Volvo 245 Dl Wagon Accelration Issue, help me please

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Volvo 245 Dl Wagon Accelration Issue, help me please

have a 1986 245 dl wagon and i been having issue with the acceleration with it over the past 2 weeks. after i been driving for about 5 min if i push the accelerator past about half way down it begins to throttle its self like the butterfly is opening and closing and acceleration of the car dies. if i go wide open on the accelerator it goes ok for a second or two then looses all acceleration and almost dies. ive cleaned the throttle body check my fuel pumps replaced my fuel filter check the belts everything is in working order but i continue to have this problem. i think it might be the Throttle Position Sensor but have no way to tell for shure can any one help me out?

Old 02-10-2013, 04:46 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

there is no throttle position sensor on these, just an idle switch.

my first guess is fuel pressure or flow. how did you check the fuel pumps? the only reliable test is a fuel pressure gauge, and for this you need one with a volvo specific adapter.

the other thing is to check all the vacuum and air plumbing, leaks in vacuum or air tubes can cause things like this to happen, especially the big air tube between the throttle body and the MAF/AMM.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well there is a Throttle Position Sensor on my throddle body and its connected so idk what to think about that. we checked the furl pressure with a gauge and also checked it by disconnecting the main fuel intake line and trying to start the car and it had a steady stream of gas exiting the fuel line i bridged the suel sensor to have the fuel pump go on and it did with no problem ive checked all the fuses changed the distributor cap the rotor and spark plug's to add the wires from the cap to the plugs are fine only 2 years old there are no cracks or holes on the maf/amm so thats air tight for the most part.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:14 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

that 'throttle position sensor' is a switch that is 'on' when the throttle is at idle, and 'off' otherwise. its used to enable the idle air control circuit, and otherwise does nothing.

the LH-II fuel injection uses the MAF to detect how much air is being sucked in, and modulates the fuel injectors accordingly. it uses the oxygen sensor to see how good of a job its doing, and fine tunes the mixture to stay on the lean side so the catalytic converter can work well. it also monitors the engine block temperature, so it can compensate for a cold vs hot engine. it gets the engine RPM from the ignition controller, which in turn gets it from the hall sensor in the distributor.

oh. an 86 B230F has the Chrysler ignition system, which has a vacuum bellow on the ICU mounted on the right fender behind the headlight. check that vacuum line, and all the fittings on it, if its funky, then you might not be getting enough ignition advance at speed, this would certainly cause a loss of power. on our 87, it goes under the front of the engine, and reappears near the throttle body, and has an elbow hooked up to a tube fitting on the top of the throttle body.

be very careful with your wiring harness. 86 was one of the worst years for 'biodegradable wiring', and the ignition wiring is in a particularlly bad blace, it goes from that ICU on the right fender, under the front of the engine, and up to the distributor, coil, etc. oil and such leak onto it and don't help the wiring at all.

the electrical connector into that Chrysler ICU is particularlly funky, if you have to disconnect it (don't unless you really need to), pull it straight out, don't wiggle it, or you'll loosen the sleeves that fit over the pins and they won't make good connections, leading to loss of spark or all sorts of random behavior..