Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

4 Questions for you:

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Questions for you:

First off: '96 850 GLT Wagon non-Turbo, 135,000 miles, relatively new battery and good connections on battery, running fine.

1) I'll start with the most urgent problem. I checked the oil today (which I don't do often enough, I've learned) and it didn't even hit the very bottom of the dipstick. Took my wife's car, got three quarts, put two and a half in.

Car doesn't smoke or smell of burnt oil. Oil warning light [bulb] works (comes on upon startup, then goes off with the other lights), but hasn't come on. No oil leak on bottom of car (rear main seal replaced three years ago and doing fine). A bit of oil around the filler cap, but it definitely hasn't been gushing out. ~ 4,000 miles since last oil change (was going to have it changed next week).

Question: Would it be too optimistic of me to assume cleaning the flame trap system would fix the problem?

2) I've been having some issues starting the car. It turns over just fine most of the time, but sometimes when I turn the key the starter won't engage. The actual starter works fine, and the engine comes on just quickly, but sometimes when I turn the ignition to start it won't do anything. All the warning lights come on like normal, and nothing dims when I hold the key in its furthest position, so no electricity is being used on something that's not working.

Is this a contact that's been fouled with years of carbon buildup? Where would I start the search?

3) My rear O2 sensor is faulty. How hard is it to change? I've tried to search this forum with replacement instructions but couldn't find any. Is it in front of the catalytic converter?

4) My radio reception. Woe is my radio reception. It picks up nothing when it scans, and barely picks up station I manually tune to. In some parts of the city it's fine, but in hilly or thickly wooded areas I get almost no reception on most channels. There is one station I pick up really well, but I attribute that to the station's antenna being about five miles away.

Is this a common problem? And is there an easy fix?

Thanks for your time!

Old 06-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

1. Oil is either leaking static, under pressure, or being burned through your tailpipe. You have to figure poit which.

2. Starting, I think you said that is does NOT crank sometimes? You likely have a loose or corroded battery connection.

3. O2 sensors are pretty easy to change if you use an OEM sensor. There may be instructions on my site.

4. It's probably your radio. However, your antenna wire may be coming loose from the back of the radio.

Last edited by rspi; 06-23-2011 at 06:06 AM. Reason: spacing
Old 06-23-2011, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
1. Oil is either leaking static, under pressure, or being burned through your tailpipe. You have to figure poit which.2. Starting, I think you said that is does NOT crank sometimes? You likely have a loose or corroded battery connection.3. O2 sensors are pretty easy to change if you use an OEM sensor. There may be instructions on my site.4. It's probably your radio. However, your antenna wire may be coming loose from the back of the radio.
Thanks for your quick reply. On the subject of the starting problem, yes, it doesn't crank. Basically it goes like this: It seems to be random, not having anything that triggers it. When I turn the key and it doesn't start, I can return the key to any previous position (sometimes I even take it out and reinsert the key). I just keep trying until it starts.

And I'll check the back of the radio tomorrow. Thanks again!

Old 06-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

starting issue could also be the ignition switch - notorious for problems on these cars. A relatively easy fix.

Everything RSPI said is dead on though other than not mentioning that possibility.

Oh, and on the wagon, check to make sure the antenna is plugged in securely on the back glass on the driver's side. That could also be part of the problem.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Administrator

By chance you have an ignition switch problem, usually they have accessory problems before they have starting problems. Have you been having problems like: a. Windows not wanting to roll down randomly? b. Gear shifter getting stuck sometimes? c. Lighting problems? You can try jiggleing the key while you hold it in the start position.

I'm new to wagons so I'm not sure how you can get to the window antenna wire connection? Maybe remove some trim.

Last edited by rspi; 06-23-2011 at 06:08 AM. Reason: spacing
Old 06-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Here is the link to my O2 sensor replacement: O2 Sensor on a 1995 Volvo 850 T-5 replacement instructions

Last edited by rspi; 06-23-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:14 AM

By chance you have an ignition switch problem, usually they have accessory problems before they have starting problems. Have you been having problems like: a. Windows not wanting to roll down randomly? b. Gear shifter getting stuck sometimes? c. Lighting problems? You can try jiggleing the key while you hold it in the start position.

I'm new to wagons so I'm not sure how you can get to the window antenna wire connection? Maybe remove some trim.
Forgot about it not wanting to shift out of park every once in a while! It does have that problem. Sometimes when I get it started the ABS and TRACS lights stay on and I have to use the shiftlock override to get it out of park. Most times just doing that will kick the ABS and TRACS lights off, but once I did it and they stayed on and my speedometer didn't work. I had my ABS control module rebuilt about ~ 10,000—15,000 miles ago.

Here is the link to my O2 sensor replacement: O2 Sensor on a 1995 Volvo 850 T-5 replacement instructions
THanks!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 AM

^^ That does sound like the ignition switch. Try the jiggle trick to see if you can get the Shift Lock to work.

Here is the switch if you need to replace it, http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...nuine+Volvo%29

Last edited by trs80; 06-23-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rspi: on the wagon, you have a plug that looks like a 9V battery plug where the antenna wiring plugs into the window - on the wagons, the antenna is built into the drivers side back window.