Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

93 Volvo 850 GLT AC compressor issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Volvo 850 GLT AC compressor issues

so I have a 93 Volvo 850 GLT great running condition well Maintenced. Oddly enough the a/c compressor work prior to inspection after inspection shockingly didn't work the same compressor kicks on kicks off kicks on kicks of ECT. I thought it was the relay replaiced the relay still the same thing any thoughts???

Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There could be a leak and maybe now it's low on refrigerant. There are many threads and info on the web regarding re-shimming your compressor if you know for sure there is sufficient refridgerant in the system.

Get a good A/C gauge, put it on the low side service port located behind right front head lamp. Turn on the a/c on max cool. When the compressor starts cycling on and off (kicking on/off) look at the gauge. If it stays below 20psi add some R134A refridgerant, but not the entire 12oz can. If it keeps cycling, look at the gauge and see if it approaches 25psi. If it is still low then put in the rest of the can.

The temperature in the cabin should of dropped a couple of degrees

If nothing has changed, and you really love your car, take it to an A/C repair place and get a written estimate of repairs with a list of parts. This should only take them an hours worth of their time. They could charge anywhere between 60 to 90 U.S dollars. If there is a leak they should at least tell you in what area it's coming from.

Doing it this way, finding out what to replace and doing the labor yourself, will save you some money. There are many people on this forum that can guide you through the repairs. They have certainly helped me.

There was a thread a week ago of someone getting everything done to their A/C professionally and he was happy how it came out. He could of done it himself but he was fortunate enough to have it done for him. He paid over $1000 dollars.

Good luck, let us know what yu find out

Old 05-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by louiebay
There could be a leak and maybe now it's low on refrigerant. There are many threads and info on the web regarding re-shimming your compressor if you know for sure there is sufficient refridgerant in the system.

Get a good A/C gauge, put it on the low side service port located behind right front head lamp. Turn on the a/c on max cool. When the compressor starts cycling on and off (kicking on/off) look at the gauge. If it stays below 20psi add some R134A refridgerant, but not the entire 12oz can. If it keeps cycling, look at the gauge and see if it approaches 25psi. If it is still low then put in the rest of the can.

The temperature in the cabin should of dropped a couple of degrees

If nothing has changed, and you really love your car, take it to an A/C repair place and get a written estimate of repairs with a list of parts. This should only take them an hours worth of their time. They could charge anywhere between 60 to 90 U.S dollars. If there is a leak they should at least tell you in what area it's coming from.

Doing it this way, finding out what to replace and doing the labor yourself, will save you some money. There are many people on this forum that can guide you through the repairs. They have certainly helped me.

There was a thread a week ago of someone getting everything done to their A/C professionally and he was happy how it came out. He could of done it himself but he was fortunate enough to have it done for him. He paid over $1000 dollars.

Good luck, let us know what yu find out
Will do I'll run over to the nearest supply place a sap I think you're on to something lol prior to the compressor but acting up like it is the cabin temperature was very low I do love my car but there's no way I'm dropping a thousand dollars into it I'm very handy and will do everything you suggested thank you very much