In Tank Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 04:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Tank Fuel Pump

Hi guys

I drive a 1987 240 sedan I recently bought on eBay. It's great driving a brick again.

My problems are a minor ones that just might grow bigger, so I'll see what you blokes think.

Althoughthe car runs very well,when I start from a standing start the engine hesitates slightly. I'm unsure, but I expect it will have something to do with the fuel system. It is fitted with the LH Jetronic 2.4 injection system, and has a new filter and primary pump.

Also the weatheris starting to gethot down here now (nearly 100F), and the primary pump starts to whine when I hit 90kms an hour. I'm darned if I can get the in-tank fuel pump out although I did manage to change the hose. From what I have read, I would guess the in-tank fuel pump is not working. Would you agree with this, and would this be the cause of my first problem?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Regards

Alan

Old 02-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Default RE: In Tank Fuel Pump

Sounds like you are on the right track Alan, probably not enough volume of fuel. Why can't you change the in-tank pump? With a whining primary pump, and yes mine did this too, I found my in-tank pump not working along with a bunch of crud in my tank which was clogging the pick-up line sock filter. All you need to get the in-tank pump out is a long screwdriver and a hammer. You just tap the screwdriver to spin the lockring loose that holds theassembly in the tank.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Default RE: In Tank Fuel Pump

Thanks for the advice, JetTech

I finally managed to get the in-tankfuel pump out. It had me stumped for a while, but there is really nothing to itif you takeyour time. The filter sock was in a bad way as well.

I've replaced the pipe with a genuine one as well. Therubberhose I put on it a couple of weeks ago was still in place, but it had not fixed the problem so there is little doubt the pump was had it.

I had a bit of strife putting the locking ring back into place, but it responded to a bit of persuasion.

I'll take it for a run tomorrow when it gets hot and see if it has fixed the problem. I imagine it has.

Thanks for the advice and the support.

Regards

Alan