960 A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 960 A/C

I have a 1997 Volvo 960 that needs A/c servicing-took it to several mechs.( no local Volvo dealer) The mechs I took it to didn't know how because they couldn't find the high side schreader valve -could any of you help me out as to how to service this auto

Old 07-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Default RE: 960 A/C

From memory the refill valve is on one of the pipes coming out of the accumulator, which may be undera black plastic cover which simply pulls off.In a lot of cases the cover hasbeen lostso the accumulator is very easy to see.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:51 PM

Bill: We found the "filler" on the accumulater/evaporator pipe but only that one. The A/C on my Morgan never fails if it's hot out, just go a little faster. Thanks for your in put Paul

Old 07-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 960 does not have the high side port. only the low side. when you recharge the system make sure that you do not exceed 45 psi (AC should be running on high while you recharge).

The following users liked this post:
Melsmobile (06-05-2020)
Old 07-09-2007, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info, it's a great help Paul

Old 07-15-2007, 02:05 PM

I was going to ask the same thing.

How are you supposed to know how its operating with out the high side?

My a/c works, but is just barly cold. So I turned it to full blast when it was parked at about 80' F outside.

After a about 5 minutes the compressor stayed on and stopped cycling. Then I got a solid reading of about 20 psi on the low side (only side I could find).

I put about 8-10 oz of r-134a into it while it was running I could get it up to 30 psi, but I must have had the can sitting there for almost ten minutes, the can was cold to the touch and had lots of condensation, so I know it was going into the a/c (I had the real high/low gauges, not the DIY wallmart can with a guage) . I stopped about midway through the can, knowing the car onlt hold about 1.5 lbs of coolent. Is that correct? Does it always take this long to get that much freon into it?

The idea of refilling it with out seeing the high side made me nervous, especially since it took so long to put in only a few ounces. I know the whole a/c was replaced a few years back and this was a florida car, so I know that the a/c had to have been used.

Any tips not to blow up the a/c? Should I keep filling it untill I hit 35 or 40 psi? I dont like the idea that there is possibly hundreds of psi in front of my face and not able to monitor it.

Also how long should it take to put a can a freon into the a/c? Does it really take 15- 20 minutes?.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pos960

I was going to ask the same thing.

How are you supposed to know how its operating with out the high side?

My a/c works, but is just barly cold. So I turned it to full blast when it was parked at about 80' F outside.

After a about 5 minutes the compressor stayed on and stopped cycling. Then I got a solid reading of about 20 psi on the low side (only side I could find).

I put about 8-10 oz of r-134a into it while it was running I could get it up to 30 psi, but I must have had the can sitting there for almost ten minutes, the can was cold to the touch and had lots of condensation, so I know it was going into the a/c (I had the real high/low gauges, not the DIY wallmart can with a guage) . I stopped about midway through the can, knowing the car onlt hold about 1.5 lbs of coolent. Is that correct? Does it always take this long to get that much freon into it?

The idea of refilling it with out seeing the high side made me nervous, especially since it took so long to put in only a few ounces. I know the whole a/c was replaced a few years back and this was a florida car, so I know that the a/c had to have been used.

Any tips not to blow up the a/c? Should I keep filling it untill I hit 35 or 40 psi? I dont like the idea that there is possibly hundreds of psi in front of my face and not able to monitor it.

Also how long should it take to put a can a freon into the a/c? Does it really take 15- 20 minutes?.
Hmm, my 960 took one can of R-134a in under 2 minutes while A/C was running at high @ 95 deg outside temp. I used R-134a for high milage cars containing oil. Were your gauges fully opened? Are they clogged up? Was the port clean? Did you get good seal between low pressure port and connector? Also, was the compressor runing steady? Sometimes my compressor kicks on/off to maintain the desired temp? If your comp was not running, that might explain why it took you soo long.
P.S. I so love my A/C now... @ 94 deg outside my A/C blows 40 deg cold air in city driving! and it's running at 42 psi.

The following users liked this post:
Melsmobile (06-05-2020)