1995 960 Temp gauge question - looking for some help....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 960 Temp gauge question - looking for some help....

hello all - new to the forum, but have lurked for maintenance tips, etc. I have a 1995 960, that after quite a while of tracking down a non-working speedometer, it got to the point where I was left with replacing the cluster, which I did, and the speedo worked. However, now I have a non-functioning temp gauge. When I start the car, the needle goes to the middle, then sweeps all the way to the right, then drops down all the way to the left, where it never moves again. I believe I read that the sweep on start-up indicates that the gauge itself is good. My previous cluster was registering temp, so I even took apart the new cluster again, just to prove to myself that I had hooked everything up properly, and found I had. So, my next step was to replace the ECT sensor, which I did today, and still it does not register temperature. The gauge still does the sweep at startup, but never registers temp. Does anyone have any other ideas ? I saved the old cluster, and I suppose I can swap the individual temp gauge out, but the thought of taking the dash apart and removing the cluster for a third time is not something I am looking forward to. I'm hoping someone here has another idea for me to try/look at....
thanks in advance. seu318

Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Not a clue. Where did you get the new cluster? Was the temp gauge working on it before?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:09 AM

it was an ebay purchase, a used cluster from a 97 960, so - while stated it was in working condition, i don't have any way to dispute it. I do have to temper my frustration though, since my intent as to get a working speedometer. I was just hoping there was something else I might have missed - but - with the "new" plug in cluster with a seemingly working gauge, and a new ECT ... i'm perplexed as to what the cause of this issue could be.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:44 AM

I think you might have some conflict with the sending unit for a '95 and gauge for a '97.

You might try finding out if the sending unit part numbers are the same for both years, I doubt that they are. If they are not, then get the '97 sending unit. I do not think you can swap out the gauges easily, as there is a electronic buffer built into the dash printed circuit to keep that temp needle centered while running in traffic, other wise that needle would fluctuate constantly while driving normally.

DanR '94 964 355,000 miles (121,000 on the new engine)

Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 AM

* I know they are not the same units, just realized, in '96 Volvo went to OBDii diagnostics, they then made the sending unit for the gauge and temp to the computer as one sending unit. You might have a problem with that purchase not being for the correct year car you have.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:31 PM

hmmm..... that is a good thought. I assumed it would not be a problem because the ECT that I purchased from FCP Groton is listed as being good for 1992-1997 960's.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, my '95 960 had OBD-II. I would try to get the guage out of the other cluster and try that. That's the thing about working on these cars yourself and saving hundreds of dollars. You get to fix what you fixed. Not that mechanics at the stealer doesn't have to do the same thing.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:58 PM

well, rspi, I took your advice and went ahead and swapped the known working temp gauge with the unknown working gauge. It didn't work - but I'm not surprised, the gauges were very dissimilar. The only commonality was the gauge face itself. The 97 had a LOT of little resisters set in the board, and the 95 did not, which made me think the gauge would not work, as the printed circuit board on the 97 cluster, I assume, was looking to work with the 97 gauge with all the resisters and wiring. Oh well. Thanks anyway for the recommendation. I had to do it or I'd always wonder if it would've worked. On the upside - I was able to get the cluster out, swap the gauge, and get it all back together and tested in well under an hour, which I was impressed with. I guess I may look into one of those Longacre brand water temp warning lights and mount that somewhere on the dash. It triggers a light if the temp hits 230 degrees, which is better I guess than not knowing anything about the coolant temp. It has a 3/8 NPT, so I'm assuming it would fit right in place of the stock ECT. So.... I'll likely be listing a nice, new, hardly used 1992-1997 960 ECT sensor for sale, since I'll no longer need it. It is fun working on these cars, especially since it does not need to serve as my primary transportation, and runs like a top even with north of 269K miles on it. Thanks all to those who responded.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:06 AM

You might try going to the dealer and get a temp sensor for your new gauge, and see if that does it, or call FCP and have them check their stock numbers, you car has two sensors one at the tstat and the other at the rear of the head, the tstat one controls the gauge, the rear the computer system.

I you swap the tstat to the newer version it may work just the gauge, just a stab in the dark though, the ecm will still be getting it's info from the rear sensor.

Might be worth a try, or find a instrument cluster that is from a '95.

DanR