Volvo opportunity

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo opportunity

Hey all,

Still battling with my wagon. Haven't given up yet, but realized that whoever mucked with it before me did some serious backwoods crap that is going to take far too much money to get right. Getting some more insight into this project, I've found that the PO put a Penta distributor in place of the stocker with a Bosch coil, a Carter single barrel carburetor on the stock intake manifold with a fuel pump that flows too much, making it leak and run rich enough to foul out new plugs at the drop of a hat and who knows what else.

But persevere I shall!! I just found a goldmine in my neck of the woods, there's a guy willing to part with 3 240 wagons, an 82, an 85, and an 86. He wants to get rid of the lot for $300!!! All the glass is intact, which I need and that's about all I can tell from the pictures at this point. Once he gets back to me I'm gonna go take a look, but there are some downsides.
None are running. But I figure between the three, I can piece together the ignition and fuel issue I'm having. Secondly, they're rusty. But I'm crossing my fingers at least one of the three will have salvageable floor pans I can use. I've given up on finding wheel wells, I can buy those cheap online anyway. And only one of them have wheels on them... Also... No titles.

So...they're about a half hour away. How do I transport them without dragging them on a flatbed, possibly ruining the underbits? And were I to get them, I say keep what I can, cut up and scrap the rest for my money back? Yeah?

This seems almost too good to be true lol. I need your thoughts guys.
​​​​​

Old 11-07-2017, 06:07 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

What year and model is your car? The glass should fit but some of the engine electrical components may not. If yours is post-89, it may be better to find a similar car as the pre-89 fuel injection systems are different.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:17 AM

83 240 dl

Old 11-08-2017, 06:08 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Not sure the injection parts will fit. I'm pretty unfamiliar with the early '80s models. '82 might be K-Jetronic fuel injection while I suspect your '83 will be early LH 1.0 injection. The '85 and '86 are more likely to be LH 2.0 or 2.2.

If you want to swap out the parts, I would take the entire harness, intake, ignition and ECU from either the '85 or '86 to make it work. Sounds like a large project though. Then there is the issue with '86 being in the biodegradable wiring harness years.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:30 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

82 or 83 to midyear 87 are biodegradable. late 87 seem solid (we never had harness problems with ours, bought new and driven 500,000+ miles til we scrapped it last month).

Old 11-14-2017, 07:02 PM

Harrison, I have an idea for you...

Idea #1: It would help if you had a friend with a big truck with winch but it's not necessary. Get a Uhaul trailer with a ramp that will fit a car, I just did a quick hypothetical search and it's about $60 for the day. Line up the trailer with the first car, then chock(?) the trailer wheels with some rocks or what have you. Then position the truck so the trailer is in between the Volvo and the truck, hook up the winch to the Volvo (in neutral) with the tow cable passing over/through the trailer somehow and just pull the thing up and onto the trailer. If you don't have a truck, whatever car you have will work too as long as you attach the tow strap/cable to something really strong on the car. I.E. not the bumper... It'll take three trips, but you'll get them moved in a day. Don't forget to chock and strap down the Volvos to the trailer once they're on so that they don't roll back off.

Think of it like this...you've got three chances to get it right hahaha.

Idea #2: Get three friends that have AAA Premier memberships (if you don't have one). Each one of you calls AAA or one person calls for all three giving each person's membership numbers and all you say is that you guys were out trying to do Volvo "rallying" or whatever and the cars broke down. A flatbed with a winch will come, load the car and deliver wherever you want them to. Easy as pie.

Let us know what you figure out and how it goes! Don't forget to take pictures or video.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:08 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

arrrgh, you really don't want non-rollers. score some old wheels with crappy tires you can bolt on the chassis, so they can be rolled around, towed, etc. otherwise you need dollies, and car dollies suck! or a *big* forklift that can handle a 3000 lb car.