Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Aftermarket Keyless entry system

Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Keyless entry system

Hi everyone!

I just got myself an 850, and this is my first post on this forum. I stumbled across the forum looking for information on how to install an aftermarket keyless entry system in my Volvo. I've installed these systems in other cars before, but I did have some trouble locating some of the wires. So since I didn't find the exact answers I needed online, I figured I would share how I did it, in case someone else are trying to install any of these systems.

First, My car is a 94 850 with power locks, but no factory keyless entry system installed. The aftermarket system I installed is the Valet 712T from DEI, but I've installed Bulldog Security systems in other cars before, and the wiring (including the color codes) were the same, I actually had to reference some old Bulldog installation diagrams, since the Valet instructions was lacking a bit. I imagine it would be very similar to other manufacturers systems as well. Also, I was only worried about operating my door locks, and did not hook up any other features such as horn or flashing lights.

So here is how to do it:

You only need to locate four things: 12v constant, ground, the lock wire and the unlock wire.

Everything is located under the dash / behind the kick panel and on the floor of the drivers side.

1) Start by opening at least one window to prevent from locking yourself out while you do this. I did just that when I left the car and closed the door not realizing I just locked all the doors while testing and also had my keys sitting on the passenger seat...

2) Remove the lower dash panel and pull aside the carpet on the left side. I also removed the trim panel inside the door sill, and opened the plastic cover that covers the wires running alongside the floor to the back of the car.

3) You can get 12 volt from a number of places, I got it from the red wire running along a number of wires coming from the firewall.

4) Ground, also easy, I hooked up to a screw somewhere on the left side.

5) Lock Wire. This wire runs along the floor inside the door sill and up in the left side under the dash. The wire is gray and yellow. I hooked on to it in the door sill for easier access rather than trying to hook up were it runs up under the dash. If you hook up a test wire to it, it should lock the doors when connected to ground. This also means that it is a negative system as opposed to positive system used on a lot of American cars, so you need to hook up your unit accordingly, but I'll get back to that.

6 Unlock Wire. Everything went smooth until I started looking for the unlock wire. According to sources I found online, the wire is supposed to be red and gray. And this is were I got confused and cut a few wires that did not do the trick. Now, there are two different Red and Gray wires running next to the yellow and gray wire on the floor next to the door sill. Neither of those wires will do the trick. If you stick your head under the dash and look up, you will see a couple of different gray and red wires. I tried a couple of those as well with no luck, until I realized that what you really need is the wire that comes from the drivers door. So locate the wires coming out of the little hole from the drivers door. At first it looks like it will be impossible to hook up to that wire due to the location, but if you gently pull the wire (just the one, not the whole bundle) you should be able to pull it far enough so that it just sticks out below the dash making it easier to hook up to it. Again, if you connect this wire to ground, it should unlock the doors.

7) Now all you gotta do is hook up the wires on the harness that came with your unit. Here are all the wires you need to worry about.

So these are the hookups for the Valet, and also for Bulldog Security systems:

Red - 12v constant
Black - Ground
Blue & Black - Unlock Wire
Green & Black - Lock Wire
Violet (or purple) - Ground
Violet & Black - Ground

These are all the wires you need to hook up to get the keyless entry system to operate your power locks. Also, since this is a negative system the Violet and Violet & Black wires are grounded, if it was a positive system, they would have to be connected to 12v constant instead.

That's it! Hopefully it will help others trying to install one of these systems!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for write up! I have been thinking of doing this to my 95 850.

I installed an aftermarket RKE in the wife's saturn; used the Commando KE-30. It seems to work fine but the instructions were terrible. Do you have any experience with the Commando line?

Old 03-15-2009, 07:47 AM

I have no experience with Commando systems. I've used Bulldog Security KE1702 before. It seems like most of these systems are very similar though. The instructions for the Valet were really lacking, but it says on the box it's for authorized installers only, so I suspect they have more detailed vehicle specific references. I found the Bulldog Security instructions to be easier to follow, and they also have more wiring diagrams available online, and I ended up using their instructions to figure out my Valet system. Luckily they used the same color codes on their wires.

These systems are cheap enough and easy enough to install, and I guess the Commando would be as good as any of the others. The last Bulldog system I installed was $39 from amazon, and it gave me 2 problem free years before I sold the car it was sitting in.

I've always used these systems to control the door locks only. I'm hesitant to wire it for starter immobilizer and other features just in case something would go wrong with the unit.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Default Help?

Necroposting, but I'm hoping someone will see this. Wound up here from google.

Ok, so I followed the instructions last weekend. Everything worked just fine with the door open. Locked and unlocked with the remote. Then I closed the door. The remote lock worked, but unlock doesn't. I can hear the relay inside the car firing to unlock, but it won't unlock. Just now (this weekend now that I had time), I tried connecting to the yellow/gray wire coming from the door (right next to the unlock wire in OPs instructions) for the unlock. But this has the same result. Locks/unlocks with the door open (or ignition on/car running), but won't unlock once the doors are closed and locked.

Here's what I've found and what I'm thinking to make it work. If I lock the car with the windows down using the panel switch, the remote will unlock the car. So if I use the wire coming from the dash switch to lock, the unlock should work. The question is where is this wire, and what color is it? I'm going to dig through electrical diagrams and try to decipher it, but don't know if I'll have any luck...