1994 Volvo 960 - Is it the wrong car for us?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Volvo 960 - Is it the wrong car for us?

Hello,

We bought a very clean 1994 Volvo 960 with about 100K miles but it appears to be needing a lot of work which can be expensive.

Because the seller kept no maintenance records, we had to replace the timing belt and water pump. The breaks were very bad so we changed the frong brake pads and rotors also replaced engine oil and filter and serviced the transmission. However, it appears that there is a long list of repairs still need to be done. We were told the steering rack and pinion needs to be replaced, it's leaking and making noise when the wheels are turned.

Also, it needs shocks and we noticed a small oil leak on the garage floor. Even the windshiled washer container appears to be missing the bottom plug as it leaks when we filled it up with fluid.

The only good think about the car is that it is very clean, really clean from the inside out and looks great and drive like a dream.

Did we buy the wrong car for us or is this how things are when one buys a used Volvo? Please advise.

Thanks, Lisa.

Last edited by volvoofsocal; 08-02-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good 960 with 100k on it is barely broken in. Mine has been extremely reliable with regular maintenace for 14 years and over 275k miles. I am expecting to get at least another 200k out of it. If yours has been maintained at some level and not wrecked at some point it should be pretty good too.

That being said, you need to keep up with the maintenance. Oil and fluid changes, brakes, shocks/struts, timing belts, water pumps, etc need to be done per the maintenance schedule.

Oil on the garage floor could be drips from the oil change or a leaking rear main seal. Or something else. Unless it's a huge spot I would just monitor it and not get it fixed right now. The steering rack may or may not be bad. If it is, you should be able to find a used one for a realistic price. Kind of wondering, however, as you say the car drives like a dream.

The 960 is close to being bulletproof from a mechanical standpoint. I would get these minor items fixed and then enjoy what should be an inexpensive, long lasting car.

Last edited by stonepa; 08-02-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your 960. Sounds like mostly normal maintenance for a car that is 100k, though.

My '93 960 was garaged kept and in great condition with 86k miles. I picked it up for a deal and been driving it since Nov. with the only thing being done is 2 oil changes. Learn to do the oil changes yourself and it will save you some money.

92-94 960's you defiantly have to pay attention to the timing belt and change them on schedule. You can find the timing belt kits on Ebay for under $200 that come with the belt, water pump, tensioner, pulley and all gaskets.

The rack n pinion I wouldn't worry too much about it right now, unless it is very hard to turn the vehicle. Mine makes a little noise when I turn it, but it hasn't bothered the driveability of the car. If you are worried then look on ebay or hit up the Volvo salvage yards to pick one up.

Shocks can get tricky if you have the Nivomats on the back(self adjusting air shock) like I have on my '93. Otherwise regular shocks won't be that expensive.

Since the original owner didn't keep good records, this might be a good time for you to start keeping records on the car. The 960's are a great car, but they do require normal maintenance especially with the higher mileage.
Drive the car, save up for the parts and replace when you get them.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 960 (V90) had also steering issues. I found the leak at one of the hoses. Tightened the clamp and no more oil leaks or noises.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:21 PM

Thank you all very much.
We have already replaced the timing belt and water pump and break pads and rotors at a reputable mechanic now to save a bit on the repair, a neighbour suggested a home mobil mechanic that can work on our Volvo in our garage. I was wondering if this would be a good idea to use him to replace the steering rack and pinion or is this a critical job that we need to take our Volvo to a certified shop to do it? Your thoughts please.
Thanks again, Lisa.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of that kind of service. I would find a good Volvo independent in your area. There has to be a good one in Southern CA (as assumed by your user name). How about Independent Volvo in Pasadena as an example? I'm not much for shade tree mechanics unless they have experience with your exact car. They tend to break more than they fix.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 PM

You have a point, unless they have experience with the exact car they may do more harm. Thank you, Lisa.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:56 AM
Default 1994 Volvo 960 dragging noise

Hello,
We just bought our 1994 Volvo 960 couple of weeks ago. The car is very clean inside out with only 102K miles. Unfortunately, the previous owner neglected maintenance so we replaced the timing belt, tensioners, idle pulley and water pump, front brake pads and rotor and changed engine oil and transmission fluid. We decided to postpone shocks and steering rack and pinion for now.

While driving it, I noticed a dragging like noise when I accelerate. The noise is not very loud, more prominent when the engine is cold. Almost sounds like grinding or dragging metal, yet again not very loud and only noticeable when I start to accelerate at low speed or tap the gas pedal, then it is not noticeable at cruising speed. I also put it in neutral and pressed the gas pedal but didn't hear the noise. Only heard it when I put it in drive and started to accelerate. I'm concerned mainly about the timing belt for fear that it was not put on properly. My mechanic seems knowledgeable but he can't figure it out yet and this is the first time we use him.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thank you. Lisa.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:12 AM
Default 1994 Volvo 960

Hello,

I'm looking for an easy to understand repair/service manual for our 1994 Volvo 960. Apparenlty, there is no Haynes manual for this car only Chilton, and the green book from Volvo is hard to find.

For a beginner like me, should I try the Chilton's manual or keep looking for the Volvo green book manual or is there another manual out there that may help me out? Your thoughts please.
Thanks. Lisa.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:01 AM

That does not sound like the timing belt. How are the rear brake rotors and pads? That sound may also come from a stuck caliper.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:07 AM

You can use these:

1- Download documentation from k-jet.org
2- Dowload more from my Google Documents https://docs.google.com/?tab=mo&auth...k&visibility=0
3- Visit Brickboard for every issue Volvo Maintenance Hints for 7xx/9xx/90

Old 08-06-2011, 09:12 AM

These are great cars, but will get expensive fast to maintain, especially if neglected. If you can DIY, then they're a great value car.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:18 PM

The rear brakes were checked and they are fine. I forgot to mention that this sound is detected more from the passenger side of the engine. My neighbor heard it last night and he thinks it's the valves which may need adjustment, however, he is not a Volvo guy, so he's not sure.
Thank you. Lisa.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:28 PM

Since the noise is speed-related, not rpm-related, i.e. noise comes and goes as car moves, this has to do with the wheels. Valves/lifters are self-adjusting.

When you did the brakes, did you check and service the calipers / bolts / boots?

Old 08-07-2011, 12:11 AM

Thank you.
I'm not sure about the calipers, bolts and boots. I know they replaced the front pads and rotors and was told that the rear pads and rotors are fine. However, I was also told that the steering rack and pinion needs to be done or replaced and there is a slow leak there. My mechanic said that the whole steering rack including tie rods, boots and all the steering components needs to be replaced for about $1,300. I've decided to wait on this job a bit for cash flow and I don't see a leak in the garage so I assumed that the steering is not that urgent for now. Your thoughts please.

Last edited by volvoofsocal; 08-07-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:26 AM

That makes a lot of sense. I'm hoping to take care of major jobs through my mechanic then small jobs, like oil change and coolant change etc..., I can do it myself with my son's help otherwise, I may sadly have to sell it. It's really a very nice car. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Default 1994 Volvo 960 exhaust leak/fumes smell

Hello,
We just bought our Volvo couple of weeks ago and I've noticed exhaust smell while driving it. At first I thought I may be just tired, but I drove it most of the last week through this morning and I can definitely smell/breath exhaust fumes especially when the windows are down.

Please let me know how I can find the source of the leak and whether this is an easy fix that I can take care of or do I need to take it to my mechanic.
I appreciate your help.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 PM

Does the exhaust sound like it's blowing at all?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 AM

If you are referring to noise from the tail pipe, then no, there is no blowing noise from the tail pipe. In fact the engine is very smooth and quite and there is no black smoke from the tail pipe.
The only thing unsusual that I noticed is that almost all cars that I had, when I start it cold, the rpm is about 1100 then it settles down when the engine is warmed up to about 900 rpm. This Volvo, it starts cold at 900 rpm and it stays that way.
Could that be a reason for the exhaust smell?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Thank you very much.

Quick Reply: 1994 Volvo 960 - Is it the wrong car for us?