Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1993 Volvo 850 GLT won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1993 Volvo 850 GLT won't turn over

Ok my wife killed the battery in the Volvo 3 times in one week in the middle of our harsh winter (Minus 30 each night). Running our daughter to school and back 5 minutes away, I believe the alternator did not have enough time to charge the battery due to the short trips. I put the battery on trickle charge each night for her and told her to give it a good run. Finally on the 4th morning the Volvo wouldn't start, I told her to put the charger back on it until I got home from work. She tried the car 2-3 times during the day but not enough juice to get her started even on car start mode from the charger. By the time I got home the starter would not turn over. I replaced the battery with a new one and tried to start it that weekend. No luck wouldn't turn over. I figured it was the starter since the one on the car was a used one I put on 2-3 years ago. I took the starter in and the shop said it was dead. Replaced the starter with another used functioning tested starter and she still won't turn over. I've tried the shifter trick back and forth with no luck. Is there any way I can jump the starter from the battery bypassing the ignition system? Just to get it running. If any one has any ideas please let me know. The nice weather is here and I am able to work on the car.
Thanks

Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 PM

yes u can turn iggy lights on an u have the small wire switcher wire on the starter get a wire to this an then just touch the b+ on the batt if it starts there is a relay or fuse gone if not the chip in the key is faulty or transponder ring poss hope it helps

Old 04-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If the car is NOT cranking, try getting a jump. If it still will NOT crank, get a ohm meter and see if the starter and starter solenoid wire is getting power when you turn the key.

You can also crank the motor over by hand to make sure the motor is NOT locked up. If it seems to be locked up, pull the spark plugs and try to turn if over again to make sure it's not hydrolocked.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:05 PM

OK I ran a wire from the positive on the battery to the big nut on the starter and got nothing. Is that the proper wire on the starter on the single wire that has the crimped end on it?

Old 04-09-2014, 06:11 PM

OK pulled all the plugs and ran a wire from the small wire on the starter to the + battery side and still nothing.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Administrator

You are doing nothing, that is why nothing is happening. To jump the starter you have to use something to connect the small wire to the big wire. The big nut on the starter already has a direct connection to the battery. Has power all the time.

Some people put a nice thick glove on and bump the wires together, others use a ohm meter to test for power.

I suggested that you roll the motor over by hand to make sure it wasn't locked up, did you do that?

Old 04-10-2014, 07:14 AM

Yes I turned the motor over hand it is not locked up and when I put a balsa wood stick down each cylinder it didn't show any liquid on the end when I pulled it out. I have attached a wire from the pos+ side of the battery to the small wire on the starter not the big nut and all t does is spark it doesn't turn over.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by angusjustice
I have attached a wire from the pos+ side of the battery to the small wire on the starter not the big nut and all t does is spark it doesn't turn over.
That "test" should work either way. You can jump the solenoid on the starter from the wire coming from the battery as it always has power from the battery or you can run a wire from the battery and go to the small wire on the solenoid and the starter should kick it.

If it doesn't start to turn over or even click it's likely just the solenoid that is bad but I would make sure the battery connections are clean and tight before pulling the starter. If the terminals on the cables and battery are clean and tight they you can pull the starter and either replace the whole thing (my recommendation) or then test the solenoid to make sure it's just the solenoid and replace it only.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by groundsy@hotmail.co.uk
if not the chip in the key is faulty or transponder ring poss hope it helps
The what My '95 doesn't have a chip in the key so I doubt his 93 does either.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:13 PM

sounds like starter motor is faulty take it off an get it checked this might be the drain on batt witch u said u have had by charging the batt all the time I don't give terms like b+ an stuff like that just keep it simple then ur moor likely to know what we mean hope helps colin auto spark an can bus expert 7 years dealer trained

Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by groundsy@hotmail.co.uk
sounds like starter motor is faulty take it off an get it checked this might be the drain on batt witch u said u have had by charging the batt all the time I don't give terms like b+ an stuff like that just keep it simple then ur moor likely to know what we mean hope helps colin auto spark an can bus expert 7 years dealer trained
Have never seen a starter motor drain a battery.

Are you saying that being vague and not telling someone specifically how to test something is a good thing and they are supposed to be better off guessing what it is you are trying to tell them to do

Are you trying to say you are dealer trained and if so what brand of vehicle or equipment ??

Old 04-11-2014, 02:59 PM

Is it possible that the thick red wire from my battery to my starter is broken.
Could that be why when I run power from the battery to the solenoid it doesn't do anything because the starter has no power? Should I run two cables one for the starter and one for the solenoid before I pull the starter just guessing here. Like I said in my first post the starter was tested before I out it in, I'm having the same issue as I did with the old starter which makes me think it is anything but the starter. If I stand on my old starter and run a booster cable from the battery to the starter then cross over the solenoid should the starter not turn?

Old 04-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Administrator

That is why Kiss strongly suggested that you clean and check the cable connections.