Stereo Install problem - powers on for only 5 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Install problem - powers on for only 5 seconds

I am a newbie to this forum, but am attempting to install a cd-player into my 83 volvo 240 dl wagon. When I hooked it up I get enough power that the clock display will turn on for about 5 seconds then the screen will turn off. The screen only turns back on if you hit the eject or display button but will then go black again. (It seems like there is only enough power to run the clock?)

The wiring is a bit confusing so this could be the problem, but it seems wierd that I get power for a couple seconds. If you have any suggestions let me know. Also, should the car battery be unhooked while dealing the stereo power cable? Don't want to get fried....

Old 01-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't done the 244 stereo yet, so I am not sure on the wiring hook ups.

It is good practice to unhook the battery cable whenever working on the car or electrical. What kind of headunit? where did you tap in for the power?
when are you testing so it only displays 5sec... Car on or off?

Wait for the experts to get on.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:55 PM

I will try to answer those questions:
I tapped into a black wire that we measured to have 12 volts, so is likely attached to the battery. I also had the grounding wire hooked up. In order for the deck to turn on, the key must be in the ignition but it does not matter whether the ignition was on or off. There was also a mysterious green wire that does not appear to be a speaker wire. I am using a brand new JVC cd player from best buy -- JVC 50W x 4 MOSFET In-Dash CD Deck.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theFridge
I will try to answer those questions:
I tapped into a black wire that we measured to have 12 volts, so is likely attached to the battery. I also had the grounding wire hooked up. In order for the deck to turn on, the key must be in the ignition but it does not matter whether the ignition was on or off. There was also a mysterious green wire that does not appear to be a speaker wire. I am using a brand new JVC cd player from best buy -- JVC 50W x 4 MOSFET In-Dash CD Deck.
Have you tested the new radio with only the 3 power connections hooked up? Constant, Ign, ground.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Default The fix

I got it to work today with some luck ! I twisted the red and yellow wire together and also hooked up the ground and this did the job. Only issue is that the radio has no power unless the key is inserted and turned at least partially in the ingition. I am sure this has something to do with me twisiting the wires together. I also tested the volts from each of these wires and only the red one read 12volts...the other didn't seem to supply any power with the key in or out.

Ideas? Is there something I am overlooking...

Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Default clock and power door locks stopping running

In addition, the power locks and analog dashboard clock stopped running with the stereo install. Is this related or is it possible I knocked something else loose?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:10 PM

I got it to work today with some luck ! I twisted the red and yellow wire together and also hooked up the ground and this did the job. Only issue is that the radio has no power unless the key is inserted and turned at least partially in the ingition. I am sure this has something to do with me twisiting the wires together. I also tested the volts from each of these wires and only the red one read 12volts...the other didn't seem to supply any power with the key in or out.

Recheck the fuses and not just the radio one. If you find nothing then you could just run a new wire over to the fuse box or connect at the key ignition wires.

In addition, the power locks and analog dashboard clock stopped running with the stereo install. Is this related or is it possible I knocked something else loose?
Sounds fuse related.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Default One problem solved, clarify constant vs. ingnition?

Replacing the fuses was the fix for the second issue! the door locks and clock and dome light now all work. Thanks.

I am a bit confused about solving the radio issues (it does not store presets, the time) since it has no power when the car is turned off. Could you elaborate on what the issue may be since I probably missed something wiring. Should the constant provide power even when the car is off? Thanks.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will be two wires that supply power to the radio. One is to be constant power. This keeps your presets, clock etc running when turned off. The other is typically accessory 12v, this turns on with the key.
I am assuming the two wires you twisted together are both the 12v feed wires (accessory and constant) for the radio. You need to determine which wire is for constant 12v and which one accessories. Your radio SHOULD have come with a wiring diagram.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:07 PM

Replacing the fuses was the fix for the second issue! the door locks and clock and dome light now all work. Thanks.

I am a bit confused about solving the radio issues (it does not store presets, the time) since it has no power when the car is turned off. Could you elaborate on what the issue may be since I probably missed something wiring. Should the constant provide power even when the car is off? Thanks.
The fuse blew for a reason, the wire was shorted out some how. Now that it is working, recheck the stock wires for constant power. Tape up or shrink wrap any wires not used, good luck.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Default Wiring fix

Hi,
Go to the Crutchfield website, look up your CD player, if you cannot find it listed call the 1-800 number and ask for the kit you need for your car.
They will send you mounting brackets, filler plates and most important a plug which will allow you to use the original plug from the old radio.

Couple of years ago my daughter and I put one in her 84 DL and it only took a couple of hours. W also removed all of her seats in order to run wiring back to the read deck for speakers, also for speakers in the doors.

Hope this helped.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:07 AM

Thanks, I also tested the volts from each of these wires and only the red one read 12volts...the other didn't seem to supply any power with the key in or out.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Default Solution!

Replaced the fuses and this gave me a constant 12 volts which I didn't have before. Radio now keeps memory when it is off. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:52 AM

I'm also replacing my '84' 240's radio with a new unit. Do you have a wiring diagram or wiring instructions/text so I can correctly hook-up the new unit wiring to the exisitng wires?

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Thumbs up Wiring a aftermarket radio to a Volvo 240 dash harness

I hope you have not cut the Dash plug for the OEM radio, because there is a plug harness you can use the connect your JVC radio without cutting or splicing the OEM harness. The green wire from the Volvo harness should supply 12 Volts unswitched which should be match the yellow wire (memory) on your JVC harness, please use a tester. The red wire has 12 volts with the switch on (ACC) and the black one, of course is Ground.
So, this is it:
Dash plug JVC harness
Red.........................................Red- 12 V Switched
Green......................................Yellow 12V Memory
Black.......................................Black - Ground

(You can PM me about the plug/harnesses)