Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1996 Volvo 850 wagon GLT

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Volvo 850 wagon GLT

Just ran a car fax on the car I am considering buying. The first thing I notice is what I thought to be common knowledge, country of orgin sweden, country manufactured: Sweden.

Now, second thing I notice when I open up the report is this..
Not Reported NICB Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to original dealer 09/05/1995 US Customs Vehicle exported from
Belgium
and imported to
Jacksonville, FL

Belgium? was it shipped to Belgium from Sweden? Or was it built in Belgium? This isint very specific, and Yes it matters.

The oil appears to have been changed every 5k miles. I've always changed mine every 2.5 - 3k.. Is this okay?

Everything else looks good, but those two things concerned me the most beleive it or not. Timing belt, drive belts water pump all replaced quite early. No damage/accidents reported etc.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 PM

Heres a couple links to the wagon. 1996 Volvo 850 GLT Wagon
1996 Volvo 850 GLT Wagon
obviously, 4.8k is not happening. So far he said he wont sell less than 4k. I'm at 3.4 so we'll go from there when we finally meet and I check out the vehicle.

One more thing, I can't help to notice. Some 850's have the headlight wipers and some don't. Why is this? Were they removed or only come on specific 850s?

Any additional advice/opinions are appreciated aswell!
Also.. I'm considering running a second vehicle check via Autocheck. Anyone familiar with that system?

Thanks in adance!

Last edited by PoroPoika; 05-01-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

To me, price is high for a NA.

Wipers mean the car has the "Cold Weather" package. Head light cleaners and heated seats.

5K Oil changes are fine, manual say 10k is ok. We (US people) change oil to much.

If you think driving can be fun, get a turbo car.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...-thread-13678/

Here is a video if you can stand the length:

Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Just looked at the ad, a zeroed out ODO tells me that it may be broken. Drive it to make sure it is still counting miles. I checked one car that the odo read 125k, it actually had 226k on it.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice...I have the same vehicle, same color too. Mine is a 94 with the headlight wipers, 3rd row seating and Estate rims but basically the same vehicle. Headlight wipers and 3rd row seating are options to me that really don't do nothing. Many cars had options that were not standard. Not that they are worthless but they are not something that is a must have. T-belt is to be done around 60 to 70k miles, so if it was done already your good for another 50k miles. Water pump could of waited to the next t-belt change. Take it for a test drive and feel out the brakes and parking brake. Check and see if the fluid is clean and when turning look for a knocking groan coming from the front. Those are the strut towers and they dry out. The tranny fluid may be dark unless a flush was done. Any vibrations or something not up to snuff would definitely knock that price down. $4800 is a price IMO when the car is in absolute prestine condition. After 100k miles the vehicle value goes down. Ask yourself do you wanna maintain a 20 something year old vehicle in a couple of years? Be prepared to do minor repairs. Look for something that the seller would need to address to the next potential buyer. If wanting the car is more than needing a car then 3.6 would be my highest offer. If you need another good low maintenance vehicle then maybe look around for good Lexus's and BMW's in the 5k price range. They are out there but with more miles. I bought my car for $1400 with 123k miles and everything was done already. Not sure in FL but in CT the emission inspection is crucial. In a couple of years some work would need to be done to this car to maintain it in that fresh Volvo feeling. If your handy wrenching on cars Go For It!!!

Last edited by louiebay; 05-01-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM

Oh yeah, 4.8k is not happening. I'll be offering 3.4 if everything checks out. Now, was this car made in Belgium or Sweden? I can't understand the car fax, very unclear when providing manufacturing info.
As far as headlights, yeah ofc, I have no Need for them.. But I do like the way they look. Is it possible to get them put on?

Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 PM

Car made in Belgium
To have "look"of the headlight wipers is easy, drill a hole below light and just use the wiper arm as stationary coming out. Don't know if it's worth doing the right way, if you find the wiper motors cheap then sure go for it. This car most likely is wired for it but the fluid plumbing would have to be sorted out. They turn on when you activate the wiper fluid for the windshield and leave your bumper wet. Drilling the hole and removing both headlight assemblies to install could take half day to do. They sometimes stay crooked (1 wiper over headlight) You can get them at the salvage yard. I think I'm gonna have mine unplugged because they really **** me off when 1 wiper is just blocking the headlight

Take some printed Ebay and Classified ads when you look at that car. When the guy starts getting insulted at your offer show him you have other options for less money. Have this guy give you one good reason (other than mileage) why he is asking a grand more than what it's really worth. That is low mileage for the year but not that low.

If he says no to your $3400 offer then give him your number so he can call you back. When he calls a week later tell him your fridge broke down and all you got is $3000

good luck

Last edited by louiebay; 05-01-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 PM

Car made in Belgium.. eh.. One reason I want to go with a Volvo is because of how strict the automobile requirments are over in Sweden..
I guess we'll see about this car..

Last edited by PoroPoika; 05-02-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 AM

Has anyone noticed a difference in quality between the Belgium made Volvos and Sweden made Volvos?

Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM

The price seems a little high for my taste. I like to get bargains when I shop, and when you're amongst forum members who are typically technically saavy, that means they know how to *fix* cars, so they have either bought their cars needing work, or have had them long enough that they have had to do work - so, the prices they quote are sometimes low when compared to retail.

The fact that the odo may not work says one thing (if it doesn't).. and the fact that it's been repainted really isn't a positive. To most buyers, that won't make it worth any more than another equivalent car with decent original paint. The original paint was laid down with the car apart and the paint job will usually be nicer than a repaint, unless you've had a body man who is real meticulous, was willing to color sand it for you, etc.

Same goes for the new windshield. That doesn't make it worth any more than a car with a good original windsheild, and depending on how it was installed, it might be more prone to leaking.

The car isn't a collectors item, so it isn't worth a premium.

I'd stick to your guns and try to spend 2500-3k. It's not the only game in town. A little patience can go a long way.

If it's got 93k, check to see if the timing belt has been done. If it was done at the dealer, there's a sticker under the hood on the passenger side, usually on a plastic box in front of the coolant reservoir. If not, expect to spend some $$ on it if you can't do it by yourself. Factor that into your offer price as well. And the PCV system, typically done at 100k miles. That's $400 in parts if you go with the minimal, inexpensive kits at FCP, and your mechanic will probably charge you another $600 in labor. Does it need plugs, wires, etc?

You might do better looking for a Volvo enthusiast who has maintained their own car, with higher miles. They work for less

Good luck, regardless of which way you go! I just got my 850R Wagon a couple months ago after admiring it from afar since it was pretty much new!

Does it have a sunroof? I don't know if 850s come without them, but I can't tell from the pics. I have found I enjoy cars with sunroofs much, much more than those without.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Default 850 wagon

Wagon looks nice, but 4800 is WAY too high. I think they are dreaming. I wouldnt go a dime over 2000. Dave

Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM

Like I've already said, 4800 is not happening lol. 3500 is probably the max id pay.

Anyway, another concern I have is that it was made in Belgium. One reason why I want a Volvo is because how strict the automobile industry is over there in SWEDEN. I'd imagine the cars made in Belgium lacks the quality of those made in Sweden.

Has anyone noticed this to be true?

Old 05-02-2013, 05:13 PM

ALL the 850s were made in Ghent, Belgium - if you look at the mileage some of us have on our cars, you'll see that quality is DEFINITELY not a huge concern for you to have. 850s, overall, are EXTREMELY reliable if they have been taken care of at least halfway decently.

And not sure who asked about sunroofs: there ARE cars out there without them (my buddy has one) but they're very rare.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Well, heres an example of an 850 that shows to be made in Sweden.. (see 12th picture down)

1994 VOLVO 850 TURBO WAGON

Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 PM

Gothenburg is Volvo's headquarters, that tag simply indicates it was manufactured by Volvo

Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 PM

So even this one was not manufactured in Sweden?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:49 PM

There's a tag on the driver's side towards the front of the engine compartment that shows where it's built.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Old 05-02-2013, 06:58 PM

Nice! Thanks Black, very helpfull link.
So yeah, this one was made in Belgium. I wonder how the quality differs from that plant and the Swedish manufacturing sites..

Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 PM

i wouldn't sweat that it was made in Belgium, still under the control of Volvo

Quick Reply: 1996 Volvo 850 wagon GLT