Bought a 92 960, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a 92 960, few questions

Hey guys, I just bought a 92 960 for $800 Body is rock solid and engine and tranny seem to be really good. Just a few problems that need to be fixed.

First off the odometer doesn't work, I'm assuming the gears are toast. Does anyone know where I can get some new gears at? I have replaced them on 80's bmw's in the past, but not volvo.

Second, theres an issue with the lights. When you turn the headlights on, the dash lights (radio etc) will turn off. If the headlights are off, the dash lights will work. Could this be just a fuse or something? Also, is the gear selector lights supposed to light up? P R N D etc?

Aside from some bulbs out, I think the only other problem is the brake pedal. Its really low to the floor before it works. If I pump it, it works normal. I'm assuming the MC is out, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't some goofy volvo problem before I order a new one.

Thanks!

Edit:

Oh it starts pretty damn hard too. You have to give it gas to fire up, but once its going it will run just fine. The PO told me the FPR is out, which I would assume to be correct. Again, just wanted to make sure before I order up a new one.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Is only the odometer inop?
The gears usually do not break in those.

Maybe dimmer switch? Does the dimmer switch work with the headlights off?
Yes the shift indicator should light up.

Try bleeding the system first for the brakes.

Maybe the FPR is bad but also make sure the fuel rail isn't leaking.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:50 PM

everything in the cluster works except the odometer and trip meter.

I will check the dimmer switch, I started to think it might be a switch problem, didn't think of the dimmer though. When the dimmer is all the way down, does it completely shut the lights off in the car? I know some cars do, some just make it very dim but still on.

I will try bleeding the brakes, but I know it did just have brake work done. If I pump it up the pedal will work fine, which makes me doubt that its air in the lines or a leak.

I don't see any leaks on the fuel rail anywhere. I scoured the engine all over looking for any leaks at all, and didn't see a single one.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have had 2 960's and my dimmer turns my dash lights off when all the way down.

Also, I would guess that switch is bad, the one that turns your lights on.

If you need a source of aftermarket parts let me know, we have a VOLVO grave yard near me. I have had them ship things to me in the past.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
I have had 2 960's and my dimmer turns my dash lights off when all the way down.

Also, I would guess that switch is bad, the one that turns your lights on.

If you need a source of aftermarket parts let me know, we have a VOLVO grave yard near me. I have had them ship things to me in the past.
Yeah I will have to test that, I think I have time to play with it tomorrow.

I think the only thing I can't find is either a new speedo or cluster. I don't know what the going rate is, but the $150 I saw on ebay seems pretty steep. Can you get your hands on one? Its a 92, and just looking on ebay I see the 92's are always by themselves, the others are always listed as like 93-95 or something like that. Do I have to get a 92 speedo/cluster? Or will other years work.

Also might need a headlight/dimmer switch if its bad. Volvos are like the one thing all my yards I go to are lacking

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-01-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by equate975
Also might need a headlight/dimmer switch if its bad. Volvos are like the one thing all my yards I go to are lacking

Thanks for the help!
There are two 960's sitting at U-pull north. They have been there a while though. Post on eurowerks to find someone already going out there and have them check for you.