Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

97' 850 Looking for advice on a couple issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97' 850 Looking for advice on a couple issues

First thing, I've been think of cleaning PCV system and would like some more information about it. Looking for anything that could help as I don't know much about it.

I recently replaced the starter and noticed what appears to be a vacuum line that is torn. There is a part that attaches to the air intake near the throttle body. It locks into the hose on the side towards the rear of the car. There are two hoses/tubes connected to it that run underneath the intake manifold toward the passenger side. The smaller of these to hoses which appears to be a vacuum line is torn. I tried to track down where the other end connects to. I think it connects to the passenger side of the intake manifold. It is also torn loose there. Any info on this would be great.

And finally, I have been thinking of replacing my transmission. Most likely with a junkyard donor or doing a rebuild. It leaks trans fluid very badly especially in winter. It doesn't seem to slip unless fluid is low but it clunks when shifting into drive from park sometimes and also from drive to reverse or vice versa. I replaced the driver's front cv shaft about a year ago because I thought there was a lot of play in it. After I put the new shaft in there was still about the same amount of play. It seems to me that something is wrong in the output end of the transmission. This I think would explain the clunking. There is 280,000 miles on the car and as far as I know trans has never been flushed. I found a trans from a 96' 850 at a local junkyard. They say it has 116,000 miles on it and are asking $225. I also recently got idea to attempt a rebuild or partial rebuild. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the long post but I figured I would get all these items taken care of in one shot. I thank anybody who replies with any advice/info for any of these items in advance.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What advice about the vac line do you want? If it's torn, replace it.

And where is it leaking fluid from? It's very rare for the gasket between the two halves to leak fluid. Do a fluid change in the trans if it's never been done. Did you replace the axle seals when you replaced the axles? All of your engine mounts/transmission mounts in good shape? Will explain clunking if they're non existent.

And can't really do a rebuild. You would have to use used transmissions since you can't buy internal Volvo transmission gears separately, only remanned trannys.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:14 PM

Well I wasn't really sure if it was a vacuum line or not. I don't know what the piece it attaches to is or if where I think it connects to is the right place.

I think it is coming from where the axles go in. I didn't not replace any seals. Can they be replaced without pulling the trans? I've heard that once a trans has that many miles without a flush or fluid change it wasn't good to change. I guess I was just stating that as a piece of background info. It goes through so much fluid it is kind of flushing itself anyway.

Does $225 for a tranny with 116,000 on it sound like a good price. Not really what a reasonable price is on something like that.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 PM

Engine and trans mounts seem good. I watched the engine as I shifted gears and it doesn't move much.

I have a friend who's engine would almost hit the firewall when shifting. Doesn't really pertain at all to this but sort of funny piece of info.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 PM

Check your trans hoses at the radiator for leaks; it may be as simple as getting new O-rings or replacing the hoses.

For a tranny with that many miles, it's best to swap out the fluid a bit at a time instead of doing a full flush.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by jrmcgove
Well I wasn't really sure if it was a vacuum line or not. I don't know what the piece it attaches to is or if where I think it connects to is the right place.

I think it is coming from where the axles go in. I didn't not replace any seals. Can they be replaced without pulling the trans? I've heard that once a trans has that many miles without a flush or fluid change it wasn't good to change. I guess I was just stating that as a piece of background info. It goes through so much fluid it is kind of flushing itself anyway.
If any line is torn. Replace it. And if it's leaking from the axle seals, replace the axle seals. No, you do not need to pull the transmission. Pull out the axles, pop in new seals, put axles back in. done.

Don't flush it. Drain it, and refill it.

Engine and trans mounts seem good. I watched the engine as I shifted gears and it doesn't move much.

I have a friend who's engine would almost hit the firewall when shifting. Doesn't really pertain at all to this but sort of funny piece of info.
You need to get under the car and look. Check the front and rear hydraulic mounts to make sure they're not leaking any fluid. Check the side engine mount, check the transmission mount to see if the bushing is torn, and check the upper engine mount to make sure the bushing isn't torn as well. Seeing as how the axle seals have never been replaced, I'm guessing the mounts aren't going to look too pretty.

Last edited by gilber33; 02-14-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:21 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Rebuilding automatic tranny is difficult even for professionals. You would need an accurate service manual, exact matching parts and by the time you have prepared all of the above, you would realise that it was cheaper just to swap it out with another unit.

If the tranny has never been flushed, leave it alone like the other members suggested. With a tranny like yours, complete flush would dislodge gunks that have built up over the years/miles and will block tiny fluid passages. I would keep adding generic Dexron-III/Mercon to the correct level until you get another tranny.

I hope this is of some use.

JPN

Old 02-16-2011, 04:28 PM

The torn vacuum lines referrred to by the throttle body sounds like the PCV return hoses. It is probably time for that maintenance item anyhow.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by docmot
The torn vacuum lines referrred to by the throttle body sounds like the PCV return hoses. It is probably time for that maintenance item anyhow.

If it's time to do PCV maint., wouldn't it just be easy to buy a kit and just replace them all?

Old 02-17-2011, 03:11 AM
JPN

Originally Posted by somthngfrce
if it's time to do pcv maint., wouldn't it just be easy to buy a kit and just replace them all?
+1

jpn

Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding vacuum lines -- you need to look at the Vacuum Diagram under the hood and trace your lines based on that. Yes, there is a vacuum line that goes from the Vacuum tree (adjacent to Throttle Body) to the rear -- to the PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient valve, which is where intake duct connects to the Turbo). Just follow the diagram, and of course, replace torn vacuum lines (easier than washing the car).

850 Transmission are very durable. 110k miles are nothing on these transmission, unless they have been abused.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 AM

Probably would be. That's why I was asking for more info on the PCV system. I looked at that kit but don't where or what most of that stuff is. Wish it had a parts list.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 AM

Probably would be. That's why I was asking for more info on the PCV system. I looked at that kit but don't where or what most of that stuff is. Wish it had a parts list.
Google it. You will find plenty of information.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Just order the PCV kit. If it hasn't been replaced in the past 5 years or 60k, it needs to be replaced anyway. Especially if you have a torn or blown hose.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:53 PM

Ok, for the transmission issue. I found a transmission that was apparently from a car that was used for crash testing. It is out of a '98 V70 and has been at the junkyard I got it from since '99. So the claimed mileage of 1000 seems like it could be accurate. Only problem is the pan on the front, which I believe has the valves and some electronics under it is dented. So right away I pulled this cover to check for damage. I found a part (no clue what it is called or what it does) that is located in the center of all the parts under this cover. It looks like a little servo motor or something. The pan was pushed right up against this part and it is broken. I'm wondering if I could swap this part out with the part that is on my current transmission. Perhaps, I should try to post a picture to give a better idea of what I'm talking about. Do you think I need to worry about any damage that isn't visible in this area? Thanks.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:52 PM

That sounds like the accumulator, but without looking at any photos I am speculating. Unless you get this "1000 miles" transmission for free and have no problem installing and removing the transmission again and again, I would buy a good unit at JY for $ 200, without any damage.

If you are looking for system diagrams with part-lists go to

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com

Old 02-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I would stay away from a transmission that I know has been sitting for 12 years. Especially one that has impact damage. Try to find something that has just died, like a car with a blown head gasket or fresh wreck. Hopefully not connected to the front wheels (no wheel damage).

Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 AM
JPN

Originally Posted by rspi
I would stay away from a transmission that I know has been sitting for 12 years. Especially one that has impact damage. Try to find something that has just died, like a car with a blown head gasket or fresh wreck. Hopefully not connected to the front wheels (no wheel damage).
↑+1.

N/A:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/category-ex...136/by_year/47

Turbo:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...category_id/64

After you have serviced the PCV system (make sure to buy a gasket for the intake manifold), I would replace the oil cap seal, engine oil dipstick O-ring and other seals that are leaking oil.

JPN

Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 PM

I have attached a photo, hopefully it works. Never attached photos on here before. The red arrow is pointing to the crack on the damaged part. And the green arrow is point to another part that appears to be slightly bent.

I do know of another transmission in the area they may be more recently put in junkyard. The car has a blown engine. It has 175,000 miles on it and they are asking $225. Seems like too much money and too many miles to me. Any thoughts.

Not sure if it makes a difference but the tranny I got was stored in a warehouse and had about 4-5 qts of very clean fluid in it when I got it.

Attached Thumbnails 97' 850 Looking for advice on a couple issues-dscn0269-1.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011, 06:50 PM

That's the valve body. Red arrow seems like the Line Pressure solenoid to me. The green one seems like the one of the two Shift Solenoids. You would need a diagram (or turn the body around) to definitely tell.

You could theoretically change out the valve body, I am not sure if you can get one for less than $ 150-200.

I would say -- forget about that transmission -- who knows what other shocks it has endured. If you want a class project for school though, that is a good candidate.

The 175k miles transmission -- if it has been maintained, i.e. fluid changed, these transmission will probably outlive the car. If you get 30 days warranty, if the fluid looks good, and it shifts fine, you should have no problems as long as you change out the fluid.

Quick Reply: 97' 850 Looking for advice on a couple issues