no mo volvo

you have to be sure its the right type of relay, just because it fits in the plug, that means nothing.

you could try jumpering from pin 1 to pin 3 of the fuel pump relay socket, that should immediately turn on the fuel pump, even if the car is switched off.

there's another critical relay for the fuel injection system under the hood, this is the 'radio suppression relay', which my diagram for a 1994 regina car suggests is in front of the ABS modulator and behind the right headlight. this relay provides the power to the fuel injectors themselves, and also the ECU. disconnect the plug at an injector, and use a volt meter between the fuel rail ground (make sure its clean and shiny) and that plug, and with the ignition turned ON, one of the pins of the plug should be +12V (the other one could be most anything and doesn't matter).

btw, I don't believe there is any ignition relay.