what's the difference between K-Jet and

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what's the difference between K-Jet and

I've found out, my franken Volvo, which I love, don't get me wrong seems, and I could be wrong...but I 'think' has a Regina head(see my previous post on finding "nickels" bolted to my head), K jet on a fully otherwise Bosch motor, the head gasket went, and I'm doing what I can to see if any more horses can be added. Given from what I know, it's the fuel rail that manages the fuel intake, and is definitely stock to the BOSCH '94 945 car, does it even matter?

(I had a 20 brain lesion relapse-autoimmune a month ago 3 days out of the hospital...the head blows the gasket, so I'm a bit still foggy PLEASE be patient with me-handicapped life, it's how I roll..((get it?))...)

What's the difference? the injectors are long, yellow, I can post pics. It's a '94 940 but again, it's been worked on, someone put Bar's in it, that's for sure.... just making it run right w/out all the crap in it will probably do it good. I'm sure the Bar's is why the previous owner had to replace the radiator, and coolant hoses.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:54 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

K-Jetronics is CIS, continuous/constant injection. it uses a mechanical 'fuel distributor' to adjust the fuel pressure according to the airflow, and the injectors always spray. Volvo abandoned K-Jet circa 1981 or 82 in favor of LH electronic injection.

your head isn't Regina, its from a 'pulse-air' system which was an air injection system used to improve smog numbers by injecting fresh air into the exhaust under certain conditions..

Your 1994 has LH 2.4 electronic injection. the 4 fuel injectors are electrically controlled, the FI Control Unit ("ECU") tells them when and how much fuel to inject, based on air flow, engine temperature, etc. LH uses a 'hot wire' mass air flow meter known as a MAF or AMM (same thing, two names) to measure how much air is coming into the engine.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:31 PM
no mo volvo

pulsair originally had an arrangement like this...

the hose on the right comes from the intake air, right after the air filter, and before the MAF. the two 'saucer' valves on the downpipes are one way valves, and the vacuum activated valve on top is so the pulsair can only suck in fresh air when the conditions are right (high manifold vacuum).

the beauty of this system was, it didn't need any air pump. it sucks in fresh air into the exhaust ports when the exhaust velocity is high but the manifold vacuum is also high, the suction is via a venturi effect.

the problem is those one way valves eventually foul and leak hot exhaust upwards, which burns out that 'F' shaped hose on top, then its awful, and sprays exhaust out the engine compartment. AND, I believe some of hte key parts are now unobtanium, so even if the car came with pulsair, its safest to do what yours has had done, block the air ports on the exhaust side of the head, and lose all the pulsair plumbing.

Attached Thumbnails what's the difference between K-Jet and-pulsairvalve%5B1%5D.gif  
Old 06-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Pierce. I had was reading something about it fouling, or blowing back but I couldn't make sense about it at all. There was some mention of it blowing dirt into the oil breathing system, but it didn't make sense to me at all.

Those nickels work dang well too!
I guess someone got an older head, because they blew up the one it came with...

Old 06-11-2017, 05:58 PM
no mo volvo

severe overheating, like driving with a blown head gasket, will crack the head near the valve seats, rendering it unrepairable.

puls-air was actually a fairly late model thing, used on some non-turbs in the mid 90s. I believe the pulsair engines were tagged B230FD