Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

front break pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front break pads

I have a 95 850 turbo and the front breaks squeek pretty badly, but not when breaking really hard. I just got the car and the previous owner told me that they are older pads that are about 50% ware left on them. My mechanic told me (and the safty sheet showed) that the rotors have 90% life left and that the pads are what is making the breaks squeek. I know that changing the break pads is not very hard to do yourself but I would like to know know kind of pads would be the best for my car, and or if there would be a way to adjust the pads that are currently on the car so I could get them to stop squeeking.

Thanks
Ed

Old 04-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: front break pads

Buy a set of OEM pads and you will be fine.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Is there a specific type of OEM pads I should get. My mechanic told me that there are few different types of Volvo sertified pads I could use for the 850. I was also wondering if I were to get cermaic ones would that cause the rotors to wear differently, and if cermaic pads would increase my stopping abilities or if that is just dependent on the calapers?

-Ed

Old 04-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

The Ceramic might be a little better but could be noisey as well.
Volvo's hate aftermarket pads.
Buy a set from the Dealer you won't be disappointed.
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/234
Or those.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Thanks a lot,

I was also wondering if this is this would be a concern:
I have had my car for less than a week and when I step on it hard the coolant light comes on and then goes off. There iscoolant in the coolant overflow thought.My Brother also has and 850 and when the windsheild washer fluid light comes on when you go around corners and step on hard when it is low. I was wondering if this is just kind of an early reminder that the coolant is getting low or if there could be a bigger probalem there.

-Ed

Old 04-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Is the coolant at the Max line?
If not top it up to the Max line and see if it still does it.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:43 PM

I'll check that and get backto you, Thanks.
I was also wondering if you would know anything about thesterio system (speakers) in the850's?The one in the front driversdoor is partially blown and I am having a lot of trouble finding info on the stock sterio system.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator

I put aftermarket speakers in my front doors of my R but forget the size. They are Sony Explode speakers.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Default speakers and gas type

How Would i go about getting the speaker cover off with out breaking anything, If I knew how to do that I would be able to figure most of the sterio stuff out myself. Did you change the stock deck and amp too?
I was also wondering what type of gas would be best to use, I have been told the car will run with no problems on regular but will likely get better gas milage on premium and possibly have a little more kick. With gas prices so (I'm in Canada so there even worse) I figured I would test reg and premium and see which costs me less per mile but would like your input on this

Thanks

Old 04-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Administrator
Default RE: speakers and gas type

The speaker cover pops off.
They are 4 inch speakers I replied to your other post.
I would try to use premium.
I installed an aftermarket deck just today.
Once I finish replacing the speakers I am going to put my Box with subs back in and an amp for all the front speakers.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:10 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: tech

I put aftermarket speakers in my front doors of my R but forget the size. They are Sony Explode speakers.
Tech, I hope your speakers didn't explode. Sony once had a recall on laptop batteries and they were catching on fire during normal use.....[:@].

ED,

Follow Tech's advice. As to the OEM pads yes there seem to be a few different mfgs. I myself used OEM Textar (German) pads and was very happy with them, but seems no longer available at FCP Groton. If the fronts still squeak with new pads, I would clean out the brake area with a can of brake cleaner, sand off rusty spots if any, and apply either silicone-based or molybdenum-based brake lubricant on all metal-to-metal contacts EXCEPT the friction surfaces.

Regular octane gas would be fine, the ECU takes care of the ignition timing. Use premium only if you notice knocking/pinging.

I would use full synthetic oil for your engine.

JPN

Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's not usually the brakes that squeek but the vibration it makes when you apply pressure to the brakes. my 850 brakes squeeked really bad, but i took off the pads and put on this stuff you can buy that reduces the vibration, causing them not to squeek and it worked. you just apply it to the backside of the pad and put them back on and that's it.

if you put in aftermarket speakers. make sure to go for quality.