New 960 owner here, need HG replacement tools help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 960 owner here, need HG replacement tools help

Hello forum. My name is Ken, and I live in Athens, GA. I just picked up a '95 960 wagon that needs a HG. PO popped a radiator hose and overheated it. Milky oil ftl. Anywho, I bought it, and am putting a HG on it. However, I need the cam install tools, and do not know where to find them outside of the $500 kit I found on ebay. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I've seen some homemade ones, but I'm not much of a fabricator,and don't have the time or the tools for metalworking. I'll be pulling the head sunday, and dropping it off at the machineshop on my short day next week. My roommate will be picking up the head for me, and I'd like to re-install the following sunday.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:40 PM

You really do not need them. Search on the site for the other HG threads, read them and learn from them. Also check out the timing belt sticky and treads. That is how you will need to set up your timing marks for your head removal. Above all do not take the cam sprockets / gears off the cam shafts!!!!! Take lots of pictures as you go, so you can get it back together, and show us pictures of things you have ?s on. You can and will get a lot of help from the members. It is a hard job, but you can do it, if you look before you leap. I can not tell you how important it is to read and learn before you start work.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks. I was trying to figure out why the manual told me to remove the cam gears, it didn't seem to make too much sense. I definitely planned on taking tons of pictures. I ordered all the HG parts (head set, head bolts), along with all the timing belt & water pump parts too. Anything else I should know about as a 'while you're in there' part?

Old 01-09-2010, 10:40 PM

Soo, just did a compression test. Numbers were as follows:

1. 70
2. 70
3. 145
4. 90
5. 138
6. 70

Should I be concerned with the low compression numbers I'm seeing on one of these cars thats been overheated?? I'm going to go get a cooling system pressure tester tomorrow to confirm that the HG is actually popped. Also going to do a wet test in a little bit.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:57 PM

You should ALWAYS be concerned with an engine that has been overheated especially if you were not there when the overheating occurred. Excessive heat does much damage to metal and can affect parts that seem ok now but later might prove to have been damaged. Still, in your case at least the motor is not seized which is a good sign. The compression numbers are not too bad... Make sure the head is not warped--the machine shop will check into that.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 PM

Well, after talking to a friend, I did a wet compression test. The results were as follows:

1. 170
2. 175
3. 195
4. 175
5. 245
6. 177

Not bad, fairly consisted except for #5, and I checked it twice to be sure. So, I said 'you know what - I'm going to throw it back together and see if it even starts'. Mine you, I've never even fired this car. We pushed it onto and off a trailer. So, I put it all back together (mostly) to find that a coolant pipe going to the front of the head is not attached, and it's pouring coolant out of that onto the ground. Amazingly, the car fired pretty much immediately. Since that coolant pipe wasn't attached, I only ran it for ~30 seconds. So, I'm going to head to the junkyard tomorrow morning and try to get the hardware that holds that on. Once I get that, I'm going to re-assemble and see if I can diagnose the real problem before dumping ~$700 in parts into this engine.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:30 AM

I just found a bag of bolts in the back of the car. Does anybody have a picture by chance of what those bolts are supposed to look like? That would absolutely just make my day

That, or a parts diagram showing those bolts and what size they are so I can identify them.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

What picture are you looking for? I'm about to tear into my 960 to replace a timing belt, tensioners, pulley and water pump. I can send you a quick pic of whatever you need.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
What picture are you looking for? I'm about to tear into my 960 to replace a timing belt, tensioners, pulley and water pump. I can send you a quick pic of whatever you need.
Need a picture of the coolant pipe that goes to the head. More specifically, the bolts that attach it, so I can re-attach mine. I'm 95% positive thats the only thing missing. if there's more, I'll find it after I reattach that, lol.

My email, btw, is kenneth.oswald@gmail.com if you'd like to email the pic. Or post it here for all if you can, thats fine too

Old 01-10-2010, 10:23 AM

is it on the exhaust side? towards the timing belt cover?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by silkhope
is it on the exhaust side? towards the timing belt cover?
Yes. I think I found the bolts to it (or at least 2 that're the same pitch and long enough). The bottom of the 2 is a bastard to get in there, lol. Going back out tot he garage nwo to see if I can find my swivel.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:08 PM

FYI, I got the pipe tightened up, and started it up again. Lots of white smoke out the exhaust, and slowly but surely, a little coolant started to mix with the oil. Lets just keep our fingers crossed and hope the heads not cracked, and I'll be a happy camper

Old 01-10-2010, 02:43 PM

I just got the front exhaust manifold off, but found what I'm assuming to be an EGR tube on the rear manifold. Anybody know what size wrench it takes? Largest I have is a 20mm, and my adjustable doesn't fit down there. I was able to get it off the studs, so it's not attached to the head, so if I can, i may end up taking that off once the head is off.

Can EGR & the air pump be disabled? I really despise those things.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Sooo, i could have sworn I had the entire HG procedure write-up here somewhere, and now I can't find it Does anybody have a link to one they could provide? I've been searching and reading all morning, with no luck.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Administrator

I'll send you what I found in my repair manual.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:30 PM

OK, so far so good guys. I'm down to getting the intake manifold off. God the nut on the bottom bracket, but seriously, how on earth do you guys get what appears to be EGR pipes off?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Just sent you an e-mail.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM

Got it, and replied. There was nothing there.

On another note though, seriously. Does anybody delete EGR on these cars?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Sent message again. This time with attachment. :-)

Old 01-10-2010, 08:22 PM

Just thought I would share my pictures:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v77/kendogg441/Volvo/

Quick Reply: New 960 owner here, need HG replacement tools help