Rough running 740

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rough running 740

Hey everyone,

I just got my grandmothers old 89' 740 TIC wagon running yesterday but which has been sitting for 10 years, I am pumped to get the thing running because it only has 58000 miles and looks fresh to death but unfornunatly sounds like death right now. There is a bad noise coming from the engine and I cannot figure it out. I took a video on my phone and threw it on youtube any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79OtpY3CR8U

Thanks, Colin

Old 04-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds almost like an exhaust leak? If it's been sitting that long, did you change the oil and replace the fuel and filter. Also would not hurt to do the tune-up.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:58 PM

Thanks for the quick reply

It sounds like it might be coming from that area, I replaced the fuel pump so I went ahead and changed the filter as well, I could'nt get the oil bolt out so I put penetrating oil on it and im going to try again tommorow after school, will post asap

Thanks, Colin

Old 04-19-2009, 11:35 PM

Sounds like it could be the exhaust manifold. Either a blown gasket or a crack in the manifold itself. Be careful with the oil drain plug, you don't want to break the head off.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:02 AM

If it is exhaust manifold, you should be able to see it/feel it as it is RIGHT there on the manifold... The sound seems more like mechanical to me but it is hard to say by the You Tube video.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WEll if thats a 91- exhaust manifold on there which I suspect it is it would take an act of god to crack it. But it could be a bad gasket or something not tightened down on the exhaust side making it have that noise. You should start it and run it in the darkest place possible to see if there is any flames coming out on the exhaust side.

Can't really tell from the video or your description. But,does it rev all the way to 6000 rpm's? When its idling is is the motor shaking all about. It almost sounds like a really bad miss. Have you pulled the plugs to look at their condition? How come the car stopped being driven? Is the car running really rich? There are about a million questions, but the more we know the more likely we can help.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM

Thanks for all the replys,

Ok Its been raining here so I havent been able to work on it today but heres the story, the reason the car was sitting is that it was my grandmothers and when she died it was tied up in the estate or whatever and just resently resolved, as for parts I have replaced the plugs, fuel pump and filter, checked the fuel pump relay, and the sparkplug wires. The car will rev up all the way and seems plently fast when drivin but i have nothing to compare it to because I never drove it before it sat due to the fact I was 7.

Tonight I will check if I can detect a leak from the manifold

Thanks, Colin

Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 PM

Just went out and started it in the pitch black and saw nothing from the manifold, the shift up light is on, when I hold the gas peddal to say 3500 rpm's the turbo guage bounces around a little (leak in exhaust???), I dont know how accurate that is but tommorow ill see if I can order a new gasket, it is an 89 manifold and I was thinking about upgrading to a 90+ eventually if anybody has one they wanna sell let me know and I would just put it on now

Thanks, Colin

Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 AM

Get those old fluids out ASAP, filter or not, the gas has turned to lacquer and running it with that oil is not helping. Siphon the tank as best you can then fill it and add some dry gas or seafoam, Try a compression test to rule out a sticky valve.

I second the earlier post, plug wires, rotor, cap and moisture can cause lots of problem,

BTW why did you replace the pump?

Old 04-21-2009, 05:29 PM

Im currently in the process of flushing all those nasty fluids out and I replaced the pump just because it was not working. Ordered a new gasket it will be in tommorow, I'll go ahead and give her the full run down of electical and other bits tonight if I can.

Thanks, Colin

Old 04-21-2009, 06:43 PM

+1 on not running it with the old fluids in it. If the gas is 10 years old, I am surprised it is running at all. Running gas that old through your fuel system will clog up your pickup, lines and injectors. I would get that stuff out ASAP and run a fuel system cleaner through with a fresh tank of gas and new oil/filter. Also replace the coolant, dif fluid, etc. Any liquids in the car will have broken down at this point. Also throw a new air filter in there when you do the tune-up. Take out the O2 sensors and clean them with electrical cleaner also for better performance/mpg.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:10 PM

ok so for compression Ive got 155, 150, 150, 145... 1-4 respectivly

Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 PM

a tad off but on the up side, no stuck valves. that just leaves gas and spark.

Last edited by soundmiami; 04-21-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:48 PM

Wow murphys law in effect today,

I stopped by autozone today to get the new gaskets and went out to my truck and opened the box and saw one missing so then I went in and was told that there would be yet another wait for them because of the special order, so then I went back out to my car only to find that the fuel pump in my yukon died, sooo after I got that towed, I went home to go move the volvo and you guessed it that doesnt start now either.

Colin

Old 04-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 740 Problems...

Sorry to hear that you are having problems getting that car running. I'm with everyone else, please do not start that car with ANY old fluids in it. Did you get the oil plug out yet?

I had a '87 740 GLE a few years ago and it was by far the best car I ever had but I must say, I'm a little afraid of cars that sit for more than a year. To many things can stick, rot, sour, etc.

I have not watched the video yet, but I use to have bolts on my exhaust manifold come loose and it would make noise.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:15 AM

Hey
no I havent got the plug out yet I hit it with some PB Blaster this morning and ill give it another shot after school. Other than oil and gas what are the main fluids I should change?

Thanks Colin

Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 AM

My laptop speakers aren't the best; but I agree with those who said it sounds like an exhaust leak. However, I doubt that an exhaust leak, by itself, would account for the miss in the engine. Change the fluids and get fresh gasoline into the tank. Check every vacuum line connection and all vacuum hoses for cracks/leaks. I know you said that you checked the plug wires; but I would re-look at that possibility. Thoroughly clean the terminals at each end of the wires (if you haven't already done so). Go back and run the engine in your "dark place". Watch the ignition wiring carefully while running the engine at different RPM. I once bought a used Mustang that drove me nuts until I finally spotted a little blue streak dancing around the distributor cap. The cap had a tiny crack that was virtually invisible to the naked eye; but it was the cause of a consistent miss in the engine.

Keep us posted on your findings...happy hunting.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 PM

I just got it running again and managed to change the oil and gas, it doesnt seem to lagging or running poorly now just loud I got a few of the exhaust manifold bolts of tonight but then it got dark out so I put it back together for tommorow, At this point it deffinatly makes sense that if exhaust related. On a compleatly different note (no pun intended) the radio doesnt work the head unit goes on but no sound, ill have to crawl back there now, hopefully I wont run into any more "residents" living there too!

Thanks, Colin

Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Fluids To Change...

Here are the fluids that need to be changed:
  1. Oil
  2. Gas
  3. Coolant
  4. Transmission Fluid
  5. Brake Fluid
  6. Power Steering Fluid
  7. I believe that car also has real axle fluid
Yes it sucks a little, getting a car that has been off the road back on. But the bright side is that once it's back on the roan, you should have many years of cheep transportation.

Other things to do before it kicks you in the pants:
  • Change the timing belt. A break could destroy the engine, not such a big risk with that engine though.
  • Change fan belts.
  • Change / check the battery. A weak battery could cause stalls.
  • Change the fuel filter.
  • Change the air filter.
  • Change tires. Old rotten tires are simply dangerous.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:48 PM

Broke a bolt while taking of the manifold, how much trouble am I in I know its a lot?