What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this?

Hello again! My 93 Volvo 940 horn is still giving me problems. Turns out that the horn honks on its own when turning the wheel at a specific degree. So my mechanic took out this part from the steering column and he told me it would be $300 bucks (brand new from a dealer) to replace it! He too laughed as hard as I did. Now I don't want to get ripped off here so what exactly is the name of this part? And will I have a difficult time finding it online?

and should I have to go junkyard diving, what other Volvo's use this exact part?

EDIT: Also in the picture the white connector in the left side looks pretty messed up and appears as if it was glued down to keep it in place. Should it be impossible for me to find the part for this particular model could I butcher off the end and replace it with one from another model? I'd appreciate any help!

Old 01-08-2006, 02:09 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: What is this?

It is called an SRS contact reel. That also controls the drivers air bag.
Only a 240 one will work. If you get one from a junk yard be careful getting it. There is a screw in the steering wheel that will go into the peice to lock it into place. Use it and lock it. If not and it unravels and is not reset properly it will be as good as trash.