Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 Cooling Fan Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 850 Cooling Fan Won't Start

Hey now good people [sm=smiley20.gif],

I have recently had an issue with the Anvil (850 Estate) and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it.

The temp guage normally rises and settles at the 3 o'clock position but recently has started shooting up and the car has stalled a couple of times, usually no where near home, and no one likes seeing their car on a hook or flat bed [:@].

The cooling fan, for radiator, doesn't seem to be coming on and Ithis is a recent issue that has scared the hell out of me when I was driving in Ottawa last week and in Pembroke yesterday.

I recently had to replace the engine due to a water pump failure that snapped the timing belt, and being an interference engine, caused head and piston damage. Long story short, I need to know at what temperature is the fan to come on at?

I did as the owners manual suggests and ran the heater on high to try and help keep the temperature down but this doesn't to really help much in stop and go traffic [].

1. At what point/temp should the fan actually start up at?
2. Is there a way to test the fan to see if it actually works? How do I do this?
3. Is it possible to wire the fan to a switch so that I can turn it on and have it running allthetime? Is this a bad idea?
4. Because it is a '94 will there be a problem with finding sensors? How many are there for the cooling system?
5. How much do they cost?

I know that there are people here with the collective knowledge of the Library of Congress and I look forward to your help as I have asked about other issues and been given the help needed and I really appreciate any and all help that you can offer as the warmer weather is getting here and the last thing anybody needs is to see their temp guage pointing toward outer space.

I, literally yesterday, just got a Haynes manual for the Anvil and I'm going through it now from front to back to find out what I can but will still take any and all suggestions.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14053/FB2389CC5AD842D4959A90EA18E91229.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 850 Cooling Fan Won't Start

Im not sure of the exact temp.
But does the fan spin if you try with your hand?
Does it come on when you run the A/C?

Be VERY careful and don't drive it till you get it fixed or you will be putting another engine in it.
If it stalled a couple of times already you might have blown the headgasket already.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:19 AM

Hey tech, nice to hear from you again. [sm=smiley20.gif]

I'm going to go outside right now and find out.

Yes it does and no it does not [:@]

There is no binding and for the tight space that there to fit you fingers in and it spins freely.

At what point should the fan come on with the A/C on? Should it come on right away or does the engine need to be warm?

To be quite honest with you, I can't recall ever hearing the fan come on. Either with the old engine or with this one [sm=smiley24.gif].

Back atcha,

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Administrator

With the A/C it will come on right away.

If it doesn't take a test light and check the small wires with the key on.
One when you touch with the test light will ground the relay and make the fan come on.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 AM

Hey now tech,

I've taken some photos of the car and what it is that I'm trying to do but can't seem to figure out how to attach them to this post to provide a you better description of what it is I'm looking at. [:@]

I was able to at thetop of this post but now when I try it wants a link to what appears to me to be a web page?!?!?!

What the heck am I doing wrong here?[] Why can I not attach a pic here?

Anyhoo, I got the test light out and connected it to the engine block, the loop at the top of the engine that's used to attach an engine hoist, but I'm not sure where to start probing and don't want to just start poking around the wires so what I'm going to do is go to my garage and add the pic's there and you can see what it is that I'm looking at and, if you would be so kind, you can describe/tell me where to start and I'll get right on it and get back to you.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator

It depends on which way you try to reply.
If you do the quick reply that is at the bottom of the post you cannot add attachments.
But if you click "post reply" then you can add attachments.

Oh and soory almost forgot. You will probe on of the small wire in the center plug.
I forget which one so try both but one should kick the fan on.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:11 PM

Sweet [sm=smiley20.gif],

That's one problem solved and sorry it took so long to get back to you. Problem with the home phone and I just spent the last hour speaking with five different people at Bell trying to figure it out. Still got no dial tone though.[sm=icon_quiet.gif]Grrrrrrr. Fargin' Bell.

Anyhoo, I'll go and take more pic's of what it is I'm trying andpost a reply shortly with me pointing at what it is I'm doing. [sm=lol.gif]haha.

I really appreciate your help and now that it's stopped raining I may try the Dupli-Colour on the bumpers and side mouldings as the once black trim is now varying shades of grey tonot even grey .

Back in a bit.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-26-2008, 01:34 PM

Hey now,

I checked the relay and probed the yellow/white line on the center plug and [sm=smiley20.gif]. The fan came on so I know that it works.

I was happy and went to check it again just to hake sure but now the relay only make a clicking sound and will not start the fan [sm=smiley21.gif]and it's got me wondering "what now [sm=insomnia.gif]?" It's odd that it would work once and not again.

Another question is why can't I clear the light that is on in the last pic? I know that I have an ABS sensor that needs replacing as it will set theTRACS and ABS lights on the dash right away and sometimes I can drive for a while before it comes on. But I digress and will stick to the fan issue for now.

Back in a bit with the codes.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14053/0C0E24BC91724EE99EC08705D915E468.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14053/3E75BA208D4F4698B73BB5DF791DEBBA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14053/998F686BD6FC47A5AE311D92682B254A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14053/AFDDB1975BDD42199E1B77B25B7F7E4D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Make sure all the plugs are tight and the wires on teh center plug aren't coming out.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:15 PM

Hey now,

Going out to check that now as well as all of the pins for codes and will be back in an hour.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-26-2008, 08:33 PM

Hey now,

Back again and it was a loose connector whenI was probing the line for the fan. Still the fan does not come on when the engine comes up to temp. And the fan does not come on when I use the A/C. So I'm thinking it's the fan relay and I'm going to lookfor a new or used one on eBay to check prices.

I have also noticed that the temp guage will drop to zero on occasion and this, I'm thinking, is a bad temp sensor. Maybe the one located in near the thermostat unless there's another. I'm still learning as I go and will figure this out.

Now for the codes that I was able to pull before it started raining.

A1. Transmission
111 This is good.

A2. Fuel system
111 This is also good.

A3. ABS System
141 - Faulty Brake Pedal position sensor, shorted to earth or supply
142 - Faulty stop light switch, open circuit or short circuit

A6. Ignition System
131 - Engine speed (RPM) sensor signal missing
214 - Engine speed (RPM) sensor signal missing sporadically
241 - EGR system flow too low in system
314 - Camshaft Position sensor signal missing or faulty
324 - Camshaft Position sensor signal missing sporadically

A7. Instrument Cluster
121 - Temperature signal interval too short
132 -No RPM sensor signal

B1. Electronic Climate Control system
122 - Outside temperature sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts
132 - Driver side air duct temperature sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts
411- Blower fan seized or drawing excessive current
413 - No control voltage at driver’s side interior temperature sensor inlet fan
414 - Driver side interior temperature sensor inlet fan seized
415 - Passenger’s side interior temperature sensor inlet fan shorted to earth
416 - No control voltage at passenger side interior temperature sensor inlet fan
417 -Passenger side interior temperature sensor inlet fan seized
418 - No control signal to blower fan power stage

B2. Cruise control
122 - Speed has not exceeded 22mph or no speed signal

There seem to be a whack'o'codes that I'm going to have to take care of sooner or later and I have the feeling that this is going to cost me some $$$$$ unless I go back to schooland become a technician.

Well, here's hoping I can tackle these issues one at a time and get them fixed. Oh, is this dash light on because of all the codes?

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14053/97040F66619948BEBBBAA7422D5A609F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14053/FA5E3EA4AB274245B449833126B5B574.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Administrator

The light is a Lamba light just like a check engine light.
Clear all codes and see what comes back.
Yes I would replace the temp sensor and thermostat and relay.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:12 PM

Hey now tech,

I've cleared the codes and I'll see what comes back.

Just make sure that I did this right, I'm to use the jumper in each of the (A1, A2, A3) points and hold down the button for five or more seconds, wait for the LED, hold down for five or more seconds, wait for the light and then check to see if they have cleared?

I'm hoping that this will work and I'll stop by the shop tomorrow and see about getting a temp sensor from my old engine as the temp guage never dropped like it did with the old engine and I'm looking online for a new cooling fan relay as they are between $50 and $70. I'll be taking it easy for the rest of the week as I'm not interested in replacing, yet, another engine.[:'(]

For the climate control issue, do you think that I may be looking at replacing the whole system or is it possible to find the sensors?

Thanks for your input and I'll be back as this is an older car and I'm sure there will be more to fix as time goes by.

Grandpa used to say, "If it's got t%t's or tires, it's gonna cost ya"(Said in a deepbass voice)

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

I always hold the button for 10 seconds instead of 5.
alot of the A/C codes should stay cleared. See what comes back.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:28 PM

Hey now,

I've about to head to work and will give it a go during my break and take a tour after work tonight and see what comes back.

Thanks[sm=smiley20.gif] for your input and we'll see.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: tech

I always hold the button for 10 seconds instead of 5.
alot of the A/C codes should stay cleared. See what comes back.
This is what I do also Tech, as 5 seconds doesn't seem to be enough in some cases.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 AM

Hey now,

Not only do I[sm=thanx.gif]all who have given me information and assistance, and if I couldtake Tech and others out fora [sm=icon_guiness.gif] I would.

The things that I have learned about the Volvo series, and the 850 in particular, have taught me not to be afraid and that I can fix many of the things that can go wrong with my car. I have a lot of the tools (could always use more )needed asI have owned a number ofP.O.S. in my dayand shouldnot to be running to the shop for every little thing.

While going to the shop can solve a number of issues quickly, the cost can mount up even faster, and in the end when you find out what has been done to fix the problem you think to yourself "[:@]damn I could have done that".

Anyhoo, being without a garage or carport, and the fact that it's raining like a bugger here, I'll have to take the car to the local "you wash" car wash as it has a coverd bay and I'll go through and clear all of the codes(didn't really have the time to do it at work yesterday)and see what comes back as I head to Napa and get a price on the temp sensor and thermostat and relay and take care of them this weekend as it's supposed to rain all fargin' week [], like I said no garage/carport makes it a pain in the rain.

I'll be back in a while and give a list of what's left and I Thank you all for you knowledge and support.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Your welcome!!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:36 PM

Hey now.

I cleared the codes but haven't had a chance to see if they came back as I haven't done much driving.

The coolant temp sensor was changed today but it's so fargin' cold here, 3 degrees C,and even with the AC on the fan does not come on. Again, probably too cold out for it to come on, so I'll wait for a warmer day and see what happens.

The thermostat was changed whe the engine was changed as well as the timing belt, water pump, front and rear seals, tensioner and everything else that is supposed to be changed so thatI could receive the 20K warranty [sm=smiley20.gif]. Not even 2K since tis change. I wonder where I can get a fan relay? Any idea's?

As for the climate control codes, I am going to wait as I have found that I have a coolant leak as I get that sickly sweet smell on occasion. I still have goodheat and the AC works fine. It isprobably from the heater core (as this is the only place it can be coming from)and I'm looking at getting that, and the evaporator, changed as soon as funds become avilable as they are pretty much side by each and the dash will have to come out to do this. Still paying for the engine change [].

I'm wondering if I can change any of the climate controlsensors (B1 codes)or if the whole unit will need replacing . Any idea's?

I don't have a workng cruise control and I'm fairly certain that this is related to the absense of a signal from the front left wheel sensor that I got a little while back as the warning lights don't always come on right away, sometimesI can drive for some time before they light up, and I'm wondering what that's going to cost [:@]. Any idea's on the cost of replacement?

I don't really see any difference with the A6 codes as the car is running fine. Could this be a one time issue? What would the running symptoms be? I'll go back to pulling codes and post what I get in a day or two.

Thanks to all who have posted and keep the idea's coming.

Gotta go to work now[:'(]so that I can afford to keep the Anvil running fairly smoothly.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Yes you can change the sensors seperatly.

DId the A6 codes come back already?

Quick Reply: 850 Cooling Fan Won't Start