Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. I recently replaced the kickback cable on my transmission. I thought it would be a good idea to just grab a cable from a junkyard, but I believe I was badly mistaken. Now the transmission will not up shift until around 5000 rpm. I've tried adjusting the cable, but it makes little difference whether there is slack in the cable or fully tight and all in between. I'm fairly certain the cable is sticking and have obtained a new cable. The question I have is this, I got so frustrated trying to put in the current cable that I started taking out bolts in the internal portion of the tranny, about 6 until I decided that was a bad idea and put them back. Well, I'm fairly certain I got the proper length bolts back where I removed them, but I'm not 100% positive. What I'm wondering is if I got some bolts in the wrong holes, do any of these bolts have any effect on the hydraulic characteristics of the tranny. I'd like to know this prior to opening it up again to put in the new cable. The car has the AW71L tranny and I've attached a pic showing which bolts I removed. Hopeing someone knows as I hope I haven't made a huge mistake out of frustration.
Name:  aw70_witharrows.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  68.7 KB

Old 05-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL! Those bolts can be a pain! All the same thread and 4 or 5 different lengths. As long as you got them all to bottom out you're fine. The top portion with most of the bolts is the valve body. It covers the accumulators which are what really control how hard the transmission shifts. Considering the work involved, it is wise to use a new cable. Still, recheck your source material as the high shift points would seem to indicate the tranny end is not attached properly.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I can now feel confident in re-opening up the tranny pan. Somehow I manage to learn something new every job I do.