Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

94 volvo 850t wagon died

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 volvo 850t wagon died

Hello- I have searched this forum over and over about my issue but have not found a similar problem. I recently changed my email so I had to change my user name too. For some reason no power is going to the fuel pump at the connector. I replaced the fuel pump relay with a new one and the fuel injection relay. Still no power to the pump. 12+ volts to the fuse #2 but the relay is not grounding through the ecu and letting power go to the pump. The car just died on the road earlier. Any ideas out there? I thought about a good used ecu as another option. The car turns over strong but no start because no fuel. I also noticed that the rpm gauge doesn't move when I crank it over. Is there something connected to the ecu that would prevent power to the fuel pump?

I read the cam sensor will cause no voltage to fuel pump and that the ecu's really never go bad?

Last edited by danthevolvoman2; 08-10-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Former Sponsor

The ECU tells the fuel pump relay turn on but the power to the pump does not come directly from the ECU. When the car is in the on position, is power getting to the fuel pump relay? If not, then there is an issue with the wiring somewhere. I would trace all the wiring out to see if anything broke. Also, check the ground wire at the fuel pump to see if it came loose.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danthevolvoman2
Hello- I have searched this forum over and over about my issue but have not found a similar problem. I recently changed my email so I had to change my user name too. For some reason no power is going to the fuel pump at the connector. I replaced the fuel pump relay with a new one and the fuel injection relay. Still no power to the pump. 12+ volts to the fuse #2 but the relay is not grounding through the ecu and letting power go to the pump. The car just died on the road earlier. Any ideas out there? I thought about a good used ecu as another option. The car turns over strong but no start because no fuel. I also noticed that the rpm gauge doesn't move when I crank it over. Is there something connected to the ecu that would prevent power to the fuel pump?

I read the cam sensor will cause no voltage to fuel pump and that the ecu's really never go bad?
Ck for spark. Pretty sure if the ECU doesn't see other prerequisite signals (e.g. cam sensor to make spark..) then it won't command the fuel pump to turn on.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:40 AM

Thanks fcpgroton and gdog. Should have the cam sensor today, have the other one off and it looks old, will post back tonight or tomorrow. Also going to check the crank sensor should be 200-500ohm, if not its needs to be replaced. Any other usual suspects that fail?

Anybody now exactly where the ground point is for the fuel pump, is it near the pump, cant see where the black wire goes, any other usual suspects as far as wiring goes?

Are there any other sensor checks I should do, just trying to troubleshoot first? Cannot afford to keep dumping money and I appreciate all the help with this so far.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 PM

So do you have spark or not?

Fuel pump ground connection (according to schematic i have) is behind rt rear seat.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:20 PM

Sorry been really busy running around finding a fuel pump this morning.

I checked every sensor on this car, all were in specs.

Turns out the 12 volts to the pump shuts off after a few seconds with the ignition in position 2, i heard the relay click off after a few seconds when the car was not cranking over.

The pump itself was shot anyway because I pulled the pump out to check it and bypassed the fuel pump relay so 12 volts was going to the pump continuous. I tapped the pump on the side and the fuel blew out all over my body and car, ****, my face is still burning in places. The pump then shut off again even with the 12 volts going to it, tapped it ran then shut off after a couple seconds. SHOT... This ended around 800pm last night.

So I called fcp groton at the groton store this morning and Brian told me he sold the last pump at 430pm on Friday (last night) which is right around the time I was doing all this, Friday the 13 jinx.

I ended up at napa and bought a pump # FE0055 (aftermarket insert) this morning, cost me 279.00, but I had to buy it.

The buttwipe cop last night told me if I didn't have the car moved in 24hours he was going to have it towed, it was in a parking lot for christ sakes not bothering anything, a major expense for me because then the stealership would have given it to me good along with the cost of the tow.

I had my buddy go with me after dark to tow it home with a rope and the cop was still sitting there and even waved at us, grrrrr.

I have always had european cars and always had some sort of warning when my pump was failing, not this time, it just died.

The car is running strong with no troubles, even running better.

Thanks for everything I hope this information helps someone else in the future.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 PM

Dang, you probably could have got it home with a friend driving and you tapping on the pump...

Seriously, glad you got it fixed. For future reference, be more careful with fuel; not only does it burn your face but... well you know it can be quite dangerous!!

Man, that cop had nothing better to do???