97 960 Orange Arrow on dash + stuck in 3rd/4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 960 Orange Arrow on dash + stuck in 3rd/4th gear

Hi all, I recently purchased a 1997 Volvo 960. When I first started driving it it had no transmission problems except some difficulty going into reverse. I left my town for a week for winter break, and left my car in my friend's driveway. Once I came back, my car was stuck in 4th gear, an orange arrow was flashing on the dash, and the Winter and Standard lights are flashing. This has came and went in the three days since I came back.

I've done some research and all points to a PNP issue, but brickboard had a posting stating that if I can put my key into the "II" position and shift out of park, my PNP is working. I am able to shift out of park, so what other diagnostics can I do to pinpoint the problem? I'd also like to note that temperatures got below freezing during the time I was gone. I'm also not certain if the transmission fluid has ever been flushed. The levels were low when I got the car, so my father added some fluid to it without flushing. Thanks for any help.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:15 PM

It could be overdrive relay.

in 960, it should be behind the ashtray. The relay is behind the fuse box.. Once you take out the tray, there is a pattern of where the overdrive relay is plugged. You can go to the junkyard and buy few used one or go to the store and buy a new one. Then you plug it in. start the car and drive and see if it works, then put the tray back on.

It happened to my 940 before.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by drgonzophd
Hi all, I recently purchased a 1997 Volvo 960. When I first started driving it it had no transmission problems except some difficulty going into reverse. I left my town for a week for winter break, and left my car in my friend's driveway. Once I came back, my car was stuck in 4th gear, an orange arrow was flashing on the dash, and the Winter and Standard lights are flashing. This has came and went in the three days since I came back.

I've done some research and all points to a PNP issue, but brickboard had a posting stating that if I can put my key into the "II" position and shift out of park, my PNP is working. I am able to shift out of park, so what other diagnostics can I do to pinpoint the problem? I'd also like to note that temperatures got below freezing during the time I was gone. I'm also not certain if the transmission fluid has ever been flushed. The levels were low when I got the car, so my father added some fluid to it without flushing. Thanks for any help.

That part above regarding the key in the ignition is not totally true, it could be a symptom, but it may sense the park position and allow for gear shift movement, but a faulty switch may not sense any other gears selected which cause driveability problems like you are having. Which will lead to a no start condition once it fails to sense the park position.

The winter weather brings out bad PNP switches in droves. The cold just make a marginal switch fail.

DanR '94 964 356,000 miles (122,000 on the new engine)

Old 12-30-2010, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I just had the codes checked and I got a "TCC Failure" code. The guy at the garage also told me my shifter is unusually loose and that I might need to change the bushings. Would this lead to the same problems, or am I basically looking at trying to replace the PNP switch?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:58 AM

I have to agree with Dan, because I am going through the same thing right now. My PnP is definitely bad, but I can start it in both park and neutral, as well as shift out of park with the key in. But...it will randomly not start in park (usually when it is cold) and I have noticed that even when it seems to be working, the car doesn't shift as well as it used to. I know my PnP is bad because I am getting the P0705 code as well as the flashing arrow. So driveability issues seem to also be part of the deal. Also makes sense if you've ever opened up the switch to see how it works. The same problem that causes it not to know when it's in park or N could also potentially cause it not to know what gear it's in.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:26 AM
RCR

It's in the limp home mode for what ever reason. Try this first as the problem surfaced after the car had been sitting. Try pulling the batter lead let it sit for a couple minuets and then reconnect. That will reset the TCM but be sure you know your radio code handy before you do that though.
Try that before doing anything else and see if that clears the coded and the reset solves the issue. You didn't have a dead battery and have to jump it by chance did you?
And do change the filter and flush the fluid!!

Last edited by RCR; 01-06-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 AM

Sounds like your PNP switchTthe winter adds to the problems as there is corrosion on the contacts .It is possible to remove it and clean up the contacts but it abit of a job so best to buy a new one .I have just changed mine and used an after market Scan Tech one and works perfectly .I remove the switch without removing the exhaust or emptying the trans but it is abit fiddly . Getting the switch off the shaft was hardest and i neede to lubricate it .Setting it afterwards i used the put it in reverse with ignition on and rotate the switch until reverse lights come on method.Then had to do some fine tuning to make sure it started in park and neutral then tightened switch making sure to lock it in by bending up the 4 lock tabs on the 22mm bolt The switch is on the RH side of trans behind exhaust and wiring plug on left hand side .I pulled plug out first on LH side then removed switch There is a bracket that holds the wiring on top of the Trans and make sure you free that up for wiring loom to come out . Pulled switch apart and feel i have repaired it for next time .The 4 brass contact on the little springs can be cleaned up but there is a guy on ebay who sells replacement contacts and this may be a cheap way to fix the switch. good luck My switch cost 50 pounds 75 AUD from Braydon Garage in london was on ebay.Also temporary fix if you have the ignition on and move slowly through all the gears you can reset the contacts and will work for a while ,did this a few times until doing it annoyed me . Good luck