Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Best OBD-II Reader for 96 850

Old 02-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best OBD-II Reader for 96 850

Like to hear user recommendations from anyone who has 1996 850 GLT with Jetronic engine management system. I'm after an OBD-II reader, preferably running PC or iPhone software via USB cable or Bluetooth. (PC software not essential so long as reader supports functionality below.)

Needs to have similar functionality to VOL-FCR in that it can read & clear both generic and Volvo-specific DTCs for all onboard modules, including Engine, Gearbox, ABS, Instruments, Immobiliser, Cruise Control, Power Seats, SRS, and Electronic Climate Control etc. Also reset Service Light and similar instrument panel warnings.

I have successfully tested demo VOL-FCR with VAG-COM cable on my car but VOL-FCR does not support Jetronic ECUs. (1996 850s came with a mix of Motronic and Jetronic ECUs - mine is Jetronic). Also, I'm in Australia and VOL-FCR will not sell full software into Australia.

So far as price, I'd hope to get a suitable setup for under $100 if at all possible.

So, if you, or someone you know, has had good experiences with an OBD-II reader to suit the above requirements, please let me know your recommendations and experiences. Thanks

Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=Davo96;343478]

Needs to have similar functionality to VOL-FCR in that it can read & clear both generic and Volvo-specific DTCs for all onboard modules, including Engine, Gearbox, ABS, Instruments, Immobiliser, Cruise Control, Power Seats, SRS, and Electronic Climate Control etc. Also reset Service Light and similar instrument panel warnings.

So far as price, I'd hope to get a suitable setup for under $100 if at all possible.[
/QUOTE]

If there is something out there for under $100 bucks that will reset all that I'd like to know too. I don't need it for mine but I'd buy it just to have it at that price!

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-25-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Kiss4aFrog;343493]
Originally Posted by Davo96

So far as price, I'd hope to get a suitable setup for under $100 if at all possible.[
/QUOTE]

If there is something out there for under $100 bucks that will reset all that I'd like to know too. I don't need it for mine but I'd buy it just to have it at that price!
Uh yeah, sign me up for one of those too!!

Sorry if we're getting our jollies at your expense but most generic scanners are OBD2 only (some also include OBD1) which is usually only the engine module codes and definitely not including the P1xxx ones since those are manufacturer specific. I.e. what you're asking for volvo proprietary.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Administrator

But in your defense there might be a software package out there that might be pretty cheap if it runs on a laptop where all you need is to buy is the software and the laptop to OBDII cable.

And I'm sure someplace down the line there will be a smartphone "App".

Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM

Guys, with the greatest respect, the purpose of a Forum is to be helpful, not to show how much you know (maybe) but how little you are prepared to share.

If you have useful information on the topic, please share it. If you have experience with an OBD reader set up that provides the functionality requested, then please let me know model and cost, even if it is significantly higher than the $100 mentioned. This will help a lot of people, not just me.

For your info - VOL-FCR from Ilexia UK is a PC software application that appears to address all of the requirements I outlined, at not much more than the $100 target I mentioned (plus $20 for a suitable USB interface cable). I've tested it, it works, and it seems to do everything I would need, except for two things: only works with Volvo 850s with Motronic (not Jetronic) engine/gearbox ECUs; and not available for purchase outside a select group of countries (not including Australia).

I would agree that dedicated OBD readers (or any sophisticated dedicated device) cost a lot. But when much of the smarts is provided by a program on a PC, all sorts of applications become feasible at well under the price of a dedicated device.

Granted, some of these PC applications have very limited functionality but I'm sure there are some out there that are very capable (see VOL-FCR above). What I am after is responses from people who have successfully used these types of OBD set ups and can recommend something suitable for my model of 1996 850 (Jetronic ECUs). If you can help, please advise and let me know where it is available. Thanks.

By the way, I agree that the current crop of OBD apps on iTunes store seem to have very limited functionality. I mentioned iPhone only from the point of view that these types of apps are getting greater functionality all the time. If anyone has come across an app in development, that meets the spec outlined, please let me know.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Administrator

I've been here for just short of 3 years and almost 2,000 posts and Gdog almost 5 years and 1,500.
Posting a reply to your question even if I'm not as helpful as you'd like is a way to mark the thread so if YOU get an answer I would get a copy to my Email if there is something out there.

Neither of us have seen anything like what you are describing but I would buy it if it was available as I almost spent 75 bucks plus postage just to purchase a special tool to reset my airbag light before I found out on my '95 it has a panel under the hood to do it. Around here the dealer will charge you that much just to roll in the door.

I'm still trying to find something economical for my Lincolns with the air suspension.

You need thicker skin if you think our answers are harsh. There are 116K + members and we are the only two (so far) to reply to your thread.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:14 AM

Hi Mr Frog. Not offended at all. Thanks for replying. Just remaining hopeful that there will be people who have used specific OBD reader set ups with success without spending hundreds of dollars. If they have, then would be helpful to hear what brands, details of setups, costs & results/limitations.
As you can see from the replies to date, there is no information provided that will help me or others to narrow the search for suitable OBD reader setups for Volvo 850.
What model have you used to date? Since it didn't work so well, it would be useful to cross that one off my list.
Stay tuned for other replies, as I'm hopeful there will be forum members who will respond with setups that are within the range of the average home mechanic but are surprisingly effective.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Administrator

I own a Equus 3120 OBDI and II tester in a blow molded case. Works great on the 850. If you want the hard case you need to order it separately. I have and have friends with OBDI GMs and Fords which is why I chose this one. If I was going to replace it I might get an Actron but I'd make sure it had ABS coverage. So far most of the scanners available don't have full coverage on ABS. They only do a limited number of popular makes.
If I charged more for my time I might be able to afford an OTC Genisys but they start out around $1,600 and I just don't do enough work to justify that kind of an investment.

Attached Thumbnails Best OBD-II Reader for 96 850-obd-i-ii-code-scanner-innova.jpg   Best OBD-II Reader for 96 850-obdii-scanner-actron.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 AM
Administrator

This is the extremely hard to find dedicated SRS (air bag) and service light reset tool I was going to buy before I found out the 95 had the self diagnostic and reset panel under the hood along with an OBDII port.
Draper part number 69007

Attached Thumbnails Best OBD-II Reader for 96 850-tool-draper-69007-srs-service-reset.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 AM
Smile

Thanks Kiss4aFrog. Very useful info. I'm having some success with some of my other queries elsewhere. Will let you know how I go once I test these units.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:01 AM

The only software (from my knowledge) beside the Volvo System Tester which will read the 96 2.5 20V is a german Software called Brickdiag.

The main problem is that the engine management (which in your case has 2 ECU's) are not standard OBD. Normally the ECU's need to be wired on the PIN 7 of the OBD Port. This is the normal location, where all code reader will try to connect.
The 2.5 20V has 2 ECU's, one for the ignition module (EZK) and one for the Fuel injection. The first one is located on PIN 1 of the OBD port, the second on PIN 3.

ECC is on 6, Cruise control 13.

The rest AW 50-42, ABS, SRS, Instrument cluster, Power seats are OBD-conform on PIN 7.

The tricky part is also that the ones which are not on PIN 7 are also not OBD II compliant, they are still OBD I, so even if you "re-wire" the code reader will not be able to connect and read the errors.
This is also not so bad for you as you could manufacture a small device wich a taster, LED and a resistor (see here OBD-II or Vol-Fcr Help) and you can do the reading yourself.

Regards
Cristian

Old 02-25-2014, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Davo96
Thanks Kiss4aFrog. Very useful info. I'm having some success with some of my other queries elsewhere. Will let you know how I go once I test these units.
Davo96, I wonder if you have been successful with your search for the OBD2. If so, could you avise me what you got and where.? I live near Melbourne Australia. My 850SE has a Jetronic system.
Regards,Jan

Old 02-25-2014, 10:43 AM

Im not 100 percent certain on what readers will do on your particular model, but, it sounds like you're looking for scan tool level software which is pretty expensive to come by. in the states, 1000 dollars is about the base line for an actual scan tool and its not uncommon to find people in shops using scan tools that are as much as 8000. A generic code reader will reset most codes that run on the regular pin's, but if it's on the pins designated "manufacturers discretion" a cheap code reader might not be wired for it.

the best place to look is some open source software. get an obdII connector from amazon or similar the supports all 16 pins (i think its 16, right?) and start looking for software. I hear "torque" is good, but i dont know about the specific functionality with volvo. Also I would consider using torrent sharing to download software you cant get normally if you have something in mind.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Administrator

I have Torque on my droid and a wireless connector Just haven't tried them out yet.

I keep forgetting I have that wireless connector and presently it's just too darn cold to play with the cars. Only doing what I have to until it gets warmer.

Attached Thumbnails Best OBD-II Reader for 96 850-obd-bluetooth.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-25-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by kyle17428
Im not 100 percent certain on what readers will do on your particular model, but, it sounds like you're looking for scan tool level software which is pretty expensive to come by. in the states, 1000 dollars is about the base line for an actual scan tool and its not uncommon to find people in shops using scan tools that are as much as 8000. A generic code reader will reset most codes that run on the regular pin's, but if it's on the pins designated "manufacturers discretion" a cheap code reader might not be wired for it.

the best place to look is some open source software. get an obdII connector from amazon or similar the supports all 16 pins (i think its 16, right?) and start looking for software. I hear "torque" is good, but i dont know about the specific functionality with volvo. Also I would consider using torrent sharing to download software you cant get normally if you have something in mind.
Indeed,my 1996 850 has a 16 pin port. www.ozshoppingheaven.com.au/car-fault-diagnostic-scanner-auto-code there OBD2 scanner D900 (AUD $45.53) may be worth a try. Thank you for the info.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
I have Torque on my droid and a wireless connector Just haven't tried them out yet.

I keep forgetting I have that wireless connector and presently it's just too darn cold to play with the cars. Only doing what I have to until it gets warmer.
Thank you also for responding. Had not seen the Elm327 yet , am not sure whether it will fit into the port.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Administrator

OBDII is a specific standard and there is no compatibility problem and there is only one size. It will fit anything OBDII 96 and newer and anything that had OBDII in 95, but few did.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:54 AM

Thanks Scutyde, Kyle & Froggy
Some worthwhile ideas to follow up on.

I'd pretty much given up, since VOL-FCR software for Windows XP PC, with serial to USB converter and USB to OBD connector from Internet, seems to be the only thing out there with a reasonable set of features and at anywhere near the price level for the home mechanic working on his own car. Despite all my PC skills (I fix computers and solve software problems for a living), the cracked versions of VOL-FCR software do not work fully or reliably. As mentioned in an earlier post, the UK makers of VOL-FCR will not allow purchase of genuine software for use in Australia, as crazy as that seems when I am willing to pay for it without any complaints if it doesn't work.

Currently using a local (Sydney Northern Beaches) Volvo & SAAB mechanic who has all the old factory OBD readers for early OBD Volvos. Charges a very reasonable fee for readouts and analysis plus service light resets etc.

Solved my failed ABS module problem very economically (compared to dealer genuine replacement unit at $100s) via the great service offered by Matt Pollack at www.midwest-abs.com in Michigan USA. Even with postage both ways, this still works out well. Fairly straightforward job following the videos, except for getting the plastic top off the motor housing and repairing the dodgy very un-Volvo wiring in that area and replacing the dreadful vacuum tube from airbox to manifold (took photos on how to handle these things if anyone is having the same problem). Matt's repair also fixes the Volvo fault in the circuitboard wiring that causes the genuine ABS unit to fail so often. Comes back very professionally finished with no evidence of damage to the external case. Thanks Matt.

Special tool needed (1/4" drive E-5 Torx socket) is available locally from SnapOn Tools trucks. Repair to flakey ABS wiring solved with "Liquid Electrical Tape" and outer covering from 6mm dia cable from Jaycar Electronics.

Fixing the ABS unit also fixes the speedo and the computer readouts in the instrument cluster.

Had a few hiccups in the first few weeks with Matt's fix. Thought "Oh no", when ABS cut out several times for periods of up to a few hours. However, re-seated the connectors to the ABS a couple of times and re-cleaned the ABS timing rings in each wheel. No problems since then and that was 12 months ago in April 2013.

Hope there's some info in here that helps a few of you. Really enjoying the 96 Volvo as a second car. Has all the good stuff like full sports pack, 4 air bags, climate control air, 3 memory leather electric front seats, great sound system & just about the classiest looking set of factory alloy wheels I've seen on any car. Can't believe how much better it handles than the 93 850 we used to have. Not as smooth and quiet as my 2011 model over bumps but handles almost as well.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:13 AM

Thanks to all. your help and information is much appreciated. Only issue so far with my 96 850 (267K) is fuel consumption on petrol ,only 10.5 km/ltre. on LPG i get 8.5 km/litre.ON Highway. [ Recent repairs :rear override springs+shocks (IPD) front struts ( FCP) ]

Old 01-04-2018, 04:01 PM

I bought a D900 OBD2 Reader for my 2007 XC90 and it doesn't connect to it. Nor does it connect to my 2004 Nissan Navara so I don't know if it works at all, or is just not compatible with my vehicles. It has 'Volvo' in the settings, just won't connect to the car's ECU.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best OBD-II Reader for 96 850