Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 GLT Wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If you are located in Washington state you will likely get parts a lot quicker if ordered from www.iPDUSA.COM.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turkey_Sandwich
FCP has their extended service kit on sale for $188 and free shipping.

Volvo 850 Service Kit-Buy Volvo Parts at FCP Groton

No way to promise that this will 100% solve your problem, but if it has been an unknown time since these items were changed, it needs to be done. These cars are very particular about worn ignition items.
Originally Posted by MattyXXL
Stage 0 is what you would do to make it how it was from factory..
You will need;
Cap
Rotor
Plugs (copper work better) & (gapped correctly)
Wires
air Filter
Fuel Filter
Clean PTC
PCV if it hasnt been done in a while.
Check all vac lines and elbows
there is other stuff that can be done but start there first
Originally Posted by rspi
If you are located in Washington state you will likely get parts a lot quicker if ordered from www.iPDUSA.COM.
Ok thanks guys. I will look up the stuff for iPDUSA and compare prices to FCP Groton. I wont be able to get anything until next month due to money, but it will be budgeted in. Also i will be going to the autoparts store tomorrow morning before my wife goes to work so i can get the code read to see what it is. Thank you everyone for your help.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to check if you need a PCV job done on you 850,when you car gets warm, pull the dipstick out, if there is smoke coming out from the hole that means you need your pcv replaced. its a lot of work and getting a volvo dealer to work on the pcv will break your bank account.if you can do it yourself that will save you alot of money.or you can get a personal mechanic who can help you save some money.where are u located?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by slimflex2
to check if you need a PCV job done on you 850,when you car gets warm, pull the dipstick out, if there is smoke coming out from the hole that means you need your pcv replaced. its a lot of work and getting a volvo dealer to work on the pcv will break your bank account.if you can do it yourself that will save you alot of money.or you can get a personal mechanic who can help you save some money.where are u located?
I am in Washington state near the SeaTac Airport which is between Seattle and Tacoma.
Also used the Auto parts stores computer today and my only fault code is P300 Random misfire detected. I pulled one of the spark plugs yesterday and it looks pretty bad so its time to change them. Then work on the rest of everything after i get my disability pay for next month.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:11 PM

sorry to hear this brother.l know how that feels. it looks like you need a complete tune up.check your air filter and make sure its not clogged up, get volvo spark pugs from IPDUSA, you can get bosch or borgicourd wires from amazon for a pretty good price.thats what l did. also clean your MAF if you can because it helps.if you want your engine to breath better get K&N air filter,l did and noticed improvement.when was the last time you did a tune up?l asked you where you are located because l wanted to know if l could meet you somewhere and provide assistance if l can.but it looks like new york and washington is far.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:10 PM

sorry to hear this brother.l know how that feels. it looks like you need a complete tune up.check your air filter and make sure its not clogged up, get volvo spark pugs from IPDUSA, you can get bosch or borgicourd wires from amazon for a pretty good price.thats what l did. also clean your MAF if you can because it helps.if you want your engine to breath better get K&N air filter,l did and noticed improvement.when was the last time you did a tune up?l asked you where you are located because l wanted to know if l could meet you somewhere and provide assistance if l can.but it looks like new york and washington is far.
The air filter is good but i will be replacing it with a K&N when i can budget it. I had one in my last car which was a pontiac grand prix gt with a supercharged 3.8 and you could really tell the difference. Im sure with the Volvo i will be able to also. I have never given it a tune up. I bought it a month ago and checked the fluids and air filter then and had the dealership i bought it from change the air filter and the oil and oil filter. Whats the best way to clean the MAF? I have heard they can be pretty sensitive. I will look to see if i see smoke coming out of the dipstick tube today also. Also thank you for your offer to help in person. Yes its quite the drive. Even if we met half way. I have a doctors appointment today at the VA and when i get my travel pay i will use it to go buy spark plugs and then change them out when the engine cools down. Hopefully that will help. If not then back to the change out list for parts and i will probably get most of the stuff from IPDUSA, Amazon, or RockAuto. Thank you for your help. I will let you know how everything goes.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Administrator

The spark plug wires have dates on them. Week/year, so 29/94 means the wires were made in July of 1994. I have actually seen some cars with original wires on them.

When you get a chance, read the NEW 850 Owner thread.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 PM

no problem brother. the best way to clean a maf sensor is to get a mass airflow sensor cleaner from autozon or any auto parts store.the MAF also plays part at starting your car.a bad MAF can cause hard starting.if you find it difficult on how to clean it just message me and l will make a video or take pictures on how to do it and email it to u. wish you could do a compression test to know the health of your motor.but take care of this problem first then we move from there. this is how it looks like.heres a link to amazon.so that you can have an idea on how it looks like.Good luck
http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05110-Mass.../dp/B000J19XSA

Old 04-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the MAF also plays part at starting your car.a bad MAF can cause hard starting.
This may be true of many EFI cars, but the 850 does not have an intake air temp sensor (like some cars have integrated into the MAF). It uses the coolant temp sensor to determine injector timing on startup.

I don't doubt his MAF should be cleaned, and could even be bad. Just want to be clear on this point.

Last edited by Turkey_Sandwich; 04-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:00 PM

I bought a https://www.fcpgroton.com/product-ex...o_Tune_Up_Kit_ They have the best prices for the quality they offer that i have seen out of everywhere i have looked
Hopefully it should be here towards the end of the week or early next. I also added a fuel filter in the package. I will get the MAF cleaner tonight. I was also thinking of getting a couple bottles of SeaFoam one for the gas tank now then half in with the oil then half through a vacuum line right before i change out everything in that kit. Any other suggestions for now? Also thank you all for your help. I feel like this could all go into a car nightmare movie with me as the inexperienced hated car wrecker.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 PM

dont run the seafoam in the vacuum now, wait till you get new spark plugs. because sometimes the engine misfires when its sucked through the vacuum lines. add 1/3 or it to your gas tank, and run it through the vacuum lines when you have new plugs installed.Clean the MAF first and see if it helps.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Administrator

I' m so scared of SeaFoam.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 PM

RSPI l used it and it worked good on my 850.if done right you should be fine man.LOL.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 AM

Ok Did a tune up. Replaced all this
  1. Distributor rotor
  2. Distributor Cap
  3. Spark plugs
  4. Spark plug wires
  5. Air Filter
Will replace Fuel filter this weekend. Also pushed some SeaFoam through the Vac tree. Deleted old codes. Car runs much better now. No new engine codes. Thank you everyone for your help.
If anyone wants to see what SeaFoam does with your exhaust while your burning it out of your engine.https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8O...S1lM1BWeUVBVTA