Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Anyone paid dealer to replace radio bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone paid dealer to replace radio bulbs?

Just curious what the charge was. I know theres a few writeups on here about doing it yourself, but I wondered what it costed to have it done.
thanx

Old 04-19-2007, 02:47 AM
Default RE: Anyone paid dealer to replace radio bulbs?

It's an easy job, but I'm sure they'd charge you a lot, because it probably isn't worth their time lol.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:01 AM

ORIGINAL: RedTurbo850

It's an easy job, but I'm sure they'd charge you a lot, because it probably isn't worth their time lol.
You mean their $100/per hour time? Scumbags.
I just replaced them in my SC-815 myself. VERY Easy. I am bored as hell right now and cant sleep, so I just removed those from the stock tape player (SC-710) and used 3 of those bulbs. They're the same ones. If they fail I'll buy new ones, as its easy enough to get in there. The Sc-815 is only slightly different then the SC-816.

Regardless, heres an awesome link: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/vol...eplacement.php

Old 04-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer will not replace the bulbs. They will sell you a new head unit. The will not even sell the bulbs.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this apply to the Sc811 too? My radio has the same problem and it looks like the LCD display has integrated backlight. Doesn´t sound like there is a bulb I can replace, or is there?

Old 04-19-2007, 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: JimKW

The dealer will not replace the bulbs. They will sell you a new head unit. The will not even sell the bulbs.
Not sure why they told you that, they do in fact sell the bulbs alone.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: axelm

Does this apply to the Sc811 too? My radio has the same problem and it looks like the LCD display has integrated backlight. Doesn´t sound like there is a bulb I can replace, or is there?
It looks to be the same setup as the others, so I don't see why not.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was about two years ago when I tried to get bulbs and they said they didn't sell them. I ended up rewiring the plastic bases with bulbs I got from Radio Shack, Just recently I bought bulbs from a Honda dealer that are supposed to work. Have not tried them yet though.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:25 PM

One more thing I wanted to note. A day after I did the bulb replacement in my SC-815 CD player, I noticed two things.

1. A couple of buttons were very dim. Namely the POWER and a few others. I assumed it was just because I used "used" bulbs from the other tape player.

2. A few of the buttons would not make contact with the circuit board so therefor those functions wouldnt work. Namely the track FWD and BCK buttons as well as the FM1 and FM2 buttons.
(This made me take it apart again)

Here's what I found.
In removing the faceplate of my SC-815, I realized that the circuit board itself, is heldto the unitby(4) small narrow metal tabs. Two top, two bottom.These tabsprotrude through narrowslotsin theboard and are then turned about 90degrees to brace it. I used a set of small needle nose pliers. (side note: these arent meant to be twisted on and off more then once or twice so be VERY gentle)

After I'd twisted these, and removed the board to do the bulb replacement I put it back and twisted the (4) tabs. I was about to replace the faceplate, and I realized that the digital screen where all the track numbers/radio stations/etc. appear, had two metal tabs on its frame with holes on either side of it. Both were threaded, with the same size thread as all the rest of the screws used on the unit. I figured since this was a refurb., that whoever did the refurb, forgot (or lost) the two screws that reinforce the board to the unit. The tape player I'd dug into originally had these same type screws securing the board as opposed to the tabs.

So...I found two additional screws from the original tape player, same as those from the rest of the unit, and installed them on either side of the display. I put it all back together - all tabs snapped back in - and I reinstalled the outside scews.

All seemed fine aside from a dim lit button or two, till I realized a few didnt work today. I took it back apart this morning, trying to figure out how I must have bumped/moved one of the buttons on the board slightly out of place (i.e. - offsetting everything), and it dawned on me that the only change I'd made was those two additional screws. Looking closer to the faceplate, it became apparent that they were causing the problem. The faceplate has two tabs where those screws go, that have to sit firmly against them. Don't ask me WHY they're threaded. Not sure. Regardless - Removed the screws, installed, and all buttons work again. Tonight we'll see if they got any brighter being closer to the faceplate and the channels the light has to travel through. I would imagine they will.