Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Brake upgrade for T5-R

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake upgrade for T5-R

850 Brothers,

After doing research, it appears the 302mm rotor upgrade from 280mm is worth the price. You need to order the following parts for 302MM upgrade:

Pricing as of 04/2013
1. 302mm front disc rotors - $40.00 each (ATE Premium One rotors)
2. 302mm front caliper bracket - $47.65 each (factory Volvo part)
3. 302mm front front brake stainless steel hose - $19.75 each (Techna Fit)
4. front brake pads - $24 (ATE Premium One Pads)
5. Brake fluid - $15 (ATE Super Blue DOT4)

Do to the condition of my front brake calipers, I decided to replace them. The front brake calipers are not upgraded for 302mm brake upgrade!!!

6. rebuilt front disk brake caliper - $40 (Duralast)
*** I wish I had painted the rebuilt front calipers which are delivered in a coating of oil for rust protection or purchase them pre-painted ***

If I was to do this all over again, this is what I would do first:
1. Replace front brake pads with high quality pads such as ATE Premium One pads (I love these pads!!!)
2. Replace all brake fluid
3. Drive with new front brake pads for several weeks
3. Proceed to 302mm front rotor upgrade if braking performance didn't meet your needs

BTW - Replacing the front brake hoses was a nightmare!

*** If you have a 850 turbo, this front brake upgrade is a must ****

Last edited by T5-Rennen; 08-01-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added pricing
Old 03-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You should get longer hoses. I don't have the part number.

It's the same caliper so the pads should be the same. All you're doing is moving the caliper higher to get the rotor under it. The pad will have the same full surface contact, it's just more efficient in braking because of the increased mechanical advantage. Because you're moving the caliper up a bit it's the reason you should try to get longer hoses. Some people will argue they didn't change theirs and have had no problems but it's a problem waiting to happen as each time you have the wheel all the way over it's stretching the hose. You can get away with it in the short term.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Thank you for the reply KissAFrog! I have ordered all the parts required for the 302MM brake upgrade however I'm missing one part.

I'm trying to figure out which GoodRidge stainless brake hose kit to order for the 302MM brake upgrade.

Do I order for kit for a C70 or 850? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Administrator

If no one else jumps in I'd go for the 70's. You already know the 850 will be the shorter, stock one.

The way I found them was to search autozone or oreilly by changing years and models until I found some for a 60 or 70 series that by specification had the same ends but were longer.

If you look up your 850 first and find the correct length then you're searching for something an inch or so longer.

Maybe if you call FCP or IPD someone would know.

Also pay attention to wheel size if it asks as you'll want a hose for a 17" or bigger wheel. Stock they didn't put the bigger brakes on 15s or 16s that I know of. BUT from what I've researched the bigger brackets with the stock calipers will fit into the stock 16" wheel. But make sure for your specific wheel style if you're going to run 16's

This is from a 00 V70 Part Number: 79759 -- NOT saying this is the right one, just posting so you know what you're looking for. I do think the M10X1.0 is the correct end and it's the common Volvo one.

Brake Hose Assembly Length (In): 15
End 1 Fitting Material: Treated Steel
End 1 Type/Size of Fitting: Male - M10 x 1.0
End 2 Fitting Material: Treated Steel
End 2 Type/Size of Fitting: Female - M10 x 1.0

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-29-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do know that FCP does sell the brake lines in stainless for the upgrade in the correct length as I am been looking at doing this same upgrade to my 850T wagon.

I am also thinking of doing all 4 wheels. I find it interesting that many folks only talk about upgrading the front brakes, but no mention of the rears.

Why not also upgrade the rears to 302? Any one want to comment?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by autoxray
Why not also upgrade the rears to 302? Any one want to comment?
I'm not aware of an OEM solution for upgrading the rears however you can upgrade to the P2 "R" Brembo's but it's a pricey solution.

To use the P2 ('04-'07) "R" rear Brembo's, use the following custom bracket:

Rear Big Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets - 850 S70 V70 C70

I hope this helps

Last edited by T5-Rennen; 03-28-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
If no one else jumps in I'd go for the 70's. You already know the 850 will be the shorter, stock one.
Kiss4aFrog, You are a rock star on this forum! Thank you

Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Thank you.
I'm a mechanic but not a Volvo mechanic so a lot of the stuff I'm learning by doing a search right AFTER I read the question. Some of the stuff is easy and it's covered in general information I already know but once in a while something is really different and specific to Volvo.
Long story short, helping makes me learn more about my car. That and I like "Show and Tell", that's why I usually do pictures when I can.
I have about 45 years experience in repair and parts sales. I better be good for something !!!

That and being a car nut, I've researched doing things like the brakes, a 500HP engine and various crazy stuff on my Volvo. Being thrifty I also try to find ways to make better quality or performance parts retrofit the 850. I spend a fair amount of time researching threads of people who have already tried or done the stuff I'm curious about. All hail the internet !!!

As for the rears. There are brackets available to mount expensive calipers and go not only bigger but better. (Yes bigger is better, but)
There isn't anything cheap or OEM I've come across for the rears. Seeing that the fronts do around 70% of the braking the rears aren't as important which is why most drivers are happy with just doing the fronts.
Those brackets, just the brackets are $150.00 !! That is a reason not a lot of people choose to upgrade the rears.
Big Brake Bracket Kit 330mm for Wilwood Calipers Volvo 850 Rear | eBay That's $299.00 and still it's only bracket, hoses and some hardware not counting the calipers or rotors.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 AM

I agree about the front brakes doing most of the work.
In my case the rear calipers need to be replaced and I saw this 4 wheel upgrade kit at FCP to the 302.
Volvo Performance Brake Kit 302MM - FCP 850ULTKIT302 | FCP Euro

They actually have 2 options.

Has anyone purchased this kit from FCP?

Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 PM

You looking to get a better quality rotor?

I find R1 Concepts to produce a nice range of brake parts.

R1Concepts - OEM, Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors - Brake Pads - Brake Calipers

Can order brackets separate.

R1 also makes the best DIY kit for painting brake calipers.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:32 PM
BFR

Originally Posted by autoxray
I agree about the front brakes doing most of the work.
In my case the rear calipers need to be replaced and I saw this 4 wheel upgrade kit at FCP to the 302.
Volvo Performance Brake Kit 302MM - FCP 850ULTKIT302 | FCP Euro

They actually have 2 options.

Has anyone purchased this kit from FCP?

Thanks for sharing.
I'm very interested in installing this kit on my 850R wagon. I'd really like to get better stopping power and this kit seems pretty good for the money.

Dumb question -- I'm a bit concerned about changing out the brake lines. I have a power bleeder and can easily bleed the system after I put the new ones on and all that. But I remember a thread, which I can't for the life of me find now, which talked about how you have to cut a metal line, put a new nut on, and then re-flare it because the old line won't come off. No thanks if that's true. I wouldn't do that job if my life depended on it (which it would in fact, LOL!!). Naturally, FCP omits changing the brake line in its video about the process.

Anyone install an FCP 302mm kit or just replace their brake lines for any other reason? If so, how hard is it to replace the brake lines? Thanks!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:34 PM

I guess I must be alone here, but why do you want to upgrade your brake system? the setup you are wanting to go to will NOT stop your car any shorter than the stock brake system will - the limit on braking is tires, not brakes. The only way this will benefit you is if you're autocrossing it.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 AM

Actually a real upgrade would be to get another calipers with more pistons. The kit you presented is actually (apart from the flex lines) the "standard" 16" brake. The brake pads are the same as the standard 15" brake. Also keep in mind that not all 16" rims will fit Columbas for example will not fit over.
A friend of mine investet 1000€ in a 4 piston setup and the braking is incredible compared to a 16" setup. It's a lot of money I know...He also has over 350 bhp and wanted to be able to brake the car safely from the high speed.
If I were to choose I would change the 4 calipers with new ones or new refurbished (ATE are the original) and also the brake lines. ATE discs to round up. The difference should be noticeable.
Cristian

Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 AM

You could have 80 pistons in your caliper, but that wont do a thing (especially with ABS) if your tires are sliding. My point is this: braking, no matter HOW strong, is always going to be limited by your tires. If you can get your abs to engage with your current setup, you'll have the same stopping distance as you would with the best brake system in the world.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:51 AM

I don't think that the ABS engages when the road is not wet and/or slippery under normal braking. Actually I cannot remember to have the ABS to engage when braking on normal road even when I brake harder. ABS works fine on my car in winter it engages a lot, or when the road is wet.
After the point when ABS engages further brake power is indeed irrelevant. However I drove all 3 versions : standard 15", standard 16" (a little better but not worth 500$ IMHO), and the big race brake 17" which was a revelation (like throwing an anchor ).

Old 07-24-2013, 03:04 AM

This is the Kit I am talking about K-Sport Volvo 850 (LW) Bremsanlage Vorn 330x32mm 8 Kolben, 1.790,00 €, I had the wrong price in my memory

Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 AM
BFR

Originally Posted by ibified
I guess I must be alone here, but why do you want to upgrade your brake system? the setup you are wanting to go to will NOT stop your car any shorter than the stock brake system will - the limit on braking is tires, not brakes. The only way this will benefit you is if you're autocrossing it.
No you're not alone here. This is why I post - when I'm just considering something :-); I'm seriously doubting the cost/benefits too. After posting I did more digging and indeed, the lines are known to be a bytch to get off, especially the back ones I wouldn't tackle that myself and would probably have to pay my mechanic 300 or so to do it. Couple that with the $250 premium over a stock size 11" Brembo rotor and pad kit and the ordeal really doesn't seem worth it, absent some proof of serious improvement in stopping ability.

Last edited by BFR; 07-24-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't know if there is a difference in changing the calipers or not but I do believe that some set-ups take less effort to get the action you want and the biggest deal is how soon your current system will experience BRAKE FADE. I almost killed myself one day dealing with a jerk in my way. Had to make a few moves in the traffic to try to get away from him and before I knew it my brakes were worthless. It was like the pads were wet or something. I had to take the shoulder to avoid an accident.

I believe a better system will reduce those odds when driving in agressive situations.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:19 AM
BFR

Originally Posted by rspi
I don't know if there is a difference in changing the calipers or not but I do believe that some set-ups take less effort to get the action you want and the biggest deal is how soon your current system will experience BRAKE FADE. I almost killed myself one day dealing with a jerk in my way. Had to make a few moves in the traffic to try to get away from him and before I knew it my brakes were worthless. It was like the pads were wet or something. I had to take the shoulder to avoid an accident.

I believe a better system will reduce those odds when driving in agressive situations.
Fade is caused by excess heat, so in this regard, in theory, a larger rotor has more area so might stay cooler. Also the FCP 302mm kits have cross drilled or slotted rotors, and that helps with cooling too. I have no doubt they'd make sense for a track car.

This said, even the wimpiest stock system shouldn't fade to that point with a little aggressive street driving. I once ran a 1998 Civic around Road America for a driving school. It had rear drums and tiny front discs. RA is fast with a lot of long straights followed by tight turns, so a lot of hard braking. The Civic's brakes did start fading, but it took awhile and it was gradual. Never did it threaten not to stop.

So maybe your rotors are old and glazed? Or your pads are worn, or there's a soft rubber line somewhere. I would assume these cars have very decent brakes for day to day use.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 PM

And when you're stopping on dry pavement and NOT engaging the ABS, I am willing to bet your foot isnt slammed to the floor on the brake pedal.

The comment about brake fade, however, is absolutely correct. A larger caliper and larger rotor WILL act as a heat sink and bleed off the heat that causes brake fade. What actually causes brake fade is that the rotors get hot to the point that the heat is transferred to the fluid, and fluid boils. You arent gonna see that in day to day driving.

If you plan on autocrossing this car, I MIGHT consider switching to STOCK 70 series brakes. Anything beyond that is probably going to be overkill.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade for T5-R