1993 240 wagon Front Brakes - Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1993 240 wagon Front Brakes - Questions!

Happy New Year to fellow Brick lovers! Re: 1993 240 SW, about 225K miles.
Chain shop recommends work on Front and rear brakes and front suspension. THIS thread will be confined, for most part, to front brakes.
Front brake parts on their way to me: Brembro vented rotors; rotor guide pin x2; Volvo brake pads (for Girling calipers) WITH Shims. Also - brake booster check valve, brake booster check valve hose.
I did NOT order (yet!) brake light switch, brake hoses (x2), bleeder cap, brake lube or brake cleaner. Obviously I will get lube and cleaner. Should I order switch and hoses now?
Neighbor will 'do' front brakes for me, but his experience is primarily domestic vehicles - and he's never done Volvo brakes. Given that only front brakes are being done now (with rear brakes and suspension work to follow) - can front pads and rotors be replaced without bleeding brakes? (Or 'flushing'?)
Can rotors and pads be replaced without 'disturbing' the calipers???
We no longer have brick and mortar import parts retailer so I make every effort to have parts on hand before starting any R/M.
Should front hoses be replaced as well as rotors and pads? [Replacing hoses would require bleeding?]
I saw MOTIVE bleeder on IPD (with both good and bad reviews) - is it worth the investment? [Just came across 'Black label' MOTIVE bleeder - has more positive feedback than basic 'red' bleeder.]
How much FLUID should I have on hand (if brakes aren't bled, versus if they ARE bled??)
Check valve and hose - should I replace now as prevention?
Are there any tools that are needed - or that would just make the job easier? I don't want to risk 'contaminating' system, get air in lines, or end up with damage because proper tools aren't available to do the job. [And, since rear brakes aren't being done at same time, don't want to bleed system now, then have to bleed again say, next month!]
Looking forward to, and very much appreciate, any help! Probably best thing I did after buying Volvo was register for forum.