Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 Wagons - do you have / want a spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by johnwartr
And, could someone post a pic of the rails with spoiler too, please?
Did you miss this one from page 1?

Name:  Volvo1122002.jpg
Views: 11277
Size:  115.8 KB

Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Here is mine. I took rails from a 1999 V70. I believe all rails from '93 through '00 will work. The '98 - '00 are fatter and look better in my opinion.

Something is strapped up there at least once per month. I also tow things about once per month. lol

Last edited by rspi; 04-23-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Administrator

I installed the trim from the '99 V70, they are nicer due to the rain catchers along the windshield. I did paint my rails with bumper paint in the summer. Several light coats and they look good. Pull them off slowly and try not to bend them (trim).

I also re-finished a set of the trim pieces on a S70. They were peeling and I finished them with bumper paint.

The rear bumper from the '98 - '00 V70 does fit on the 850's. Most of them have the dual exhaust cut outs so you can add dual exhaust or put a fake tip on the other side.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL rspi: I tow stuff with my car all the TIME...just last week i had a trailer with a cubic yard of river rock on it - the week before i towed a riding mower to the shop for a friend of mine and picked it up.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They suit your car well, rspi! Did you opt to not install the cross-bars?

Can anyone tell me what tools I should take to pull the front inner fenders out of a car? Mine are torn up and I'd like to grab a set while I'm at the pull a part.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:51 AM

I believe they're held in by rivets (along the bumper) and plastic nuts on the body of the car. Make sense? I haven't pulled one all the way off yet, but have fought with a few during other projects.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 AM
Administrator

What Gold said.

I have not found cross bars yet.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 AM

I about peed myself when i found the complete rack with bars on the xc70...even better was that they sold me the whole rack for20 bucks. Rspi: I'm keep my eyes open for you for crossbars. If i find a set, they're yours.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 PM
BFR

Did all 850R wagons come with the rear spoiler? Or was it optional or did it come out after a certain point in time? Mine doesn't have one and it doesn't look like it ever did. It's a 1/96 build date.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:18 PM

BFR: it came on the R wagons and was an option (a rare option) on any other wagon. They're installed by brackets held in place with torx bolts on the tailgate hinge on either side.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 PM
BFR

Thanks! Does someone make a repro of the spoiler and hardware or is there an eBay/craigslist treasurer hunt in my future?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 PM

A better option would be to hunt for them in the junk yards. I've found a total of 3. One is now on my car, one got sold to a forum member for what I paid for it, and the last one got donated to a friend of mines 97 n/a wagon. Typical price from a junk yard is around 20 bucks.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by ibified
BFR: it came on the R wagons and was an option (a rare option) on any other wagon. They're installed by brackets held in place with torx bolts on the tailgate hinge on either side.
My R wagon didn't come with one.

You should be able to use a spoiler off an 850 or V70/XC wagon up to 2000 or so.

I've picked up a few Volvo bits over the recent months to spruce up the car. A new bumper cover is sitting in my garage, waiting for me to save the $$ to get it painted. Unfortunately, my wife is losing her job, and I have to adjust priorities for a bit for awhile.

I installed some newer paint matched door handles with the help of goldponcho. That ended up being quite a fiasco because I didn't change them out properly, and broke the drivers door actuator. I also locked myself out of the car when my remote stopped working and the lock rod fell off inside my tailgate. I had also gone with 2 passenger front handles, thinking the drivers door would look 'cleaner' with no lock cylinder. It made sense that I could just unlock the tailgate and climb in, should the remote get broken, lost, etc. I hit the local pull a part, and they had a white drivers door handle with lock. I rekeyed the lock cylinder to match my key, wasn't bad at all. Fun project, really. Also had to replace the door actuator I broke. If you remove the front door handles, make sure you pop the lock cylinders out before removing the handles. Once you remove the little black cover over the screws, there's a spot to insert a small screwdriver, pick, etc, then put the key in the lock, turn it 90 degrees, and pull the whole cylinder out. Don't just grab the handle and pull!

Then, I picked up another tailgate spoiler that I thought was a deal, in the right color and everything. Turns out what I thought was a superficial crack on the underside was actually a pretty big crack, that extended to the topside of the spoiler, too. When I installed it, you could hear the spoiler cracking on the cracked side, so I'm going to have to get the *other* spoiler I bought earlier painted to match the car - and then install it again. I've left the white one on the car for now, because even with a slight crack, I like the way it looks.

I also did V70 tails. Word to the wise, grab the light boards that plug into the back of them. I left them behind, because the pull a part would charge me another 2-3 bucks per side for them... and then, found out the V70 lamp boards were slightly different than the 850 ones!

Both spoilers I bought were supposed to come with complete mounting kits. They did *not*! If you pull one of these off a car, you will need both screws on either side of the tailgate that hold the tailgate to the hinges. The screws are replaced with longer ones when you install the brackets. Most people who remove the spoilers probably just stick the screws back into the tailgate, otherwise, it'd fall off! There are 2 on each side, and you replace 1 on each side at a time while installing the mounts. So, if you are going to get one from a junkyard, you will end up removing the tailgate, otherwise you won't have all the hardware!

It appears one of the tailgate mounting screws on each side is larger on the v70, so if you grab one from a v70, and plan to use it on an 850... expect that you will probably have to get a mounting kit. My local hardware store didn't have the right screws to just use the kit I got with my spoiler, used. The screws are countersunk flatheads, and another bracket screws right on top of the first one, so if you use anything but the right countersunk flathead screw, the 2nd bracket won't 'sit right'.

I ended up getting a complete mounting kit from a nearby Volvo dealer. P/N is 9499234, and it runs about 40 bucks.

I read a few posts where people talked about double stick tape. My spoilers/kits don't appear to have ever had any double stick tape on them. The new kit didn't come with any, either. There *are* foam pads that stick to the bottom of the spoiler, so it doesn't scratch the tailgate.

Some pics?

Last edited by johnwartr; 07-27-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by BFR
Thanks! Does someone make a repro of the spoiler and hardware or is there an eBay/craigslist treasurer hunt in my future?
The rear spoiler w/o 3rd brake light is Volvo P/N 9134941
The rear spoiler with 3rd brake light is Volvo P/N 9192030

About $220 at your local dealer, unpainted, for the version w/o 3rd brake light.

Have never seen the one with 3rd brake light new.

Here are the installation instructions:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/dow...structions.pdf

Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 AM
BFR

You guys rock thanks! I'll start my search in the junkyard but if not there's always the dealer as a more costly last resort. One more Q - Did the U.S. market R wagon come with one with the third brake light or no? I'll guess no from John's post but confirm. Thanks again.

Last edited by BFR; 07-27-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:58 PM

johnwartr, Good looking car! Your R is almost identical in appearance to my R, except I have not installed my hatch spoiler yet (need mounting kit) and mine car sits slightly lower than yours. Oh, and I have black interior.

I also had the same big a$$ box in my car very shortly after I bought the car. I could not stand having a cracked front spoiler.

Not all 850R wagons came with hatch spoilers. My car ('96 850R wagon) was not ordered with a spoiler from the factory or as a port/dealer installed option. They were an option just like on your "average" 850 wagon. The 850 wagon spoiler did NOT have the high mount stop light built in. That was the later ('99ish-'00) first gen V70s.

Last edited by xjflexer; 07-27-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: because I felt like it...
Old 07-27-2013, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by xjflexer
johnwartr, Good looking car! Your R is almost identical in appearance to my R, except I have not installed my hatch spoiler yet (need mounting kit) and mine car sits slightly lower than yours. Oh, and I have black interior.

I also had the same big a$$ box in my car very shortly after I bought the car. I could not stand having a cracked front spoiler.

Not all 850R wagons came with hatch spoilers. My car ('96 850R wagon) was not ordered with a spoiler from the factory or as a port/dealer installed option. They were an option just like on your "average" 850 wagon. The 850 wagon spoiler did NOT have the high mount stop light built in. That was the later ('99ish-'00) first gen V70s.
Interestingly, the instructions for the spoiler with 3rd brake light reference how to install them on an 850 as well as on a V70.. so while they may not have been available for the 850s originally, they did intend for people to install them!

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the OEM 3rd brake light on my car when I install the spoiler with the 3rd brake light. I can remove it, but the tailgate cover panel has a cutout for the factory 3rd brake light.. and I don't want the hump with no 3rd brake light, and I don't want a hole there. Perhaps a V70 tailgate cover?

Old 07-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Administrator

I picked up a V70 rear hatch that has the LED brake light in it. I plan to swap it out but have not yet.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 PM
BFR

Originally Posted by xjflexer

This website bears you out, at least if U.K. market cars were the same as the U.S. market cars on this issue

T-5R and 850R

The site says the spoiler on the T-5R was standard on the sedan and optional on the wagons. It was a common option, but it was an option, the site says. Many interesting facts about the R's in any case.

I checked with my local dealer and both the wagon spoiler (P/N 9134941) and the mounting hardware (P/N 9499234) are still available. I was quoted $248 and $48 respectively. Pretty amazing that this stuff is still around! But if you add paint into the mix this would be a $500-600 project easy. Not sure it's worth that much to me so I'm going to keep searching in the yards and online.