Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 Seat back cable repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished this repair, didnt seem to work right for me, I think my seat my have other issues. For some reason it reclines great, but everytime i press the button to incline it, it moves about a 1/8 inch, then just stops almost as if ive made it to a pre-programmed forward position. So I had to keep tapping the button about 50 times to incline the seat to a better position.

EDIT:
So after some more research, I found a PDF with this info for calibrating seats:

"Test Mode No. 1 (Accessing Codes)
1) Power seat diagnostic system is operated via diagnostic
unit "B", socket No. 6, using button and test lead from diagnostic
unit "A". To access diagnostic system, connect test lead from
diagnostic unit "A" to socket No. 6 on diagnostic unit "B".
See Fig. 1. Press any button on seat controls for seat to be
diagnosed.
2) Hold button down when turning on ignition, and keep
holding it down for about one second longer. Ignition must have been
off for at least 5 seconds before beginning diagnosis. Press button
once to select test mode No. 1 and read codes. See POWER SEAT
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES table."

In part 2 where it says "Hold button down when turning on ignition", is that referring to any random seat position switch, or the diagnostic button under the hood by the headlight?

Last edited by jasew503; 02-02-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have no idea what you are referring to.

So what happens when you hit the incline button, to make the seat raise upright? Does the motor keep running or does the motor turn off? If it goes off, you likely have an issue with the motor or switch itself.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In part 2 where it says "Hold button down when turning on ignition", is that referring to any random switch, or the diagnostic button under the hood by the headlight?

I'm sure it's not the button under the hood as there isn't any way you can reach it and turn the ignition key.

Where did you get that PDF and can you post a link ??

Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
In part 2 where it says "Hold button down when turning on ignition", is that referring to any random switch, or the diagnostic button under the hood by the headlight?

I'm sure it's not the button under the hood as there isn't any way you can reach it and turn the ignition key.

The motor stops as if its reached the "limit" of how far the seat can go.

Where did you get that PDF and can you post a link ??
Someone actually posted the link on this forum somewhere, cant remember where I found it, but here is the "power Seats Memory" pdf:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/ser...eatsMemory.pdf

The original link I found was a ZIP file with a whole bunch of tech documents like this, from Volvo North America.

Anyways, appearently Seat Motor Calibration in usually done with some special volvo computer, or you can do it this way presumably with 2 people and 90 presses altogether of the diag button.

EDIT:

This sounds weird, but after a ton of research today, these seats supposedly have potentiometers in them that tell a computer under the seat what position each part of the seat is physically in, and it will tell the motor to stop turning when reaching a certain END point. So for example, moving the powered seat all the way to the rear position till the motor stopped, then re-centering the rails without telling this computer, the computer will assume the re-centered rail position is still all the way in the far back position, if that makes sense... hard to explain i guess. This would have something to do with the memory positions and programming them, its how the seat "knows where its at" for each saved setting.

This computer is also wired to the ECU for some reason, and can be re-calibrated somehow to change things like the Speed in which the seat's motors move, and also when to tell the motors to stop at a certain physical point (re-programming/calibrating the potentiometer's END reading of the seat's position).

lol, like i said, hard to explain and it sounds far fetched, but this is what ive read so far, hope that all made sense.

Last edited by jasew503; 02-02-2014 at 11:25 PM.