My 1st & possibly last Volvo Sedan...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1st & possibly last Volvo Sedan...

High guys, new member that needs some pointers. I bought my 1st Volvo, a 1992 960 with 84,000 miles out of an insurance pool in Dallas, Tx. last month. The car was a light hit in the D.S. front, but otherwise looked immaculate. When I got it home, it pretty much was immaculate & apparently well cared for by it's previous owner. No owners manual and after much rooting no evidence of who the previous owner was in order to get some repair history. I immediately started to work on the body damage & by days end had it back in driving shape with only a slight wrinkle in the fender & a missing D.S. turn signal. The engine sounded pretty good, with a little lifter noise & slight gas odor. Other than that the car ran excellent & shifted fine.

I started driving the car to work and after about 500 miles, no oil use, and around 20 mpg, I was starting to think I found myself a bargain work car. But then the infamous flashing up arrow & W-E-S lights symptoms started. Not having a manual I wasn't sure what was going on, so when she wouldn't downshift at the corner, jumped out & back into gear, I retreated her back to the yard & took my reliable Lincoln... After some research over my lunch hour at work and reading that sometimes just moving the shifter back & forth & then driving them can correct the problem, I decided to try again this morning. I tried the shifter trick, but the lights stayed on, but decided to go for it since work is a 25 mile mostly all highway drive. Things started to get even weirder the farther I went. After a couple of mile the speedometer quit working, & then the ABS light came on. At the 1st corner she wanted to take off in 3rd, so manually shifted her to 1st & then up through the gears. Seemed like the torque lock wasn't working as the rpms were around 2,500 at about 65 mph. Every once & awhile the transmission would seem to drop out of gear & the motor would start to rev. If I let off it would drop back in. The lights never stopped blinking & no self correcting by the time I got to work, but the ABS light went out about. The trip home was about the same with a lot more transmission slip outs and when I let off the accelerator drop back in. About half way home the speedometer started to jump & at 1st wasn't reading right. By the time I got home it was reading correctly again, but still the christmas light show & screwy transmission functions.

Ok so what's your guys opinion? From what I have read it sounds like the PNP switch? But the speedometer & ABS light would make me wonder if it wasn't a bad connection or ground somewhere? When the speedometer quit, so did the odometer making me wonder how long this has been going on for it's prior owner & what the real mileage might be?.... I read about trouble shooting these early 960 AW-30-40 series transmission through the DLC. Not clear on how that works, & what exactly is a test lead, something I can make myself? Right now I have about $1,500 in the car & am not sure it worth spending much more money & effort to repair.

Could use some of your guys "Volvo"ly advice...

Thanks
Myze

Old 03-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Not really sure. I had the problem once in my 850 and I got it home, cleared the code and never seen the problem again.

It is about normal for the rpms to be about 2,500 rpms at 65 mph. Someone will likely be on tomorrow to help you out a little. I guess you tried to change the buttons to S or E? I usually drive in S.

If the transmission was slipping, did you check the fluid level?

Last edited by rspi; 03-14-2010 at 05:21 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Administrator
Old 03-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the world of secondary collision damage, no one ever tells you about it.
Even an average size hit can case wiring, sensors etc to be put out, and front end hits can cause trans cooler lines etc to get bent. kinked etc. I've even seen engines pushed back on mounts and not fixed.
I think you have a pretty basic, fundamental problem, I'd look at the trans cooler lines, shifter linkages and do a proper trans flush (please no power flush) and trans filter replacement first.
Personally, if the car is really nice otherwise, used transmissions are cheap and even rebuilt transmissions aren't that bad, the Volvo uses a very common Aisin Warner box, if it comes to the worst.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 PM

I'd have to agree with this, there is more than likely another issue that wasn't addressed with the first round of accident repairs.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:23 PM

Typhoon;

Not buying what your selling... I've been repairing American & Japanese built cars for the last 20 years that were hit hard enough to bend frames & blow both sets of airbags. I like to take what the Insurance Companies label as scrap & bring them back from the grave. Some people believe the hype about salvage vehicles being unsafe or having future unseen damage like your promoting. Besides the majority of salvage cars are only there because it saved the Insurance Company money to pay off the owner at low retail than it would have cost to repair it. If the car was a couple of years newer it would fixed & running down the road without a scar on the title. I have never had any mechanical or electrical issues with any of these vehicles due to impact!

So if a Volvo can't take a little love tap like this one recieved without destroying everything your suggesting. Then it's not anything of the caliber U.S. & other foreign countries are building. Besides this very website lists a number of Volvo issues that are obviously reoccurring quality issues without blaming it on previous accident damage.

After I dump this one, I'll stick with Lincoln Towncars! Better ride, quality, reliability, impact resistance..., & mileage in the mid twenties!

Old 03-13-2010, 02:04 AM

Well, if you don't want a second opinion, don't ask for it.
Good luck.
BTW, I spent four years in collision repair, so take the information as you please.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 PM

I was looking for troubleshooting suggestions to fix it, not general observations like "Welcome to the world of secondary collision damage". Then more general shotgun diagnostics about damaged sensors & kinked lines.

I was hoping to hear more specific information like check this ground wire, or how to download codes. Something I can use to find the problem without paying for a service trip to a dealer. The car is 18 years old, so it wouldn't take long at a Volvo dealership to spend what it's worth. I'm sure that's why it was totaled in the first place with such minor damage...

I'm a big Cummins fan & a member of Dodge Diesel Forum, which is why I signed up here. Now their are some members that can help you track down a faulty sensor or corroded ground. I need input from members with grease under their fingernails, not a sweater draped over their shoulders & tied around their neck!!...

Old 03-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Myze
I was looking for troubleshooting suggestions to fix it, not general observations like "Welcome to the world of secondary collision damage". Then more general shotgun diagnostics about damaged sensors & kinked lines.

I was hoping to hear more specific information like check this ground wire, or how to download codes. Something I can use to find the problem without paying for a service trip to a dealer. The car is 18 years old, so it wouldn't take long at a Volvo dealership to spend what it's worth. I'm sure that's why it was totaled in the first place with such minor damage...

I'm a big Cummins fan & a member of Dodge Diesel Forum, which is why I signed up here. Now their are some members that can help you track down a faulty sensor or corroded ground. I need input from members with grease under their fingernails, not a sweater draped over their shoulders & tied around their neck!!...
Nothing wrong with a wrecked or salvage vehicle. Try inspecting your ignition switch, may have worn contacts causing intermittent problems(your car has pretty low miles for the year,short trips). BTW, joke made me laugh.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Administrator

I missed the joke but you may want to double check the 960/S90 page, they have very few post here. Those cars were built for 7 years and lots were sold.

Besides that, I love the way my 960 rides, wouldn't trade if for the world. Toss the thing on Craigs List or something, maybe someone will free you from your frustration with such low milage.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 PM

Wanted to show you all what a real Forum looks like. Note the specific directions on where & how to check for the problem. No Voodoo generalizations about secondary collision damage, shifter linkage, kinked transmission lines, or lunar alignment.....

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=2&t=27071

Old 03-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Myze
Wanted to show you all what a real Forum looks like. Note the specific directions on where & how to check for the problem. No Voodoo generalizations about secondary collision damage, shifter linkage, kinked transmission lines, or lunar alignment.....

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=2&t=27071
They are an excellent source for information. Glad you got your problem resolved.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:35 AM

You guys are ok!

I have been intentionally trying to see if I can getting someone riled up. Like my one son can instantly accomplish with his younger sister... But you have all taken it in stride, and even detected some of my tongue-in-cheek dry humor.

I was a little disappointed with the lack of feedback, but overall you have a great website.

Thanks.....

Old 03-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Thanks for your approval, I will definately rest better this week knowing that you think we are worthly to roam the earth with the other creatures.

BTW, I finally got the joke (I'm a little slow), but the reason it took me so long is that 95% of the people that purchased the 960's/S90's DO have sweeters hung around their necks so I didn't get it.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Default good luck..if you figure out the speedo, let me know

sorry for the bad experience w the volvo and the forum. most times guys here are good and helpful once they understand where someone is coming from. i understand the simple reliable town car, 'cause the 960 wagon i have was a trade on a TC where i sell lincolns. my wife and duaghter got us on volvos when she got her 850 turbo and it has been a money pit with the redeeming virtue of being fast. i wouldnt give a flip for a 960 sedan v a TC, but the 960 wagon is about as easy a ride AND hauls stuff (feels kinda like an 02 TC wagon).
my 960 speedo quit first then a few miles later the odo quit (?). this after a local vovo shop replaced intake gasket and bypassed brake/shift interlock (was shot). not sure how there could be a connection but they SAID there wasnt (a "coincidence" of course). if you go ahead on the speedo and track it down, please let me know! (rdb_liberty@hotmail.com)

Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 AM

So did you find the problem, or did you just post back to prove you should own a BMW?

Regards, Andrew.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Really don't want to say because every time in the past when I say something positive like, "well that must have been the problem", the symptom usually comes back in short order!!... I did take the suggestion from Mathews Volvo about cleaning the connector to the speed sensor, & so far so good! I have had the car listed on Craig's List & yesterday a couple of what I now call "Volvo Heads" come out & look at it for their daughter. They are a family Volvo with 3 existing Volvo's & looking at this one for a fourth! They were quite impressed with how slick it looked for a 92, & said they would take it. However, they want their teenage daughter to get a loan to start developing a credit rating as well as some financial responsibility. Which I thought was wonderful in today's society of declining work ethic & financial responsibilty. So I told them I would hold the car until she got the paperwork finished. Hopefully the car will be a troublefree vehicle for her, & get her safely through her college years. After putting almost 2,000 miles on it, I have no doubt the car is sound, just plagued with what I have now learned ar the "usual" Volvo electrical quirks!!....

However, I did think of you guys when the wife got out of their vehicle with a sweater tied around her neck!!.....

Funny you mention BMW, because I am planning on getting a 325I or 5 series when the right deal comes by.....