Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Blower Motor Quit, AC and Recirulate Lights Flash

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blower Motor Quit, AC and Recirulate Lights Flash

Hello again!

Blower was squeaking and now it stopped. The round orange lights under the recirculate and ac controls flash when I attempt to use it.

My question is do I just need the motor, the motor with the blower assy, or the whole sha-bang with the motor/blower assy/resistor.

If I need the resistor how can I tell which one I need? I have a 1996 850 Turbo with dual climate controls.

I found a used resistor from a 97 GLT on ebay for around $50. Is it worth it to get a used one?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

From what I know you likely need a motor. If you want to use the old cage or not is up to you. One car I had I could not get the cage off without breaking it. Maybe you should pull it and try to get the cage off before you order.

I think your resistor is likely good. If it were bad I believe your motor would work in full speed mode.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You most likely need just the motor. You should get under there and test the power to the blower motor with a test light or a meter and if you have voltage it's likely only the motor. The squeaking was the warning you failed to heed. There is a chance you can take it apart and lube it and try it to see if it comes back but do something soon as if you keep trying to turn it on you may draw too many amps through the resistor and burn it out too.
I think there is something on Matthew's site about the blower motor R&R and then dis-assembly to lube it.

Attached Thumbnails Blower Motor Quit, AC and Recirulate Lights Flash-heat-ac-blower-motor-new-w-cage.jpg   Blower Motor Quit, AC and Recirulate Lights Flash-heat-ac-resistor-new.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-01-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your fan switch dont blow on any speed its most likely a bad resistor.but if you have some speeds that work could be the motor. so been there done that the shops are crazy high and if you do your research wont be to hard on the pocket regards Cam

Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by camerone
if your fan switch dont blow on any speed its most likely a bad resistor.but if you have some speeds that work could be the motor. so been there done that the shops are crazy high and if you do your research wont be to hard on the pocket regards Cam
Don't you have that backwards

If you have some speeds it means power is getting through part of the blower motor resistor and the fan is good since it's spinning but likely one or more of the circuits controlling the speeds inside the resistor have failed.

"If it don't blow on any speed" it's most likely a bad motor but could be a totally failed resistor but it's less likely the resistor.
Well, that's the way it works on my cars anyway.