Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Blow off valve in an Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blow off valve in an Automatic?

Can you use a blow off valve on auto matic Turbo 850s?

Old 04-28-2010, 03:52 PM

Yes, but there is no point.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, it's dumb. It will go off every time you let off the gas pedal.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:37 PM

Well the reason i ask is i always thought on automatics people used wastegates if there is even a difference? Is there? or maybe how it vents differently within shifting between auto versus standard?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:40 PM

We use a CBV, the same thing as a BOV. Both use wastegates. Auto's don't vent when it shifts, haha. But anyways, in our system the air is rerouted into the induction system instead of an atmospheric BOV, which vents it into the engine bay, leaving the engine to run rich for a split second due to the lack of air and mass amount of fuel entering the combustion chamber

Old 04-28-2010, 04:41 PM

We use a CBV, or compressor bypass valve. What it does is it reroutes the metered air back into the induction system, instead of the engine bay which a BOV will usually do.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:48 PM

So does if a BOV doesn't vent upon shift change on an auto when does it? Just when it hits boost setting(example 19psi than dumps making that wooshing sound)?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 PM

When you let off the throttle, the engine creates vacuum again opening the BOV or in this case CBV venting to atmosphere or recirculating back to the intake system. When driving an auto you dont let off the accelerator to change gears like a manual gear box, so the engine does not create the vacuum need to open the BOV/CBV. Thats why the guys here are saying its a waste of time/money to get a BOV to vent to atmosphere just so you can hear the "whoosh" sound when you are pulling up to a stop light. Venting to atmosphere does nothing but allow any oil blow-by(if you have any) spray into your engine compartment.

Wastegates are what open to bypass exhaust gas to keep your turbocharger from "spooling" past the desired setting of the actuator.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 PM

i just put in a BOV in my auto t5
and i dont care wat anybody says BUT yea it does absolutly nothing in an automatic car, its basically just for show in an auto however i LOVE my BOV in my car aha the sound is soo amazing, honeslty wen u sit there and just rev till blow off with an ice sounding exhaust the car sounds MEAN its awesome to me totally worth it to have that BOV sound but its pointless and the runnign rich for a split second has no effect on the car either

Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by s_moneh
and i dont care wat anybody says

Exactly... Its your car. put it together the way you want.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:18 AM

Just get a conical filter and put it on, you can hear your CBC easily. It's pretty loud, but it's not like the HKS BOV.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:19 AM

ok guys on my auto t5 I swiss cheesed the box and nowupon full acceleration the turbo continues to spool building pressure with no limit until i let off the gas. I have not installed any bov or anything on it. Any idea what has happened? It's as if I created some sort of make shift bov or what?

Now on a stock t5 with automatic transmission what controls the boost? It's as I lost what was controlling it since this air box mod. i don't get it.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by s_moneh
i just put in a BOV in my auto t5
and i dont care wat anybody says BUT yea it does absolutly nothing in an automatic car, its basically just for show in an auto however i LOVE my BOV in my car aha the sound is soo amazing, honeslty wen u sit there and just rev till blow off with an ice sounding exhaust the car sounds MEAN its awesome to me totally worth it to have that BOV sound but its pointless and the runnign rich for a split second has no effect on the car either

Which BOV did you put in your auto t5?

i have been looking at IPD and europarts as they have the kits but wasn't sure if if they still needed welding in or what? If so I heard HKS has a very loud one. Do you know it?

Also have you opened up your airbox either by swiss cheesing it or a open cone cold air intake setup? I have put holes in my box and now my turbo spools up making non stop psi and vents when i let off the gas as if I created a BOV. It makes no sense to me. Maybe you know since you have an auto.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 AM

imo bov's only sound cool on cars or deisels pushing 30+ psi. you should hardly hear them between shifts even in a standard car. performance wise they actually hurt since you're throwing away all the pressure and creating turbo-lag instead of redirecting it from your ic tubes back into the intake

if you really want that woosh get a forge split valve. half diverter(recirc) and have bov. not nearly as bad as straight bov and its what i'm gonna run when i do my new turbo setup along with tial external wastegate

Last edited by holset850; 05-04-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by holset850
imo bov's only sound cool on cars or deisels pushing 30+ psi. you should hardly hear them between shifts even in a standard car. performance wise they actually hurt since you're throwing away all the pressure and creating turbo-lag instead of redirecting it from your ic tubes back into the intake

if you really want that woosh get a forge split valve. half diverter(recirc) and have bov. not nearly as bad as straight bov and its what i'm gonna run when i do my new turbo setup along with tial external wastegate
Is the forge dual piston same as the half diverter(recirc)? Also where have you heard this? Any video using this setup?

I always thought HKS made the loudest one people talked about?? Like the sequential blow off valve maybe? On that note does anyone know what is the loudest one rumored to be?

Old 05-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by binahnaphtali
Is the forge dual piston same as the half diverter(recirc)? Also where have you heard this? Any video using this setup?

I always thought HKS made the loudest one people talked about?? Like the sequential blow off valve maybe? On that note does anyone know what is the loudest one rumored to be?
lol !! I have the FORGE rec. valve.I have the new version which has a titanium plate instead of a rubber diaphragm which the old version had which I also used.

They dont make a "half diverter" valve.I dont know where holeset850 heard that nonsense.
They make a rec. valve which is a stiff spring and plate as well as a BOV kit.2 diff. valves not a "half" valve lmao !!

Heres a pic of the new diverter valve.

Last edited by B00$T CR33P; 05-04-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:01 PM

nonsense?? i wasn't talking about a bolt on for td04/5 turbos. half of it blows off and half recirculates. Its the Forge Splitter valve. Friend of mine has it on his k04'd 1.8t gti. it's more than loud enough. Don't flame me, i don't bs

$175 but it'd take some work to run it

Last edited by holset850; 05-05-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned

nonsense?? i wasn't talking about a bolt on for td04/5 turbos. half of it blows off and half recirculates. Its the Forge Splitter valve. Friend of mine has it on his k04'd 1.8t gti. it's more than loud enough. Don't flame me, i don't bs

$175 but it'd take some work to run it

lol well this thread is about VOLVO 850 TURBO's not VW 1.8T's

And you never said anything about it being for a VW till I told you there isnt one of those valves for a VOLVO.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:27 PM

hahaha. think outside the box man. sticking to volvo bolt ons will only get you as far as anyone else with a credit card and ipd link. it's UNIVERSAL you just gotta make it work. the kids looking for a bov anyways. which didn't come on any volvo's i know of so the volvo specific idea got ditched a while ago

i'm still lookin for a good housing btw... lol
untill i'm done building my compound setup

Old 05-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned

hahaha. think outside the box man. sticking to volvo bolt ons will only get you as far as anyone else with a credit card and ipd link. it's UNIVERSAL you just gotta make it work. the kids looking for a bov anyways. which didn't come on any volvo's i know of so the volvo specific idea got ditched a while ago

i'm still lookin for a good housing btw... lol
untill i'm done building my compound setup

lol FORGE make a BOV for 850 TURBO's.And its VOLVO specific.

and no turbo cars that I know of come stock with a BOV.Almost all turbo cars come stock with a rec. valve not a BOV .

Last edited by B00$T CR33P; 05-05-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Blow off valve in an Automatic?