TRW Steering rack renovation 940

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRW Steering rack renovation 940

Dear reader,

1. I am on my way to renovate the steering rack nr: TRW 34010443 B, volvo 940 kombi. i have this project laying around for a year. But i have taken out the pinion/bearing/sealrings etc. Now have i forgotten what the order is of the rings on the bar itself of the sealing rings, it starts with the white nylon ring that sticks inside the tube, then the radial seal (does the smaller end of the seal go outward or inward?) then its the blue sealring that lays in the piston recess. After that it seems a radial seal again with the small end outward, then i dont know if it needs a rubber ring again or the white stop with the locking ring.
Someone here done this before? schematic with description somewhere?

So: the order of the rings and the positions of the radial seals

2. in order to get the rings on the pinion i warmed up the rings... hope i get the pinion into the rack again.

Many thanks in advance!

Tomas

Old 05-28-2020, 09:13 AM

Hi Tomas.

I am doing the same thing, so i will leave you some pictures. Any more questions, or if you need more pictures, Just let me know. Hope this will help!

Vegard.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:58 PM

That's very good to see! Mine is still laying on a shelf to assemble for 2 years now i can continue this assemble this contraption once and for all! Many thanks Vegard!
I take a look this weekend and put the rings and seals in the right order. If something comes up, i let you know.
By the way, when installing these seals, do i need to grease them with vaseline? and the thick seal ring with the white ring behind it, does that one need to be pressed well into the pipe's fitting first?
And when i install the whole rack does the pump de-air the steering system by itself?

o/ Thomas

Last edited by volvodicus; 05-28-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:41 PM

Hi.

I am just going to use the same oil for the seals as I am going to use for the power steering system. I am Using ATF DX3.

The white ring would have to be pressed inside the pipe first yes, and then the seal with it, And then the rack.

The power steering system will have to be bleeded for air. It will gradually bleed it self, but I would recommend just doing it. You do that by starting the engine, and Then just turn the Steeringwheel All the way to one side and then to the other side. Do that Aboute 5-6 times.

yes, just let me know if there is anything else😊

btw, I am not an expert or anything, but have some basic knowledge. This is the first time I am taking apart a steering rack, but since I just did it, I thought you might wanted to take a look at the order of seals!

Vegard.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:14 PM

Hello Vegard!

It has been a while, still had no time to look at my steering rack and fix it.
I was wondering about those seals, i thought one fit perfectly in the white plug at the end of the pipe, but that's not the way then.
How you pictured it must be the way it is! obvious!
Did you assemble yours? working ok now?
Does the pinion also go back in in a certain turned/marked way or does that not matter?

Best regards! o/ Thomas