Stereo Malfunctioning - 1988 240

Old 01-19-2019, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Malfunctioning - 1988 240

Hi Folks,

I've got a 1988 Volvo 240 wagon with the original tape deck/radio. Today I started the car and noticed the digital screen was not displaying anything and the radio seemed like it was just flipping randomly through the dial. The tape deck still works though! Also none of the buttons on the stereo work at all except the one that flips the tape.

I asked a local shop and they said "it's done." They said I could try and get a used one online and give it a shot but it's hit and miss and he said there's a modern bluetooth enabled radio you can get on amazon for like $80 and do a conversion but you gotta rewire things in the back a bit. I really like the original stereo and have quite a tape collection so I'd like to keep the OG style, but I wanted to know what other folks thought.

Is there a way to repair the current stereo? I doubt it but figured I'd ask.

Do folks recommend trying a used option from ebay?

Has anyone done a conversion and you have any tips?

I'm trying to keep this fix under $100.

Thank you!

Old 01-19-2019, 06:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by akpasta
Hi Folks,

I've got a 1988 Volvo 240 wagon with the original tape deck/radio. Today I started the car and noticed the digital screen was not displaying anything and the radio seemed like it was just flipping randomly through the dial. The tape deck still works though! Also none of the buttons on the stereo work at all except the one that flips the tape.

I asked a local shop and they said "it's done." They said I could try and get a used one online and give it a shot but it's hit and miss and he said there's a modern bluetooth enabled radio you can get on amazon for like $80 and do a conversion but you gotta rewire things in the back a bit. I really like the original stereo and have quite a tape collection so I'd like to keep the OG style, but I wanted to know what other folks thought.

Is there a way to repair the current stereo? I doubt it but figured I'd ask.

Do folks recommend trying a used option from ebay?

Has anyone done a conversion and you have any tips?

I'm trying to keep this fix under $100.

Thank you!
I had my orig. 740 radio go and while looking on the web found a place somewhere in the south. Can't remember the place but they specialized in old Volvo radio's. You ship it to them and they look at it and determine what needs to be fixed. That cost was $150 and if they fix it they would give you and estimate for the costs. I did a web search and found a used on for $150 and bought it. It lasted for 2 years and died. Finally did a conversion to an old Sony that had a cassette and still have it. So I have 2 old dead radio's and 2 good amps down in my basement that some day I'll throw out.