211k, and my first major issue...maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 211k, and my first major issue...maybe?

Hi everyone, so on my drive into work on friday my 1996 volvo 960 wagon with 211k on her decided to switch into "limp" home mode at 70mph, downshifted into 3rd and rpms rev'ed high till i got off to the shoulder (Engine light and transmission arrow flashing, and transmission selections W_S_E flashing too). Put the car in neutral. shut it off rocked the gear selector back and fourth through all the gears, restarted with no issue.....got back on and a few miles later happened again. Got off a near by exit and then wouldnt go into gear. no mater how much gas given (i wont redline her) she would barely do a crawl. Engine code = P0500. i am thinking it is the used PNS switch i put in last year.....any input? i am thinking of putting in a new PNS, dont think its my speed sensor cause my speedo was still working and no ABS light.....

thinking of doing a transmission flush and filter change while i wait for the part to come in.....any advice is well appreciated!

PS...Also noticed i can start the car in any gear selected now (PRND3L) doesnt mater.....

Old 02-26-2016, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there, jands.

So, how's it coming along?

Sure you've already checked this long time past, but what you described reminded me of what I bumbled into with our sedan: IIRC, popping the harness connector off the transmission control module did similar things in the '95...

Maybe something that simple?

Flushwise, I used Transmax Import with excellent results. It's spec'd to include Volvo; and easy enough to get hold of cheaply at AutoZone.

Didn't bother dropping the pan and cleaning the wire screen; as flow was OK (no large matter blockages). Installed an inline remote perch with a real 20 micron lube filter up near the radiator to do the actual dirtywork, and to facilitate the flush. Again, good results after a modest fuss.

Odd doings with our car's tranny module(?) as well now; with queer illumination patterns showing up on the gear selector track as the shifter is moved up and down through the gears.

True to form, I'll surely be looking at this soon enough

Old 02-26-2016, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

there's some good write ups on adjusting the PNP switch (on Matthews and other forum posts) which may give you some ideas. Not sure if that will throw the P0500 code vs a more general P0700. You may also want to research symptoms for problems with the ABS module to see anyone has had similar (ie no ABS/tracs lights ). Just to be sure, you can test the ABS sensors at the wheels with a VOM - they should measure 900-1380 ohms. Also inspect the CV joints - if you tore a boot, its possible grease found its way onto the tone ring for the axle which will mess with the sensors (again, likely to light the ABS light as well but should be easy enough to test)

Last edited by mt6127; 02-26-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:04 PM

It's ok I took this chance to pull the engine and tranny out and do an overhaul on gaskets and fluids. Slowly putting her back together now. Just a few more hoses and a few test drives. New pns from Volvo solved my issues with transmission codes and arrows etc. no more cheap parts from advance auto.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:21 PM

Well, now THAT'S what I call maintenance! You, sir, have entirely too much energy/time on your hands: Better find a ladyfriend or higher taxes to curb those tendencies but quick (you're making the rest of us look bad )!

I personally am dwaddling over what might be a small exhaust manifold leak; and even VDonkey is begging off getting under his boat these days for a look at a derelict parking brake cable...

So shame on you!

Anyhoo, cheers and all the best in your renewed beastie --

Old 03-01-2016, 04:45 PM

i think its working second shift, i have the entire morning while my partner is at work to do this stuff....as for a higher tax bracket i live in RI, they already kill me.....i thought about a second new car but then id be making an extra car payment to the state every month to just keep up with the ridiculous yearly taxes . thank god gaskets and fluids are cheap

i prob should put a new parking cable on my list mine is at full adjustment now (old and stretched lol )

Old 03-01-2016, 05:05 PM

i also found a really nice set of xc70 tan seats today at the local pnp.....thinking of getting them stealing the skin and foam and fitting them into my worn out 960 frams with modifications.....should prob get another hobby. lol

Old 03-02-2016, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by jands
i also found a really nice set of xc70 tan seats today at the local pnp.....thinking of getting them stealing the skin and foam and fitting them into my worn out 960 frams with modifications.....should prob get another hobby. lol
Will the seat controls translate?

Old 03-02-2016, 04:48 PM

i dont think they will, its why i am going to remove then foam and skins from the xc and fir them to my 960 frames, motors, etc..... prob going to be a project but my seats have had it

Old 03-03-2016, 08:24 AM

i dont think they will, its why i am going to remove then foam and skins from the xc and fir them to my 960 frames, motors, etc..... prob going to be a project but my seats have had it
Maybe they are plug and play.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:13 AM

If they are I'll definitely let everyone know! Won't hurt to try that first

Old 03-04-2016, 09:13 AM

Went to pnp today and the front seats were gone :,( gonna have to keep an eye out and grab them when I see them next time

Old 03-05-2016, 08:33 AM

Went to pnp today and the front seats were gone :,( gonna have to keep an eye out and grab them when I see them next time
How much were they?

Old 03-05-2016, 01:11 PM

Seats for front pair and back bench are 140

Old 03-07-2016, 05:10 PM

Does anyone know where i can get a full engine vacuum diagram? I am very interested to see where all the hoses are suppose to go.....i am having issues with the vacuum hub on my intake manifold....i have a hose (the larger diameter of them all) finding its home.....Help would be appreciated!!!!

Old 03-09-2016, 07:26 PM

shes all back together....gonna just drive her around town for next few days to make sure all is good....then back and forth to work again! damn sensors lol

Old 03-12-2016, 06:18 AM

Seats for front pair and back bench are 140
If you EVER see two sets or a set after you install yours, I have been looking foir months now with no luck.

How closely do the XC70 seat covers fit?

Old 03-13-2016, 08:11 AM

Will do. I'll prob be going back soon to look again

Old 03-17-2016, 07:49 PM

just a heads up, she is running like a new car! might need to clean a few things still but man she has some power again! almost 1k on everything since back on the road.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:33 AM

Will do. I'll prob be going back soon to look again
If you go back to the PNP would you be a great guy and pull a 95 960 wagon windshield wiper switch? I will make it worth your while.

Quick Reply: 211k, and my first major issue...maybe?