Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 Dashboard Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 850 Dashboard Speaker Replacement

I recently bought a 1997 850R sedan. I used to have a '94 Turbo sedan, and I have missed it since I sold it. One of my favorite features of the car was the stereo, which I always felt was excellent, and the '97's stereo has seemed lackluster.

Back in the day, I replaced the front speakers in my '94 when the magnets fell off, and it was as easy as ordering factory replacements and installing them. My new car had front speakers with torn cones and I set about looking for replacements, but none were to be found. After digging around, I found a pair of T-125 2" Tweeters from Simply Speakers. It was probably from a post I found here via Google. They looked like they would fit well, they are 8-ohms, and they were only $12.95 each, so I ordered up a pair and gave it a shot.

In the end, they were a great fit. I removed the old speakers by squeezing the plastic tabs together and prying the speakers up off of the holder. They were glued in, in addition to being held in by the tabs. Then, I desoldered the wires from the okd speakers and set them aside.

Next, I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to open up the ends of the mounting ears so they would fit around the plastic mounting tabs and hold the speakers more or less in place. A little shoe goo to hold the speakers down, and I was able to solder the existing wires onto the tabs.

In the end, it made a huge difference to the sound of the stereo, and I was really happy that I didn't have to modify, cut, or otherwise mess with the mounting brackets.

Here are some photos.

Tom
​​​ The finished product. Replacement speakers in the original holder.
Original speaker on the right, modified speaker on the left.
Original Volvo speaker on the left, replacement on the right. While the plastic surround is larger on the factory speaker, the cones are right about the same size.
Original speaker up top, replacement on the bottom.